Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45acp 230fmg Load

wildbill

Bill:

Try either Clays or Titegroup. Both are clean burning, meter well and are reasonably priced.

My Hodgdon manual gives the following:

TG 4.0gn 744fps (Start) 4.8gn 855fps (Max)

Clays 3.5gn 716fps (Start) 4.0gn 793fps (Max)

I shoot 4.1gn Clays over a 200gn coated RNSWC for 850fps from a 5" Kimber. I need 825fps to meet IDPA power factor (165).

I'm thinking of switching to Titegroup - it can power any bullet you want in 9mm and 45ACP cartridges, as well as the occasional 380. Only have to have one powder around the bench.

Geek

• 2 weeks later...

230 gr Montana Gold CMJ

(There is a difference in charge between jacketed, plated, and lead bullets.)

4.0 gr Hodgden Clays

1.255" OAL

0.469" crimp with Lee Factory Crimp Die

Winchester primers

Mixed brass

Averages 735 fps out of my 5" Kimber which works out to 169 PF

(On a 75 degree day, about 85% humidity, about sea level, with no special chrono procedures like tipping up the barrel before each shot.)

For IPSC Standard, I basically use the same load, ie, bullet, OAL, crimp as vincent except I need 4.1gr of Clays to make major(173PF) out of my Valtro.

While I have never chrono it, 3.7gr of Clays with the same OAL and crimp has worked out great for plinking with my 1911s and 625. This load is accurate and feels very "soft". Note: the brass gets a little dirty compare to Clay's major load.

230 gr Montana Gold CMJ

(There is a difference in charge between jacketed, plated, and lead bullets.)

4.0 gr Hodgden Clays

1.255" OAL

0.469" crimp with Lee Factory Crimp Die

Winchester primers

Mixed brass

Averages 735 fps out of my 5" Kimber which works out to 169 PF

(On a 75 degree day, about 85% humidity, about sea level, with no special chrono procedures like tipping up the barrel before each shot.)

I never relized how much of a difference there is between jacketed and plated bullets. With the same charge, my velocities with a plated bullet were about 20-40 fps faster. Time to start working up another load. <_<

• 5 months later...

IMO, Win231 is a bad idea for 230 JRN. OK for lead.

Even though the reloading manual lists a load for that combo, there can be very sharp pressure spikes resulting in blown cases. Also, lots of inconsistency with PF based on position of powder in the case and result flash/overpressure.

At the time, I was trying to make 175 major PF, and had lots of velocity fluctuations with 5.4 gn 231 + Star 230 JRN., 1.250 OAL.

It's my understanding that one of the reasons Titegroup was developed was for cowboy .45colt loads because the SASS shooters were blowing up guns with 231 loads.

I spent a lot of time talking to people at Winchester. One guy told me about the pressure issue with the jacketed 230s and suggested WSF or 540 at the time. No one else would admit to any problem and after I sent pages of various data -- powder charges, case weight, bullet weights, OAL, chrono'd velocities, etc -- I got a letter back from Winchester telling me that I was incompetent at reloading. :angry:

So.... be careful with 231.

Penny

I was just chrono'd at the WA state IDPA match.

4.0gr of Clays = 167PF

I'm gonna bump it to 4.1gr for my next loads.

(Mont.Gold 230gr FMJ, P14.45 w/ 5" Kart barrel, Winchester LP primers)

I was just chrono'd at the WA state IDPA match.

4.0gr of Clays = 167PF

I'm gonna bump it to 4.1gr for my next loads.

(Mont.Gold 230gr FMJ, P14.45 w/ 5" Kart barrel, Winchester LP primers)

What did they do?

Did they let you shoot the match?

just wondering . . .

:wacko:

Edited to say, I'm a dumbshit for not reading you post better.