Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This has got to make you sick

BigGabe

Thought I would post a photo. It breaks my heart. This is a 586 Smith that the Louisville Ky police dept cut up several years back when they had one of their gun buy backs. Sometimes government never ceases to amaze me. They gave this person $50 for the gun. I picked it up trading a little labor out for it. Even though it apparently won't function any more the internal parts and grips still make it worth something. Just had to vent. Gabe

CutSW.jpg

Assuming all they did was cut the barrel off with a torch, the gun is still able to fire ammunition. Your average criminal could probably shoot this as accurately as they could if there was a barrel.

Ineffective gun-control at it's best.

Actually I was told they used a press cutter. The frame is warped, the cylinder will not lock up into the frame and the hand wont turn the cylinder. Even with the cylinder open it still won't turn. Internal parts are still good though.

Our police department asks our maintenance department to destroy guns periodically. Typically the guns were involved in some type of illegal activity but still.......It is painful to watch a chop saw or torch taken to an AR or some other fine gun.

Has to be a better way!:angry2:

Unfortunately it all boils down to $$$$ and liability. My dept destroys all of the guns that are seized in criminal activity instead of selling them back to proper gun owners. Why?? It's cheaper to destroy them than it is to inspect and repair them. If they sold a seized gun and it malfunctioned due to poor maintenance or improper modification, the city would get sued. Whether it's the city's fault or not, we always get sued. Plus, it's bad PR for the city to cry about too many guns on the street and then put them right back out there while making a profit. Less $$ and less headaches for them. Still sucks tho, as does Chi-town gvt.

I hear where you all are coming from. But these weren't seized guns. They were bought off private individuals in a city buy back program. $50 for handguns and $25 for long guns. Allot of junk was brought in, but occasionally some misguided soul would bring in something like you see in the picture. I'm not sure if it still holds true but in times past all confiscated guns by our state police would be auctioned off once a year to ffl dealers only. I'm sure money generated by those sales would be put to good use. Gabe