Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tgif!!! Again!

Sam

Friday afternoon.....major snow storm headed my way! I got the plow mounted on my Chevy a few minutes ago. I'm baking a loaf of cinnamon bread to enjoy with the cup of chai I'll be having later. Firewood is stacked and ready to go. Maybe the lights will go out and we can fire up the candles and the kerosene lamp.

Let 'er happ'n Cap'n!

Weather man says we may get a foot of snow with 50mph winds! I'll put on my North Face gear, SPEC-OPS backpack, Danner Ft. Lewis boots, and and go for a walk in it. I love spring storms. I'll find the brass in a week or so when it melts. :P

Thanks guys! 3/4, the bread just came out of the oven and it's sooooo tasty and warm. The chai has just a dab of milk and a few drops of honey. (I'm normally a black coffee man, but the chai is so right tonight) I wish we had smell-a-vision so I could post it here for you to enjoy as well. Now, if it will only start to snow!

Siggy, if there is any good carnage out of this storm, I'll be sure to send you a PM. I feel sorta bad, I saw on TV that this storm has wreaked some havoc farther west. It's like that scene in "Patton" where George C. is surveying the smoky battlefield from the turret of his tank and says, "God help me, I do love it so..." B)

I'll bet Ron Ankeny is warming up his sled! ;)

cup of chai

[Eric Cartman Voice] hehe, Hippy! Do you have a bumper sticker that says, "Tree Hugging Dirt Worshipper?" (I saw one a couple hours ago.)

I'm with you on the cinnamon bread, though.

We (CA) just had a storm with 68 mph winds, 4" of rain, 2-3' of snow, 35 foot swells. Today was a nice, partly cloudy day with 30' waves at Mavericks where they had a big wave surfing contest.

The storm that TRIED to arrive here dipped--thanks to a plunging jet stream--down to California and missed us just about completely. Weather here damp and overcast and not too cold, not too hot. Totally dismal and boring, as usual. But the coffee's good. B)

I could agree with you on the bread but wait I do have some hot Ban. Nut Bread fresh out of the oven. Some nice hot columbian coffee with cream and sugar and a nice little pan of brownies with nuts. Ahhhhh keep yer snow. Give me some warm weather so I can go ridin. My 2 wheeles is callin me name. Vroommmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Happy Shooting

:D :D :D :D

Paul Franklin

Erik, wait a minute..... wouldn't "tree hugging dirt worshiper" would be a guy who rides both trials and moto-x? And "Earth First" is a bunch of my oil field buddies who want to drill the ANWR now, and the other planets later, right? ...... Dang, I better be more careful which charitites I send money to! :o

Whew, thanks for bailing me out there Liota! I've got an image to protect. John can detect and distroy pretty much anything sissified from about 1200 yards. :lol:

I thought Chai originated somewhere exotic like Tibet or Kathmandu? Some great Russian Czar probably went there, swapped for the tea, and brought it home to the fatherland. "What are we going to call it, Ivan ?" "Hell, I dunno", shrugs fur covered shoulders...."guess we'll call it chai too, Sergy." History, ain't it great!

So, am I permitted to drink french-press coffee and maintain my manly image? Or do I have to chop the beans with a bowie-knife, cowboy style?

Send some of that cinnamon bread this way. It's gettin' uggy outside.

Chai is definitely Russian for 'tea' but it has managed to bleed over into other foreign languages as well... Now we've picked up on it over here, too.

Russian tea (from various parts of the country) used to come in little

paper boxes like this...

chai.jpg

Whew, thanks for bailing me out there Liota! I've got an image to protect. John can detect and distroy pretty much anything sissified from about 1200 yards. :lol:

Sam,

Glad to be of service. It's going to cost you though. Post the recipe for the bread. It sounds good.

Liota

So, am I permitted to drink french-press coffee and maintain my manly image? Or do I have to chop the beans with a bowie-knife, cowboy style?

Chop beans? What the heck you wanna do that for? Just open the can and start shovelling. The knife is for eating the beans. Sharpen that sucker up to a razor's edge and start shovelling in those beans. Real men don't use spoons. :D

As for French press...do we need to send you to the "Are you a Metrosexual Test" again? Eric....tsk tsk tsk. ;)B)

Sorry be be the party pooper, but Friday's mean nothing to me. I hear people all the time saying "TGIF" but when you work retail Friday is just another day. Just finished the schedule for March, and I will only have one sunday off to shoot. The moral of the story is that if you want to be a good shooter, DON"T work in retail. :angry::(

Chai is definitely Russian for 'tea' but it has managed to bleed over into other foreign languages as well...  Now we've picked up on it over here, too.

Russian tea (from various parts of the country) used to come in little

paper boxes like this...

chai.jpg

WOW! I haven't seen that stuff for ages!

As much as I can recall middle school history (it's been some while since), I think that chai was first brought to Russia somewhere around 16th century. There was someone by the name Afanasyev who claimed to have traveled around the world, and he brought a lot of new things from China and India - chai would likely be one of those wanders. He also told stories about huge cows with two tails - one in usual place and another growing on the head, some very-very tall horses with long-long necks, and even two-headed people.

Russian recipie to warm up after some good snow shoveling is more likely to include a stronger drink and PELMENI. And pelmeni is... pelmeni is... sorry, can't do that... it's like trying to sing a song over the internet in the plain text mode.

Well enjoy the little snow, while you can... I had my turn back in 60-th - 12 years in Syberia - I've had ENOUGH, I think... <_<

He also told stories about huge cows with two tails - one in usual place and another growing on the head, some very-very tall horses with long-long necks, and even two-headed people.
dv8, did Afanasyev also introduce Russians to Vodka? :lol:

Erik, I'd have sent you some but I just came back from the range and the loaf is pretty much....well, toast.

Liota, here is the recipe:

(It's a little long, I had to include some extra instructions just for the guys)

2 teaspoons of active dry yeast

3 cups of stone ground whole wheat flour (complex carbs dudes, to stay with you when that wimpy sports drink has played out)\

1 tablespoon of cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg

2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoon of salt

3 tablespoons of olive oil

1 cup of milk

1/2 cup of raisins

1/2 cup of chopped nuts

Warm the milk a little in the microwave, mix in the yeast and brown sugar to get the action started. (Don't fry the milk OK? If you get it too hot, it will kill the yeast and the bread won't rise. I promise, you DO get to kill the yeast, OK? .... only later.) Knead in the 3 cups of flour and all the other ingredients. Do this for at least ten minutes. It's really good for strengthening your grip.

Let it rise while you go detail strip and clean your .45. (I hope you know how to detail strip a .45. If you don't, the bread is going to climb clear out of the pan and onto the friggin floor by the time somebody has to put it back together for you. )

Knead it again for a solid 10 minutes or until your hands start to ache and you have to quit because you're a miserable wimp. (You did wash the Shooters Choice off your hands didn't you?)

Slap it into a loaf pan, cover it with an old sweatshirt, and let it rise in a warm place while you load about 400 rounds.

The shooter may now pre-heat the oven to 375 deg.

When you get back from the 400 rounds, you may load the oven and make ready. (NO! Not with the 400 rounds!)

Shout "We're goin' hot!" to warn any bystanders.

Open the oven and place the bread gently inside. ( Don't hurl it in there like a friggin flash-bang you moron! You will rupture the fragile lattice work of gas bubbles the yeast has been building while you were looking for your mainspring plug behind the entertainment center. Now, we are finished using the unsuspecting, simple-minded, yeast and it will die a slow painful death in the firey hell of the oven. ) hehehe

set the timer for 40 minutes

at the beep, ask "are you finished?" (you better hope you don't get an answer)

unload the oven, and show clear.

He also told stories about huge cows with two tails - one in usual place and another growing on the head, some very-very tall horses with long-long necks, and even two-headed people.
dv8, did Afanasyev also introduce Russians to Vodka? :lol:

Well, it does sound like he might have, but not really - Russians have known Vodka since Mesozoic epoch.

Great recipie! A little too complex though, ... can I just shoot the oven?

There is no way Brian is going to start a recipies forum. There was nearly a bloody rebellion when he started a computers thread.

And just incase he did, I would not tolerate any French pastry and absolutely NO QUICHE! :angry: