Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for open shooters

Pro2AInPA

I am shooting irons, after shooting open. I guess I am in the minority. Mainly because I want to try and beat the open shooters with my limited gun.. I guess maybe I just like the challenge.

Open if fun, and addicting. But you must be able to put it down. You will see big iprovements in your iron sight shooting after shooting open. At least I am and a friend of mine did also. While his open gun was getting a new slide he started shooting limited again, and was kicking butt. Now that his open gun is fixed, he went back to shooting open again.

I go back and forth...shooting Iron seems to help my "Open" shooting. But I have no illusion of grandeur, I shoot Open because it is Fun! But yes I still shoot Limited and SS....I have a great time with all of it.

I like Open the best, but specially after I have been "having a break" (which is usually 3-4 weeks in October-November) I like to shoot iron sights. It remains me that I need to use the sights, improves my all-the-time-loosening grip and many other things. And it is fun to shoot different guns :)

Many shooters, specially ones who have been shooting long time with irons, "test" Open for short time and go back to Lim/Pro/SS. I think, even if you have decent skill level with irons, you need several years and lots of practice to become a decent Open shooter. You also need to find new techniques and you will learn alot if you have never shot Open.

Whatever you do, shoot what is most fun for you !

I am a open guy also with alot of time in the beginning stages of trying to figure out what I would like to shoot and could afford.After spending countless hours at the re-loading bench and at the range i found out that I love to shoot both iron and open.I shoot steel in the open and idpa in ESP.I also run steel in the esp division because I can,but dont shoot like Dave Sevigne so an usually out of the prize picture.This is my love and my hobie so what the heck Keep on loading and shoot them all on the weekend.Its all on what you love to do at the time,so just have fun.

2 cents: The 90 degree mount makes it almost a seamless fun transition. open to iron

+1; the 90 deg mount makes it real easy to acquire the dot for the once in a while Open shooter like me. I'm so glad I incorporated one into my new Open gun build

I have been shooting Open for three years now. I switched largely due to my deteriorating eyesight and the inability to get a sharp focus on an iron front sight and still keep the target in an acceptably fuzzy focus.

I typically shoot three matches a month on consecutive weekends. During the off week, I always practice with my iron sighted pistols. I find it is great practice for the "real world" and adds a bit of variety. I plan to continue shooting my fix sighted guns as long as I am still able to shoot my Open guns.