Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt Action Sniper Rifle

Lilly

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blaser might also be a good choice. Talk about a slick and fast action. Whew! But the sniper version is heavy. They do take detachable magazines.

After a little research I've found that they are made in 6.5X55, which would be the one to get. The mags are expensive and 5 rounds max.

hi all

due to the ridiculous laws over here a number of companies make both hi cap bolt actions and stright pull .308's. www.armalon.co.uk a www.southernguns.co.uk www.sabredefence.com . the staight pull .308's based on the FN suffer from v hard extraction . the R93 (if i recall right) is a unique bolt head with a ring locking system. when the bolt is pushed forward a plunger pushes the backs of the locking lugs forcing them outward into recesses in the barel walls. its v slick but expensive. for a cheaper option thats only 100+ years old try a Schmidt-Rubin straight pul in 6.5 swiss or have it rebarrelled. i will edit this with mor info next week.

we seem to have moved away from "sniper rifles" but i suggest a Parker hale m85 its light and accurate 10*7.62*51 and 20 rd boxes are available

j

Lilly,

All is not lost. Give George Gardner at G.A. Precision a call. He is designing a light tactical rifle that should be able to fill both comps and it id light. He is building with a carbon barrel and keeping weight under 10 pounds for the package. It is a .308 and has a break on it so Recoil would be minor.

I called G.A. Precision and talked to a fellow there. He was extremely helpful and talked to me at some length on the phone. I have a lot more information about configurations and options. It seems like mroe and more folks are recommending the 260. I have a friend that has one so I am going to try it out to see what I think about it.

• 4 months later...
I'd like to second the CZ 527 Varmint. It seems to fit your parameters nicely. 223 with 1 in 9 twist detachable mag. light weight with a fairly heavy barrel conture, HS precision stock has neat set trigger system. I just got mine about a month ago and love it, very quick, reasonable price and with the specials on the discontinued Vari-X III scopes ( put the 3.5 x 10 mil dot with target knobs on mine ) whole deal with 5 mags around $1100.00. Have shot out to 600 yds. in 10 to 15 mph winds ( In Kansas you shoot in the wind or you don't shoot ) with good results. If your budget allows higher end equipment the Tubb 2000 is a good choice on the other hand those Savage Rifles are hard to beat for the money, every one I've been around does a good job.

I wonder why the CZ 527 doesn't get more press?

The specs seem very nice...

Mike

I've wondered that myself. They make some pretty cool guns over there.

BTW if you are going to any matches that require you to knock anything over, .223 is not going to cut it. It will hit a Larue at 600 but won't move it. On flash targets at 600, hope that someone is spotting really close for hits. Kind of ironic, but, most people forget that an extra .10 on the bullet OD can make a difference on the precision events at 100 yards.

GA Prec does an awesome job and are highly respected in the shooting circles.

Take care,

Matt

Option # 1) Tubb 2000 in 6.5 XC or have McMillan barrel it for 6.5-284.

.260 is an awesome caliber but like Matt eluded to, it lacks the down range umph that you will need to drop Larue's. 6XC is great balistically, but again doesn't quite get it. 6.5XC and 6.5-284 definitely fill the bill without being punishing. Too the Tubb rifle is the heat.

Option # 2) Have a rifle built by a reputable rifle 'smith. GA Precision in Kansas City is awesome and arguably builds the best rifles...period. Check him out: GA Precision (ask for George). Great guy too as he keeps me in barbecue sauce!

He can build anything from mild to wild in any desired configuration (stock options, mags, etc.).

Option # 3) Buy a solid 700 in your desired caliber (or a barreled action) and place it into the Accuracy International AICS. It's a really cool setup and is the standard for a lot of military and LE Tac teams. The US distributor that I'd go to is at Tac Pro Shooting Center. They know their stuff and will take care of you. When you go to the site a second "catalog" pop-up window will come up and you'll see Accuracy International 'stuff' as one of your options.

Like MB said. Do not skimp on glass, rings or bases. Too many things can go wrong buy not paying a little more for the better parts. You really can't go wrong with Badger Ordnance. Too, Knight's Manufacturing is cool as I think they carry a 0-15 degree adjustable ring set to fit the rifle that much better to you (another HUGE plus to the Tubb 2k). For glass there really are only a few options IMHO. Horusvision, US Optics or Schmidt & Bender (spelling). In the latter two, have them set up with an HV reticle for ranging and holdover. Sniper's Hide did an interesting story on some "low dollar" scopes that Riflescopes.com carries that are supposed to be good solid glass for the dollar, without sacrifice. They're made by Super Sniper (or distributed, I don't know) but are only available through Riflescopes.com. Here's the article reviewing it: Sniper's Hide Scope Review.

Hope that helps.

Rich

The 6.5x284 is a great cartridge, but bbl life is very short, on the order of 1,200 - 1,500 rounds. If you have a rifle that allows the user to swap out the bbl, like the T2K or AI AW rifles, not much of a problem, except for the cost of the bbl. 7-08 might be another good choice for knocking down distant steel, but more recoil and better bbl life, on the order of a .308 or 6.5-08 (aka .260 Rem).

I believe the "Super Sniper" scope is a "sniper" scope made by Tasco that does have a National Stock Number, but as far as I can tell, no one is using it. They just sent it in for evaluation.

-David

Rich, you must have read me incorrectly or I put up the wrong info.

6XC and 6.5XC don't have the umphhh to knock down steel.

6.5 x .284 does just buy about 10 barrels to go practice

7 x 08 doesn't get the velocity from what I have seen and has a worse BC in a similar weight range

.260 will shoot a 140 with a BC of .637 at 2900. Not all of them will, it depends on the barrel. Brass is cheap, $200/k through Midway. No receiver or mag mods are needed if the gun was a .308.

All a .260 is, is a necked down .308.

Matt,

So for MOR rifle where distant 600+ yards steel targets need to be knocked down, the 260 Rem/6.5-08 is the way to go caliber wise? Or if you have $$$ for barrels, the 6.5x284? I have no experience shooting steel at that distance, only paper.

-David

Hi Matt,

I probably read something wrong. No worries.

I would think that for MOR and for Sniper matches that 6.5-284 would be perfect. It's definitely a long range caliber and would be a little "bored" at 600. However, it will more than get the job done.

For a strict MOR rifle (i.e. 600 yards and under) .260 or 7-08 (insert .308 vs. 30-06 debate) would do the job but I'll take the XC's now that brass is available (in theory from Tubb). I'm going to have to check the down range ballistics, but I think 6.5XC is adequate for 1000 yard steel knockin'.

Rich

Has anyone tested any WSM's for this purpose - like the 7 wsm?

I shoot a 7stw (8mm mag necked to a 7mm bullet) on a mod 70 super grade with a muzzle break. The gun is outfitted with a heavy wood stock and muzzle break. Its a screamer with great accuracy and low recoil....is there anyone using this caliber in competitions?

I am starting with a Remington 700P LTR in 308, 26 inch fluted barrel. I am taking to my local gunsmith this week and am having the scope mounted (Horis Falcon), muzzle break installed, stock cut down, recoil pad installed, barrel bedded, detachable mag installed and trigger worked on. I am hoping that the recoil pad and muzzle brake will make the recoil manageable for me. I will start here and see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Based on my experience as an LE sniper, I would have to recommend the .308 caliber for starters. It is light recoil if your rifle is setup. I know you don't want a heavy rifle, but heavy rifles recoil less. Look at a Rem 700 PSS or the Rem 700 LTR (it is lighter and shorter). Most Rems shoot 1/2 -3/4 MOA with match ammo out of the box. If you get the Rem I would recommend putting a 3 position safety on the bolt. Winchester Mod 70 Coyote in .308 is also a nice gun and shoots sub MOA out of the box. Winchester does not have the box magazine however. We had extraordinary problems with the Rem box mags on the dept. rifles not feeding well and I would consider an after market magazine since the rem mags didn't work well at all. My $.02 worth.

Nick

Sterling,

I'm have a 300 WSM that George built. It is in an AICS 2.0. Recoil is on par with a .308. .3 MOA 5 shot groups. No problems for sniper style matches that go to 1000+ but is a bit overkill for the 600 yard MOR stuff.

Lilly,

You might want to seriously look at the AICS over the other systems. No bedding needed, Mags work great and absolutely no difference off of bags or a bipod. Most guns will show a 3/4" or more difference in POI. People actully pay others to mount scopes? Damn I'm in the wrong line of work. :D

My only "real" rifle is a Ruger M77 MkII Compact in .308. As BigDave can attest, it's recoils ... briskly ... even with mild USA or UMC loads. The glass is pretty nice, though ... a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X40mm with mil-dots. I have no idea how well it shoots groups, but I think it would be fun to shoot it in a MOR match some time.

What would be a good choice for a muzzle brake for the skinny little lightweight barrel?

Should I put a bipod on it, or go old school and carry some shooting sticks or a backpack for a rest?

but is a bit overkill for the 600 yard MOR stuff.

Chris, I didn't know this was a problem....my philosophy has always been to have a little extra horse power. Especially when your dealing with environmental factors like wind or heat convections but then again my experience has only been on big game, prairie dogs, and steel. I was able to get a pretty good look at Matt B's setup in Idaho - there were a lot things going on in his world before he cranked out 5/5 on a 680 yd'r and 5/5 on a 550 yd'r. Had to say it was pretty impressive but the settup was time consuming.

Rhino:

You asked about brakes. My favorite is the Vais. Check it out at: http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/index.htm.

The trick here is that they do some fancy work to keep the brake quiet as well as effective. If you are shooting all out open competition a JP is probably better, but they can be truly obnoxious to those standing around you.

I just but about 400 rds through a 25-06 and have no shoulder marks. I could spot my own shots past 300yds or so.

I use this brake on a 25-06, 300WM, and 300WSM. I may put one on a 22-250 - really easy to spot shots then.