Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot Calling Drill

EricW

Shamelessly stolen from Travis Tomasie on Max Michel, Jr's forum:

*3 targets a yard apart at 30 yards.

*3 new targets that haven't been shot, with you at the line.

*Draw and engage the 30yd targets with 2 rounds each.

*Reholster and without going downrange to check your hits, call your shots by placing pasters on the new targets, where you believe the holes to be on the downrange targets.

*Go downrange and compare the targets you shot with the targets you pasted your calls on.

*Your goal should be to get the paster within 3" of the actual hole.

*You can never spend too much time on this drill.

*Remember, it's the point at which the dot just starts to lift, that we need to see to be able to call our shots with precision.

This was just too good not to steal. When's the last time you shot anything and went back and called your sight pictures?

I was working out a "calling drill" but I have not had a chance to try it yet. It's not as advanced as the one above and would work best with a buddy to spot for you.

Tape off the target into quadrants - one strip right down the middle and another strip right across the middle. After each shot, call: upper left, lower left, upper right, or lower right. Have your spotter verify for you so you get fast feedback (I suffer from IPSC impatience). Maybe add "A zone" as a shot call later.

This might be a little remedial for a lot of the shooters here but might not be as frustrating for some of us beginners. If you want, have the spotter not tell you after each shot and just keep score for you. At the end guess how many you "called" correctly.

Then if you pass this, try the Tomasie 3" Drill.

Tape off the target into quadrants - one strip right down the middle and another strip right across the middle. After each shot, call: upper left, lower left, upper right, or lower right.

I forget, was this in the book or did Brian mention it here in the forums? :huh:

Remember, it's the point at which the dot just starts to lift, that we need to see to be able to call our shots with precision.

That's good stuff.

I remember Lones Wigger commenting that he could recall the sight picture of every shot of an entire smallbore match, in perfect detail.

be

• 1 month later...