Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to start

cali shot doc

I shoot IPSC competitively and for the last 6 months have really wanted to get into Trap/skeet shooting. Whats the best way to start and and to learn. Any recommendations on what kind of shotgun? Being a College Student and shooting IPSC there isn't a lot of funds for a shotgun so it will have to be lower end or used but any suggestions is wanted.

I live in Northern California

Edited by cali shot doc

• 4 weeks later...

Buy a Remington 1100 in 12 gauge or 20 gauge with a 28 inch barrel - used preferably. Sometimes you can find a Beretta 390 or 391 used. Walmart used to sell a Beretta 3901 for a good price. Buy promotional load ammo at big stores such as Dicks, Academy Sports, WalMart, etc. when hunting season sales are on. Get 8 or 7.5 shot sizes. Screw in a IC choke and just go shoot!

In skeet - make your self miss in front of the bird (most new shooters shoot behind the clay pigeon).

Have fun and do not covet the expensive shotguns!

+1 on a used 1100. Get 12ga not 20ga otherwise you'll end up buying a 12ga down the road. Used 1100s here in AZ are around $450. Make sure you find one with removable chokes. Modified isn't optimal and getting it reamed or threaded to IC is just more expense. Semi-Auto will be a lot easier recoil than an over-under. You don't want a pump for trap/skeet/clays.

Jeff

Walmart used to sell a Beretta 3901 for a good price.

And still does at many locations. They can be special ordered from them as well.

Fantastic gas gun for the money no question. A Mossberg 930 Field (12ga - 28" barrels)

is another fine choice and can be used for 3-gun competition pretty easily.

The "best way to start" your clay shooting should be finding and paying a good instructor.

This is golf with a gun. A swing coach is huge here.

Jim

a pump will be fine for trap as long as you aren't shooting doubles.

For skeet, I shoot an 1100 with a special skeet barrel. If you don't have replacement barrels chokes are the next best thing. My dad and I also shoot a Browning Citori when the mood strikes.

If at all possible, try to find a club that when you sign up you get some lessons. I know how to handle a shotgun pretty well, but I'm about to join a winter league in a couple weeks for trap and skeet and am really looking forward to seeing how i progress when i can shoot on a regular basis.

Be careful envying other guns.....trap/skeet guns can get real expensive real quick!

Have fun!

The advice above is the same I would suggest. Just change chokes and shoot the same gun at everything. If you hang around a gun club enough you will have a chance to try many different guns. If you ever jump into competition in one disipline, you will want what the winners shoot. And that gun may cost more, but it will be a small amount compared to the cost of traveling around and competing.

An 1100 is a good way to go for skeet, preferably with choke tubes. A 28 or 30" barrel would be ok. I've seen over and unders with 32" on the skeet field. You can substitute it for Trap also. You'll need skeet or IC for skeet and a modified will usually work on the 16 to 20 yard line for Trap. Tighten the choke constriction the further back you go from the trap house. Most all experienced shooters are more then willing to help a novice. Just ask. Gabe

A great way to start is if you have a club that has "beginner" classes or "new member" days...so to speak.

Best to try skeet and trap first, see what you like, shoot as many guns and rounds as you can before you buy.

But, I agree with many of the suggestions for a Remington 1100.

Have fun.

If you don't have a friend to shoot with you may not stick with it. Put up a note on the club web site that you shoot ipsc at , and see if someone pops up that is already a trap or skeet shooter. broaden to five stand and sporting clays.

Sporting clays and five stand is much more -Free style - than Skeet

Free style as in you wont see too many skeet shooters that can show you a pull-away technique , pass through , or intercept

If you don't know what Five stand is a internet search will work. If you like USPSA , I think you would like Five stand, it can be set up under lights and on a skeet range so space in not such a limit like sporting Clays with ether the target presentation is limitless.

it even has five different target types with a Minny, Middy, Standard, Rabbit and a Batu

Edited by AlamoShooter

• 2 weeks later...

I would look for a used 1100 28/30 inch with chokes. Make sure it has a good recoil pad on it(can be added if it just has the plastic butt plate. If enough is left over, a good adj comb is nice as it works like an adj rear sight and allows you to set the gun up to shoot right for you. For skeet, I liked a 60/40 pattern, for trap I liked it 80/20 or 90/10 since the target is always climbing in trap the high shooting gun has the verticle lead built in.

Well somebody came close but still not quite.

If you really want to progress quickly the first thing I would do is get to a gunfitter!

If you are going to shoot five stand or SC, you will prolly use the move,mount and shoot method. If your gun does not get to the same place every time you mount it you will be chasing your tail. It's not quite as important when you pre-mount the gun like most do for trap and skeet.

Another problem lies in trying to use the same gun for all, it can be done but not very well. A 70/30 trap gun is not going to be the optimum choice for SC anynore than a 50/50 SC gun is for trap.

If I only had one gun it would be a O/U shooting 50/50-60/40 choked skeet/ IC most of the time and changing to a mod or Imp mod for really long birds.

Find an instructor if you can, will save you from developing bad habits you will have to break later.

FWIW

Mildot

For someone on a tight budget just starting out a true fitting is probibally out of the budget. While not perfect, an adj comb alone can get you pretty close. It is easier to shoot some with the comb and get a style before going to the fitting. When I shot skeet a bunch, my gun was definately set up with the adj comb, butt pad and all that as I was after that extra bird a 500 round tournament or 2 and wanted to remove as many variables as possible and have the exact same mount every time. For someone new, the comb, and a pattern board will get you close enough to serve the purpose especially shooting the 12 ga in skeet with a 28-30 inch pattern. My 410 was patterning at 14 inches so very little room for error.

With the comb, shims are a good way to switch POI from skeet to trap. Loosen comb, and go with a higher shim for trap and a lower one for skeet. You can then set up the shims where you have the same sight picture for each game and not have to worry about the verticle lead in trap.

An instructor is a good idea but check references first if your paying for instruction. There are some out there, where they teach everyone to shoot the exact same way with the exact same hold points or exactly like they do. The ones you want are the instructors that will help decide what works best for you. What works for one person will not work for everyone. NSSA instructor also does not mean they are a quality instructor. To obtain that ranking requires very little other than paying to take a course. There are plenty of "non certified" instructors who are very good, and "certified" ones who are just awful.

If instruction costs are out of the question, usually ask around at the local club and there is usually someone who can help get you started right for free.

Not trying to be argumentative but I would invest in an adjustable buttstock before the comb.

I can always add or remove material from the comb of the stock. I have seen several "comb" pads that have spacers that can be slid in to raise the comb, Moleskin is another "cheap" alternative.

If I can't get the POI low enuff sanding is cheap if you don't count elbow grease, go to far? Slap on a layer of moleskin.

Any change you make in the comb will be reflected in the butt, period.

If you jack the comb way up the butt will sit way low in the shoulder pocket and reduce the area of recoil and promote the butt sliding down as the shot goes off.

Lower it to much and the toe of the butt will be trying to crack your collar bone every shot, I 'll bet you will get flinchy damn quick.

If you follow the old saying "bring the gun to your face, not your face to the gun" ,check point of impact, add or subtract comb. Remount and check for where the butt sits then adjust the butt, you will hit where your pointing and not wear your shoulder out.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock. You DO NOT aim a shotgun, you POINT it. If it doesn't fit your screwed!

By the way I broke my first 100 straight in trap over 30 yrs ago with a 30" full choke field grade 870, I did it but it sure wasn't the optimum set up. Only my youth and reflexes got me there, I wish that I had had the opportunity to work with someone that could have taught me the mechanics and proper equipment back then.

Now that I have had the chance to have been coached by some of the best the eyes and speed are gone, Makes me wonder why I decided to get into USPSA at 48 :blink:

Good luck

Mildot

Edited by mildot1

• 6 months later...

I shoot IPSC competitively and for the last 6 months have really wanted to get into Trap/skeet shooting. Whats the best way to start and and to learn. Any recommendations on what kind of shotgun? Being a College Student and shooting IPSC there isn't a lot of funds for a shotgun so it will have to be lower end or used but any suggestions is wanted.

I live in Northern California

Hi, Iam exactly opposite of you. My expertise is in shotgun and im trying to transition to competitive handgun. My suggestion would be find a local club and see if you can borrow a club gun, most of them will have them. If they dont Im sure there is a member not too far away that will let you shoot his gun. I dunno how much you are wanting to spend but most people shoot over and under's in the trap/skeet world and you will see more autos in sporting clays. But you could defiantly be competitive with an auto. I had a beretta 391 that I won and it was a great gun. A used browning 425 or beretta onyx would be great starter guns..

I too am a college student, so i understand too well the lack of extra cash.

take care!

• 3 weeks later...

All good advice. +10 on the Remington 1100 in 12ga. Great gun and the gas action softens things a bit. I recently picked up a 20yo Skeet Model here in Atlanta for $300, so deals are around. However, don't rule out a H&R single shot since no Club is going to allow you to load more than one shell at a time anyway. Avoid the new $300 Turkish guns flooding the market like the plague.

Start with Trap and work toward Skeet. Buy the low power bulk shells from WalMart and have fun. You have to shoot a BUNCH to make reloading shot shells feasible, and only the $7.50+/box stuff is reloadable. Most people who reload for clays are only doing it to get special shot or loads, not for the savings. Generally, 3/4 and 7/8oz loads are preferred. Most clubs only allow #7 and smaller shot.

Enjoy.

Edited by rfwobbly