Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you feel a PF difference of 5?

JAFO

...I settle on a load when I have tested all the players in the correct ball park and made my decision based on field testing. So in the case of the P226 this would include 115gr, 125gr and 147gr bullets with TiteGroup, N320, WST, Solo 1000 and any other powder in close speed range just listed.

Good powder recommendations. TiteGroup is cheap, buy one pound and give it a try.

My major 9 USPSA load runs ~172 PF.

My minor 9 Steel load is ~162 PF. Going much softer makes my Open gun choke.

I feel the difference on the first shot, then, no difference. mellow.gif

Jim

With titegroup,  I could tell a difference in performance between a load that ranged from 132-136 vs one that ranged from 140-144.  But that was an overall performance thing for that gun.  I sure couldn't tell you which was which if you loaded two different guns randomly with the load A or load B.  Other powders barely felt different with a 10 PF gap.  Thinking about it, I'd have to say the heavier the bullet, and the lighter the gun, the more noticeable the difference in feel will be for a small PF spread. 

I have never try to see if I could tell a 5 PF difference between 2 shoots I don't think I could unless the gun stop working with the lighter load.

I'm not sure with the HS-6 but going close to the PF depends on the type of competition you do.....if you only shoot locally then sure going close is not really a big risk IF you chrono often to see if your powder is temp sensitive.....if you shoot big match then you surely want a cushion factor, personally I loaded about 10 to 15 above PF required never had problems at the chrono. :)