Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
cletus9mm

furthest pistol shot you've attempted and made

I used to shoot 100 yards fairly consistently. Hit one at 200 once but that was shear luck.

At a USPSA match, back in 1986,  under pressure hadx 3 targets at 100 yards with a 45 acp comp gun.  Was at the end of a loooong field course, 24 of 30 points.

For fun at my range, on 80 acres had a 12" steel plate hanging have hit it with everything from a 45 revolver to a 45 acp 1911.

I screw around at 100 yards pretty regularly.  Have tried to hit a 250 meter target before, but it was pure guesswork and just for giggles.  We walked in shots all around the target but didn't hit it.

about 3/4 of the USPSA target size, 3 shots max at a distance, if you can make one hit out of three, go 10 yards further. I went out to 90 yards.

100 yards was easy with my Dan Wesson PM9.

150 yards with a Gans .40. The hold over was crazy but it wasn’t bad to hit the 10” plate once you figured it out. 

200ish yards with CZ cts.  Silhouette target and could hit it with fair consistency.  Maybe 7 outta every 10

My oldest son purchased a smith and Wesson 629 performance center with a scope and I had my Apex M and P 9 CORE version.  He really didn’t think handguns could shoot far, so I decided we would put it to the test.   We set up a steel target I made first at 50 yards.  No problem, he and I both hit center mass first shot.  Then moved it out to 100 yds.  I was able to hit it 5 out of 5 with out too much difficulty and he hit 4 out of five. Then moved out to 150.  I had to start holding over a bit was amazed I was able to hit it 4 out of five. He took a bit more practice to get hits but did eventually.   We finished with a bit over 200.  I knew his 44 could do it but had no idea I could with my M and P.  However, I was amazed to hit 2 of 5 two different times!

A lot to be said about the Apex products and what they can do!

I know it isnt that far but I regularly shoot at 50 yard targets for Bullseye matches. Doing that with different pistols helps to show you how to control the gun better in my book. Once you can hit the Azone regularly and consistantly with your guns then move on to other mechanics of the sport. 

On 8/12/2011 at 5:51 PM, benos said:

The closest shot I announced (to my stomping buddy Bob Cheek), and made - I split a playing card edgewise with a .22 bullet at about 20 feet (on the first shot.) I was probably around 18ish. The gun was a 6" barreled S&W K22, which I still have.

be

I did something similar at an IDPA match.  One of the targets that was supposed to be engaged at shooting position #2 was visible at position #1.  I asked the SO if I could engage that target from position #1.  The target was pretty much sideways.  The SO said to me, "if you think you can make that shot, go right ahead."  Then he kind of smirked as if he was about to witness me butcher that stage.

The timer went off and I engaged the target.  I put an elliptical/oblong bullet hole through the head.