Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open Pictures

Just thought I'd share this. I emailed the studio that took those pictures. The smaller prints offered were $7.50 each. I inquired as to the price of the jpg images just for web purposes......$10 each. Ouch! Seems kinda backwards don't it?

Chris,

I'm not so sure. Digital cameras and computer equipment/software depreciate so rapidly now, that the cost of doing business has shot through the roof. When I started shooting professionally, the major camera makers were releasing a new Pro model every ten years. Now it's every two. The two new cameras I bought 25 months ago for $ 10,000 have been discontinued. They were selling for about $2700.- new just rpior to that. Replacements will be out in April, at a probable street price of $8000-9000 for a pair. The files the new cameras produce, are twice as big as the files from the last, necessitating the acquisition of more storage media (compact flash cards) and most likely new computers. Price the high-end gaming set-ups and you've got an idea what it takes to process images for a living.

I looked at a few of the images --- and this photographer appears to be a professional sports photographer. I'm pretty sure he's making a middle-class income.... not more.

I haven't bought any yet but plan to. Your reasoning makes sense Flex. The guy is just trying to make a buck. I know I've taken pictures of shooting before with regular cameras, digital, and video and you sure as hell can tell the difference when you see a professional's shots.

I was planning on buying on few JPGs, but that was before I got his price. I'm not opposed to anybody making a buck on their work, but I think those prices are taking "making a buck" a bit too far.

The 'value' of match photos seems to decrease pretty rapidly after a match. Everybody's interested in the first week, but in 3 months, very few people care anymore. Try offering $5 at that point. The photog can get value from the really good pictures people want right now, and some residuals from the individuals that think 'it would be cool to have a copy of that', later on.

I was planning on buying on few JPGs, but that was before I got his price. I'm not opposed to anybody making a buck on their work, but I think those prices are taking "making a buck" a bit too far.

I would think that the JPGs he's selling at that price are high res. Buy that and you can print all you want as well as resize for web use. Basically I think he is charging for taking away his ability to make money from the image by purchasing the ability to print it on your own.

Good point. I was looking at it solely from the perspective that JPGs would not involve the material, labor, or equipment utilization that the physical prints would to produce, so I found it hard to believe he wanted more for the JPGs than the actual prints. Basically all he's got to do is remove the "proof" text from the prints and email them off. Pretty easy money, though a lesser amount than for the prints...especially when compared to no return at all for labor already invested.

It must have been a lot of work getting everybody at the match to sign release forms so he could copyright everybodys image.

Should also clarify to him it's called a "Steel" shootoff....not a "steal" shootoff....little misunderstanding there.....

Seems to me it's expanded. Now it would appear anyone who's squadded with Phil gets the nix as well...i.e. squad 10. Look on the bright side, you'll be able to really blow thru the matches now that no one will want to squad with you, and you can shoot by yourself. Way cool. :D

I had a similar photographer shoot our Toys for Tots match this year. It seemed to go over very well. I am going to see if we can have them back for the South Carolina Sectional. The prices are the same as those at the Fla Open. the guy we had do our T4T match had never done anything like that before. He didn't think of bringing a remote camera (for head on shots) - he said he wanted to kick himself afterward. Hopefully he will be at S.C. and he'll bring his remote camera.