• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

300 yrds + just a little on 18"

Plate.

River Super Red Hawk 7" 454 Casull 1x4 Burris err pistol scope.

120+/_  on a White tail deer.

S&W 6" 657 (.41 rem mag)

100 yrds with several other pistols and revolvers 

Hopalong

• 7 months later...

100 or so yds probably but most every time I go and practice I shoot clay pigeons @ 50yrds. 

I can usually find 10 or so unbroken clays on one of the 100yd bays. I think a couple 100yards  would be a fun range to shoot some A-C steel for sure...

100 or so yds probably but most every time I go and practice I shoot clay pigeons @ 50yrds. 

I can usually find 10 or so unbroken clays on one of the 100yd bays. I think a couple 100yards  would be a fun range to shoot some A-C steel for sure...

250 yds on a B27. S&W 6" Model 29. 180gr bullet @ max charge of 2400. Friend wanted to try his 1911 .45 (he was a cop). We rested our backs on the trap house an shot out at the back wall on the pistol range. Seem to recall I was aiming over the head somewhere. He said he was aiming at the top of the tree behind it. Seems like I had all of mine in the body (not all 5s!) and he was all around it with some in. He decided he would use the carbine if the need arose  LOL.

I got to fire a few rounds with a stock 6" .357 revolver at the ram target on a metallic silhouette range.   200 meters/220 yards, and you had to hit the top few inches of the target to reliably knock it over (at least with the loads I was using).    I found it gratifying to hit maybe 1/3 of the shots.

• 2 weeks later...

Not extremely long but....

I used to shoot IHMSA matches with my Dad and we often practiced together. One day at the range, as a last test before packing up, we set up a shootoff target (half size chicken at 220 meters) and made a bet (who buys lunch) on who could hit it first from standing position. Dad shooting a Contender in 7mm TCR and me with my Dan Wesson 44V10. Dad hit it on his 2nd shot but just grazed the tail and turned the plate half sideways. "That's a hit!" he says.

I said, "That doesn't count in a match. It's still standing." 

"Well, I'll go double if you can hit it in 5 shots." He grinned.

I adjusted my sights 4 clicks up, lined up on the leg and picked a rock straight up from the leg and just over the top of the head. I squeezed off the shot and saw the chicken spin then fall just as the "clang" got to us.

He muttered, "I hit it first."

"Yeah. But I knocked it down. And I only got half the target to shoot at."

"So...  Where am I buying lunch?"

Still the best shot I ever made. :)

A long time ago, when I was younger and lived in a place where I could shoot farther.

Ruger .44 magnum Super Blackhawk 7.5" barrel - 200 yds. on gallon paint cans full of water.

Ruger Mk1 5.5" bull barrel - 7 out of 10 soda cans at 100 yds. was the usual average.

Ruger Speed Six .357 magnum with a 2&3/4" barrel - rock up on the rim of the big holler (spelled the way it's spoken) we used to shoot handguns in.  No idea how far away/up it was.  But it was always fun when a new guy went shooting with us to ask him about the rock and hear him say there was no way a "snub nosed revolver" was accurate enough to hit that rock.  Then, the usual average was , putting 3 out of 5 rounds on it was much more fun.

These days 25 yds. is about the farthest I shoot a handgun.

As of today, 500 (yes that is FIVE hundred!) yards with my open gun on an 18-20" steel. Before this my best was 100 on a 12" round (officially- I had shot at stuff further than that but didn't know the range). Today we shot the 100 yard rounds some, before moving on to 200 (seated off a rest and offhand), 250, 400, and 500. We attempted the 350 and 450 but couldn't call our splash well enough to make the necessary adjustments.

It was awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn’t too terribly long, ended up being about a 35 yard shot.  However, what I shot at was the best.  A few of my buddies were shooting trap with shotguns at a farm I used to go to.  I didn’t have my shotgun so was mainly running the trap house for them.  They weren’t doing all that great so I was giving them a bit of trouble about it.  So half joking I told them I could hit it with the only gun I had.  A Ruger sing six 22. So...  I call for pull, cock the gun, squeeze the trigger and broke the bird in mid air.  I was aiming but totally amazed I hit it. 

I should have stopped there and not tried to repeat it.....LOL

Edited by Angus46

• 3 weeks later...