Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Primer Magazine

How many large rifle primers will your 550 Primer Magazine hold? I can't get 100 in a pickup tube but since I'm loading box bullets it would be nice if I could get 100 in the magazine. I don't want to overfill it though.

I couldn't find a procedure for emptying the primer magazine when you are done with a reloading session. Anyone have a system that works well?

I couldn't find a procedure for emptying the primer magazine when you are done with a reloading session. Anyone have a system that works well?

For me it's simple. I load until the primers are gone. Don't load more than you are going to need. Other than that you either have to stroke them all out or tear things apart.

I'm not sure if it presents any problems, but I always leave primers remaining in the magazine tube.

The biggest problem I see with leaving primers in the tube? When you start a new loading session you should verify your powder charge as it seems most 550's seem to throw the first few charges on the high side after sitting for any length of time. I always start a session by throwing a string or two of ten charges each to verify my charge is still on target.

You can't do the above with primers in the tube as they will just keep feeding.

I'm not sure if it presents any problems, but I always leave primers remaining in the magazine tube.

The biggest problem I see with leaving primers in the tube? When you start a new loading session you should verify your powder charge as it seems most 550's seem to throw the first few charges on the high side after sitting for any length of time. I always start a session by throwing a string or two of ten charges each to verify my charge is still on target.

You can't do the above with primers in the tube as they will just keep feeding.

I get around the primers feeding while testing/changing my powder charge by not pushing the handle past the resting position each cycle. You do need to make sure the powder bar fully returns. I just give a tug to the bottom of the fail-safe rod manually.

I don't know. Seems the throws would be inconsistent. It's much easier to just load until you are out of primers.

Sarge, I do the same as you, but if there are primers left in the tube, I just prime them up anyway, weighing the charges, then set them to the side. When I get to a point where I want to stop, I feed these back in manually, loading them as usual. That way, no powder has a chance to escape through the flash hole on the way to the scale.

FYI, large RIFLE primers are about .008-.010" taller than large PISTOL primers. The magazine tube will hold 100 large rifle primers. Older pickup tubes, which have the retaining clip through the aluminum tube, will hold 100 large pistol or about 97 large rifle primers. Several years ago, the pickup tube was redesigned. The current design has a transparent plastic end that the retaining clip goes through. These tubes should hold 100 large rifle primers.

Don't worry about leaving primers in the tube. As long as you don't push the handle forward to seat the primer, the same primer justs shuttles back and forth. Non-issue.

FYI, large RIFLE primers are about .008-.010" taller than large PISTOL primers. The magazine tube will hold 100 large rifle primers. Older pickup tubes, which have the retaining clip through the aluminum tube, will hold 100 large pistol or about 97 large rifle primers. Several years ago, the pickup tube was redesigned. The current design has a transparent plastic end that the retaining clip goes through. These tubes should hold 100 large rifle primers.

Don't worry about leaving primers in the tube. As long as you don't push the handle forward to seat the primer, the same primer justs shuttles back and forth. Non-issue.

Thanks for the replies. I have the plastic tipped ones, but they only seem to hold 97 Federal 210s. Maybe if I pull the plastic tip off a little I can get the last 3.

What about when you want to do a caliber change and switch from large to small primers? I realize the best way would be to just use them up but if I don't have brass left.......

I guess I'll worry about it when and if it happens.

Thanks for the replies. I have the plastic tipped ones, but they only seem to hold 97 Federal 210s. Maybe if I pull the plastic tip off a little I can get the last 3.

What about when you want to do a caliber change and switch from large to small primers? I realize the best way would be to just use them up but if I don't have brass left.......

You could save a primer box and put them back in it.

be