Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking for 2011 - Para Ordnance 16.40 Limited?

INGOglock34

I have been wanting to look at getting a 2011 frame gun but really don't have experience with them. Someone close to me has a "Para Ordnance 16.40 Limited" for sale with 4 21 rnd mags and ICE magwell for $875. First is that a decent price? Would this be a good gun start with for 2011 gun? Does this gun have limitation that other 2011 guns would not have? How interchangeable are the part with this gun and upgrade parts?

I don't know where you are in your shooting, and I don't know a whole bunch, others will know more. The Para isn't a bad gun, as a matter of fact there is a guy with the initials of T.J. that does pretty good with one :D . The problems that I am aware of with a para is the 80 series firing pin safety makes it harder to get a great trigger, but it is possible. The S_I magazines are easier to reload with due to a more forgiving taper. The new PXT extractor is terrible from most accounts, but somebody is now making a sleeve to utilize a regular extractor. Para mags are easier to get to hold 21.

About the gun, is it reliable? Is it used or used up? If it's reliable and still in decent shape, get it. Use the extra $1k+ to buy more ammo and shoot the snot out of it! When you kill it, reward yourself with something else.

YMMV, just my $.02

I have and compete with a P14 and P16. P16 likes loads with OAL at 1.2. Mine has the PX and it has been 100%. Need to have the trigger cleaned up a bit. The S80 stuff has been removed by the previous owner so that is no big thing. Aftermarket parts for the Para are just like anything else...some need work and some don't.

FWIW

Richard

PS: My P14 was built from a frame kit before complete guns were available (a long time ago). If I were younger and just starting out I would shoot production or SS until I saved for a 2011 but that is just me.

+1 on Chirpy's response. I have a SX16-40 S80. Very reliable. I talked a friend into shooting USPSA and we found him a 16-40 as well. Only issue with his was a broken extractor. 20 dollars and 30 minutes I had him running again. The price is good for what your getting. I have been very happy without spending the $s on an S_I and using it on reloading components instead. Mine also has run flawless on 1.20 OAL. Just my .02 worth.

I don't know where you are in your shooting, and I don't know a whole bunch, others will know more. The Para isn't a bad gun, as a matter of fact there is a guy with the initials of T.J. that does pretty good with one :D . The problems that I am aware of with a para is the 80 series firing pin safety makes it harder to get a great trigger, but it is possible. The S_I magazines are easier to reload with due to a more forgiving taper. The new PXT extractor is terrible from most accounts, but somebody is now making a sleeve to utilize a regular extractor. Para mags are easier to get to hold 21.

About the gun, is it reliable? Is it used or used up? If it's reliable and still in decent shape, get it. Use the extra $1k+ to buy more ammo and shoot the snot out of it! When you kill it, reward yourself with something else.

YMMV, just my $.02

thats why I replaced my pxt with an ed brown extractor. the pxt is awful. I also convert them to series 70 because the 80 is hard to get a good trigger. All simple fixes.

P16 is a decent place to start, and depending on just how serious you are it will at least give you a good feel for limited. I have a P16 build up also and have found it very reliable. I bought mine simply to try limited and because I wanted a high cap for 3 gun, I most shoot single stack. Good setup that I don't regret purchasing.

I have been wanting to look at getting a 2011 frame gun but really don't have experience with them. Someone close to me has a "Para Ordnance 16.40 Limited" for sale with 4 21 rnd mags and ICE magwell for $875. First is that a decent price? Would this be a good gun start with for 2011 gun? Does this gun have limitation that other 2011 guns would not have? How interchangeable are the part with this gun and upgrade parts?

If it runs good that sounds like a great deal. I've tried a STI 2011 and I just like my P-16 Limited better. :cheers:

I owned a para once. Once.. :(

That being said, get yourself a nice .40 singlestack and shoot SS & L-10. When you really start to get a grasp of the game, and decide your all in, go nuts! I love single stack! Reloading 3-4 times a stage will really teach you to pay attention to reloads. It will help you break down stages When you can reload quick w a SS, it makes feeding a para or 2011 a breeze. It's a gun that is competitive in 2 divisions.

Sold POS P16 Limited for about that....I guess. The main problem was loose slide to frame fit (right from the start) brand new gun. Gunsmiths hate working on them. And that Glock guy (at all the TX gumshoes) out of Houston f**ked up the mainspring taking off the magwell. The gun was subsequently send to Para (did I mention that Glock guy f**ked it up). When he couldn't get it back together.....something about a bent frame.

Para apparently felt the need to hammer on and scratch the frame. Given that gunsmiths don't like to work on them and sending it to Para is always a mistake....you have a decision to make. The plus side is it is easy to get 21 reloadable in the mags. I wish I could say the same for S_I mags?

Good Luck!!!!

I have been shooting para's since you bought frame kits and built them. I have 2 open guns, and 3 limited guns, the guns work well and do not give me any problem. My friend just had to send his STI back for a cracked slide, that STI stepped up to the plate and are taking care of. but my P16 40 is one of the most reliable guns I have and is very accurate. You just have to load 1.20 length of ammo and you will have no problems with it. it is my go to gun when I start having a bad day to get back to basics.

I have seen all of the post about all of the things that are wrong with para's but I think they build a better gun than does Kimber and this is from years of experience, and watching lots of people shooting all kinds of hand guns under all kinds of conditions.

Reliability with Para seems to run an uncientific 50%. I have owned two and one was mostly reliable the other was utterly unreliable. Happiest day of my shooting days was when the second gun got sold. Also at the Ft Benning 3-gun challenge last year there was a shoot-off with brand new paras bieng used for all the shooters. It was the rare shoot-off contestant that was able to finish with out a malfunction.

My .02 is to wait for a good deal on something else, unless you can shoot the heck out of that one first to be sure its a good one.

I have a P16 with tons of rounds through it at major PF and it is 99.9% reliable. The OAL of my ammo is 1.144" and is shorter than most guys with P16's but it flat runs. If that particular gun has proven to be reliable, jump on it! 21+1 is a nice perk of the P16 as well, although reloading with 21 in the mag is rough and I always run 20 in my extra mags.
That being said, get yourself a nice .40 singlestack and shoot SS & L-10. When you really start to get a grasp of the game, and decide your all in, go nuts! I love single stack! Reloading 3-4 times a stage will really teach you to pay attention to reloads. It will help you break down stages When you can reload quick w a SS, it makes feeding a para or 2011 a breeze. It's a gun that is competitive in 2 divisions.

I don't necessarily agree with this statement. I started shooting in Limited, and I was more able to concentrate on the shooting aspect and not worrying about stage breakdown with so many reloads. I did however learn stage breakdown skills shooting Lim that I'm excited to apply to SS. Now I'm switching to SS because I am now up for the challenging aspect of it.

Also, my Limited P16 makes a great L-10 gun, and the wide body makes hitting reloads easier than my SS gun.

Ultimately, shoot the gun, and if you like it and it runs, get it!