Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Trojan .40 Vs. Glock 35

tobin

Hello All

I am new to this board but have been watching for a while. I am looking for advice on the STI Trojan .40 as I have a chance to buy a new one at a good price. I will use it for IPSC and IDPA. I already have a Glock 34 and like it very much so I bought a Glock 35 to move up to major. I just shot my first match with the 35 and found it a little hard to hang onto, with 180 gr. factory loads.

I have also shot my buddy's .40 Para LTD and did not notice the recoil so much. Do I need a heavier 1911 style pistol to deal with the recoil of the .40? I have no problems with the Glock 34 in this regard.

Any other comments about the Trojan would be appreciated.

If you haven't tried it already, you'll find that putting a steel guide rod and especially a brass magwell to your G35 will soften the recoil a whole bunch.

Also, switching from factory ammo to 180gr JHP's with Titegroup powder will be very noticeable. V-V N320 is also very soft. Those 2 powders are probably used by 90% of 40cal shooters today & they shoot very flat.

The Trojan is a very nice gun but will leave you in Lim-10 only. Glocks can be shot in Limited, Limited-10, and Production (minor loads and no added weight). Just a thought.

What Caspian28r said.

I don't know how much you'll pay for the Trojan, but if the cost is anywhere near the cost of a used STI Edge or similar double stack STI/SV, I'd go with the double stack because:

* You can shoot the double stack in L-10 or Limited.

* The big mag well is also easier to reload.

* More aftermarket parts options.

* Easlier to resell if you wish at a later date.

The only thing that would make me hesitate from buying a Trojan (assuming I had the $$$) is that it's in .40. That could (repeat could) be an issue with respect to getting magazines that run with the gun. I think the 1911 design works much better in .45ACP and .38 Super, etc.

On the other hand, you can get them to shoot very "soft" in .40 ... so you can go faster.

Given that, the STI Trojan is pretty much the best single stack 1911 for the money on the market right now.

I already have a Glock 34 and like it very much so I bought a Glock 35 to move up to major. I just shot my first match with the 35 and found it a little hard to hang onto, with 180 gr. factory loads.

I have also shot my buddy's .40 Para LTD and did not notice the recoil so much. Do I need a heavier 1911 style pistol to deal with the recoil of the .40?

Any other comments about the Trojan would be appreciated.

I have a Trojan in .40 as well as a Para 1640 LTD. I do not notice the recoil at all shooting 180-gr factory loads in those guns. In fact, they seem milder than when I shoot factory 9mm ammo out of my CZ-85 (a smaller gun).

I know you would find perceived recoil in a Trojan to be less than a Glock because the Glock is top heavy due to the plastic frame. having too much weight on top means the rotational torgue on your wrist is higher, which you will perceive as increased recoil.

Comments on a Trojan? The best dollar value arounf for a 1911, light years ahead of the production junkers (like my Para) and it wouldn't need all the internals replaced if you want to take it shooting. I own two Trojans and I think they are first rate, they are also made by a company who still gives service to it's customers.

I don't know how much you'll pay for the Trojan....I'd go with the double stack because:

* You can shoot the double stack in L-10 or Limited.

The Trojans are running $920 on the internet right now.

As for limited 10? My .40 Trojan can feed 10 rounds out of a ten-round .45 magazine (CMC Power mag), so there are .40SW ten round mags that will work in the gun. The mags hold 11 rounds in .40, but you don't have to load them past ten.

The light weight Glock can be a handful when shooting Major.

That just means you have to work on your technique more...it's a great opportunity to learn about your shooting.

I agree with some of the other ideas...save your money to buy a Dillon press...then reload with 180's and TiteGroup.

Thank you all for the advice, I appreciate it.

As for the Dillon 550, already have one.

My price on the STI Trojan is $850 so I may get it anyway, but I will try the recommendations for the G35 also. It is box stock right now.

I am aware there are some mag issues about the single stack .40 on the 1911 frame. When the 10 round CMC Power mags are used in the .40, do the lips need to be bent much?

Man, $750 for a Trojan is a smokin' deal, even if it's gently used. You'd easily pay that much if not more for a similar Kimber and get a lot less gun in the process.

And Dave Skinner and STI are very good to USPSA/IPSC and IPSC.

Do I need a heavier 1911 style pistol to deal with the recoil of the .40?

No.

Surf around the site a bit. Do search for "timing drills." If you can't find it here, go to: www.mattburkett.com and look under his tips for timing drills.

The muzzle flip "problem" is 95% technique and about 20% equipment.

[/Yogi Berra Mode]