Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading With Moons............

DougCarden

I went to the range today and played with my Revos in the mud. First gun was my 8shot SW with 6 1/2 bbl with Pinnacle F/O sight. 15 yds Bianchi plate rack with poofer Steel Challenge loads. I finally hammered my reloads today after a lot of dryfiring/reloading over the winter. What revolutionary technique? Weak hand holding the cylinder open and loading with the gun hand. I grew up shooting Bowling Pins and thought I had the "load with weak hand - 625" load in the bag, but shooting my 8 shot gave me fits at matches under stress.

All I did is make sure that when my off hand held the cylinder open it was completely open and straight up, everytime. I didnt screw up a reload unless the moon was not perfect(cases bulged). Did the same with my 625 and major loads. Same observation, Hold the cylinder completely open everytime and the moons just fly in there, of course bullet profile helps as well too!

I also found that the Miculek grips work great for me with minor steel loads, but not for Major loads. I went back to my Hogue finger groove wood grips as I am able to lock my 3rd and 4th fingers on the grip better with that grip, which helps me manage recoil better between plates. I was missing the second plate, and couldn't figure out why. I then noticed that my hand was shifting after the first shot on the grip. I probably wouldnt have noticed this if I hadnt been learning from this board and from other shooters! The clues were there, I just had to pay attention to them. When I concentrated and clamped down hard it was no problem, but it is easier to interface with the gun with the fingergroove grips at speed, and the grips are smooth so I get back on the gun quickly like the Miculek grips.

As a side note, I have a .090 F/O sight on the 625, and a .110 F/O sight on the 8 shot. Hands down the .090 is better for me, as it allows me to call my shots quicker B) . Both were made by Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle. I highly recommend them. I had a SDM F/O on the 625 before, and it is night and day now for quick sight acquisition. Hope this helps someone who was frustrated :blink: like I have been. DougC

Doug, great post. I think I'll have Mark make me a nice FO like you have (even though I'm located overseas).

What keeps surprising me is how the "trick of the day" as Brian calls it in his book, applies to revolver speed reloads. It's like you "need" a trick of the day to make your reloads nice 'n smooth (like holding open the cylinder, or focussing on the chargeholes).

Way to go Doug! And thanks for the info. I'm a strong handed reloader like you. It's good to know there are some others out there!

I have also found that the narrower front sight gets me away from the claustophobic feeling I get with the stock front sights!

Later,

paul