Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractor Failing Or Bad Magspring?

Jack Suber

Need some input, please. My gun has started having intermittent malfunctions (every 35 - 50 rounds or so). What is happening is a round is getting to the chamber ahead of the extractor. In other words, the case rim is not getting under the extractor claw and the result is the slide is not going into battery. This only happens, so far, when I shoot really fast shots like in a Bill Drill. I am running an Aftec and I have about 10 - 12K rounds on it. I am already on the second set of springs for the Aftec (I changed the first set after about 5K rounds thinking they were getting worn out). The mags have all been tuned by Beven (in the Fall) and it is not happening with any particular mag (mine are all numbered). So, I was leaning toward the Aftec and the springs. What say ye?

Does Aftec sell just the springs? Perhaps I should buy a new one just to have it set-up an ready in case mine breaks? This is got me baffled because I have never had this type of malfunction.

Any feedback sould be appreciated.

Jack

Wow Jack.... are you sure the bullet is in FRONT of the extractor when it jams? Never heard of that one. What cal. are we talking about? Any chance of a bur being on the breech face? Which gun is this? I have seen some weird things happen on SV's with the interchangable breechface. The shooter had the super comp breechface installed and had some 38S mixed in with his supercomp. In this case there wasn't enough room for the 38S rim to get in there.

Dan,

My bad. The caliber is a 40 and its an Edge. Yep, the round is getting in front of the extractor and the extractor is keeping the gun from going into battery. It just stops on the rim and will not jump over the rim. I have never seen this before. No marks on the breech that I can see.... that is why I was thinking extractor?

Jack

Jack,

Your situation usually happens when the magazine is releasing the bullet too soon and the projectile has not contacted the ramp yet. Is this a short 9mm or .40 being used in full length magazine by chance? If so, one fix can be to lengthen the OAL somewhat. What caliber and OAL are the bullets in question?

Leo

Jack-Try playing with the springs in the extractor. I have used an Aftec for a year, and after initial tinkering, it's used the same set of springs for most of the year. When the extractor would not jump over the round, I took out one spring and ran it with just the other in place. Using just the front or rear spring will also change the tension on the hook. I finally settled on 2 springs. It was recommended to me that you compress the new springs for 30-60 seconds with a pair of pliars, then put them into the extractor. This worked great and has stayed the same for the last year. That set of springs has 12-15k rounds without fail. (.40 SVI) Good luck.

Hate to disagree but, if the extractor is too tight the slide will not go home. If it is too loose it will leave the empty in the chamber. In either case, the bullet is able to get, and stay, under the extractor even if the slide cannot close completely. With your bullets escaping the extractor makes me think that they are not being trapped under there in the first place. I still think that this is a poor bullet control problem caused by short projectiles or loose magazine lips releasing the bullet before the projectile is stable.

Good luck,

Leo

Guest Larry Cazes

Is the malf happening with the magazine mostly empty? If this is the case, I have had similiar misfeeds because of the round jumping out of the magazine ahead of the slide. My issue was caused by using standard length magazine springs that had taken a bit of a set with +1 Dawson basepads. There was not enough spring tension towards the last round out of the mag and the round was leaving the mag early I guess due to recoil. Changed to Grahams extended mag springs with 1 coil clipped and the problem is gone.

Thanks for the replies. The mags have been tuned by Gramms and have all of their components (springs, followers, basepads). Perhaps those springs are worn, though I doubt it. I haven't used them that much since I had Beven work on them.

Jack

might have to agree with Benny Hill, have had a couple of Aftec's that didn't have enough of a slot. had to set the extractor up in a surface grinder and move the slot foward. Check the slot width with a feeler guage between the breech face and the front of the slot. Should equal the rim thickness plus a few thousands of an inch. If less you must grind the face farther foward or replace the extractor with one that has enough clearance.

Well, it must have been some bad rounds. I took the slide down this weekend and cleaned it. I checked the extractor and breechface and saw no marks or rough areas. I had rounded the angles of the extractor hook when I installed it so there were no sharp edges. I cleaned the springs and reinstalled everything and went to the range yesterday. I shot about 400 rounds without a malfunction. I used every mag, loaded them to capacity, etc. Oh well. I guess I'll keep going and hope it doesn't happen again. Thanks for the feedback.

Jack

If you look at a bunch of different 40 cases you'll see that the extractor groove is a lot different in some of them. Had a customer using a brand of brass I can't remember but I had to change to the extractor set up for his brass. The gun would work fine with my loads but not his. Any chance you got some oddball brass mixed in? Otherwise I bet Benny is right as usual.

Ross,

It is VERY likely I had some weird brass get mixed in. Since it is my practice stuff, I don't scrutinize it that much. That has to be it since the gun has run up to that point and ever since. Actually, I think that batch of brass was some "once-fired" stuff that I got real cheap. That has to be it. I'll go back and check it out. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Jack