Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Amazon selling pedophelia "how to" books.

Loves2Shoot

Wow! It's one thing for the guy to sit down and write such trash but for Amazon to say sure! We'll marke it make it available to our consumers... Someone obviously didn't think this one through. They better have either a lot of cash in the bank or a solid stream of revenue to weather the storm that's about to hit them for I too, won't share another dime with them.

Thanks for sharing L2S; I hadn't yet seen this.

Sherry

Wow! It's one thing for the guy to sit down and write such trash but for Amazon to say sure! We'll marke it make it available to our consumers... Someone obviously didn't think this one through. They better have either a lot of cash in the bank or a solid stream of revenue to weather the storm that's about to hit them for I too, won't share another dime with them.

Thanks for sharing L2S; I hadn't yet seen this.

Sherry

Keep in mind this is self-published --- I'm pretty sure there's no review by Amazon. You could write a book and throw it up there, as an e-book, and unless it caused an uproar, it likely wouldn't get noticed....

See here for the guidelines from Amazon. As I expected, they expect publishers/writers to use good judgment. 99% will....

This is a lot like calling any corporate headquarters, complaining about the local store manager -- the size of the corporation guarantees that it will move slowly, as the complaint moves from desk to desk. Add in such fun considerations as the first amendment --- under which an awful lot of content complaints would probably be dismissed --- and I can see how this wouldn't be the easiest thing to resolve quickly.

It looks like the book's been yanked -- about 24 hours after this story hit. I'm more impressed that it was published, noticed and yanked all within ~ 10 days. Before the internet, it might have been available for years.....

Nik,

My wife brought it to my attention and I thought the same thing until I read Amazon's response:

Earlier Wednesday, Amazon stood by its decision to sell the e-book.

"Amazon believes it is censorship not to sell certain books simply because we or others believe their message is objectionable," the company said in a written statement. "Amazon does not support or promote hatred or criminal acts, however, we do support the right of every individual to make their own purchasing decisions."

She spends, correction spent, a lot of money with the company, and after reading their "official response" to this, I think someone in charge over their did review it, approved it (kindle does have a guidelines, which this SHOULD clearly violate) and allowed him to make money from the sales of it on their store.

I do not care to tolerate the "mainstreaming" of pedophilia, so this is a stand I'm willing to take until the person who allowed this is no longer a part of the company.

I understand Amazons argumnet for First Amendment Rights . . . but come on . . . there has to be a point where common sense kicks in with out having to resort to the extreme of submiting ourselves to the "Nanny State" where everything is pre approved "Safe for the Citizens" by a commity that "knows it when it sees it"

I've stood at the 1933 Bebelplatz Memorial (where one of those little bonfires took place in Berlin) . . . . powerful place . . .

I'm hopping the power of the massed voices in protest (it looks like it worked by this mornings news accounts) will prevent the "Goverment" from getting involved with what we can read and what can't.

Ohh and for the Guy who wrote this self published E-Book (I'm not advocating anything . . .but just pointing out the rules)

please remember that any shot taken closer that 500 yards will consitered unsportsman like conduct.

just my 2 cents

Love amazon, hate amazon, I find it ironic that the thing didn't ship jack until people started getting all bent out of shape about it and spreading the word. 

Sometimes, when you think you are helping, you are not helping.