Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 yd target focus

oak hill

The 10 - 12 yard range is where I continually struggle between getting a flash sight picture and picking up more of the front sight. All to often I drop more points in on targets at this range than those further out.

What have you found to help in practice?

At that range things need to feel a little slow. I'm wanting to see my front sight return to the notch and pause, then I'll let the next shot go. Not necessarily lined up, but if I see all of the front (even if one side isn't showing any light) then I'm going to get an A most of the time. The big thing I always watch out for is trying to catch the sight coming down and letting the shot go as it passes through the notch; I need to wait for it to bounce and settle once before I can let it go. I guess in summary I could physically shoot a little faster than I am, thus it feels a bit slow. At five yards I'm pulling the trigger as fast as I humanly can, at 15+ I'm waiting for an "honest" sight picture with modified trigger pull as the distance goes out. Ten yards is close enough that a yanked trigger will miss, but not so far that a "quick" shot isn't called for.

H.

The 10 - 12 yard range is where I continually struggle between getting a flash sight picture and picking up more of the front sight. All to often I drop more points in on targets at this range than those further out.

If you just wait until you see the front sight clearly in focus before you shoot, you will probably get an A.

be

At five yards I'm pulling the trigger as fast as I humanly can, at 15+ I'm waiting for an "honest" sight picture with modified trigger pull as the distance goes out. Ten yards is close enough that a yanked trigger will miss, but not so far that a "quick" shot isn't called for.

I actually have the same problem as the OP. Houngan has the answer I was looking for. I pull the trigger too fast until about the 15 yard mark where I finally slow down.

Thanks for the simple but valuable insight.

Edited by Memphis

Seeing the sights...at any distance...gives me the best feedback, and costs me no real time.

I hope I've learned this lesson. I've dropped too many points and a MIKE here and there on targets too close to "need a good sight picture". I don't think you need to see the same thing at 5 yards as you do at 15... but you need to see enough!

I am not sure if it fits just right in this thread, but it came to mind and I like the idea of it...

I recall (some video) where Jerry M. said that he didn't think of targets are near or far...just big or small. That can work well in the pistol game, since we don't often have to worry about bullet drop and wind on our (mostly) static targets.

I am not sure if it fits just right in this thread, but it came to mind and I like the idea of it...

I recall (some video) where Jerry M. said that he didn't think of targets are near or far...just big or small. That can work well in the pistol game, since we don't often have to worry about bullet drop and wind on our (mostly) static targets.

Perfect, I remember way back at FIPT there was a seminar Rob did and a question came up about a target at 25 yards with no shoots on each side of the A-zone that was in the match. Apparently the shooter hit the white part quite a few times. Rob just said that you have to respect that target because i reality it's 50 yards away by the scoring area avaiable.

If you just wait until you see the front sight clearly in focus before you shoot, you will probably get an A.

be

As long as you stay with the shot. ;)