Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bluing Over Hard Chrome

Interceptor

No-can-do.

What Bill Wilson used to do a long time ago was mask the top of the slide before chrome, and then blue it alone. Something to do with preventing glare or something. But chrome won't take blue.

Most chromers WILL strip your chrome, and most of them also offer bluing. You can do a strip and blue. Of cours, you're back down to the soft metal so your are giving up something there.

Another thing to consider is that even after stripping the blue job may not look perfect. The hard chrome can leave a residual affect on the metal. I've blasted the chrome off the outside and left it on the inside and then polymer coated. Turns out nice and you still have the hard chrome on the working parts.

/ccedgeclose.jpg

My 5" STI Edge has powder coating over hard chrome that looks pretty cool. Bob Coogan was also telling me about a new polymer powder coating that he's offering but I don't recall the name of it. http://www.apwcogan.com

I'd be willing to bet that Benny's Bake on finish would be as durable and a much less expensive alternative.