Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Travis Tomasie's Ltd Gun

EricW

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonjour Julian, ca vas?

I was experimenting a few years back, initially I ground the memory groves off my EB beavertail and found the gun felt better and better as I removed material from the web area, until I cut through it!

I thought then that going through below the hammer would be an improvement too, it would lower the gun in your hand, but I expected to get bitten every shot, obviously Travis doesn't. I ended up welding up the hole and filing it as thin as I dare.

Hope all's well with you, I can't make the Euro's but there is a Kiwi team going over, so look after them!

regards

P.D.

Why EricW loves Travis' gun so much:

Easy. Because it is a well worn, but well cared for tool. Much like a block plane handed down from grandfather, to father, to son. It shows that is has been used as a tool of the craft and bears the scars of that use proudly. Yet it is well cared for. It still works and isn't covered in rust.

It is functional and practical. It isn't a pretty toy. It is a tool.

That even close? ;)

Ahhh....so near....yet so wrong. :P

Time to up the ante. First person who can tell me why TT's gun is so cool gets a tub of Slide Glide from Brian on me. (Gotta order some #3 for the summer season anyway. ;) )

Let's just hope none o' youse pretty gun nancy boys (and girls) need a hint.

Not sure why Eric likes TT's blaster so well, but for me it's really cool because it's simple. Travis explains that he has tried all the ' magic gadgets' and has returned to a basic design. Short dust cover. SS guide rod. No buff. He's basically shooting a tuned 1911 and kicking major arse with it.

This gun clearly displays the adage that it's not the gun it's the shooter...

Personally reading about and seeing TT's blaster has inspired me to stop any modification plans and start getting busy with the training!!!

You like it for several reasons, the simple straightforward look, attractively worn from heavy use in all the right places; no fancy checkering just functional skateboard tape...all this set off, (and this is what you really like most) by those eye-catching two-tone grip panels. I'll take a tub of SG Lite please...and thank you. :lol:

My guess is that you like it because it breaths functionality

Everything on the gun has a purpose and stuff that has no purpose isn't on the gun. It was made for shooting, not for showing off it's looks.

I like it. It looks just about as crappy as my worn out revolver. And that's a positive thing ;)