Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot Through The Pain...

Ron Ankeny

I have never shot any matches other than small local matches in comfortable surroundings so last fall I decided to save up some bucks and get myself to a couple of tournament sized matches and several sanctioned matches this summer. I am not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination and I had to sacrifice in several areas just to save up a couple of thousand bucks for travel. In preparation for the summer months, I lost 55 pounds to help increase my endurance and improve my movement. I took January off from shooting and in February I began a rigorous dry firing routine. As the weather improves I will get to the range more often and practice with a plan.

I got derailed a few weeks ago by a recurring medical problem. I can stand and shoot, but the introduction of movement causes some problems. If I jog, get jarred, step hard, go to a knee, even think about going prone, etc. I often trigger some fairly intense neuropathic pain. It’s a sharp, stabbing, burning sensation from my right arm pit across the right pectoral followed by numbness. It’s not conducive to peak performance and I am becoming discouraged. I started to cower in the corner and wallow in self pity, but Sam and John won't let me do that.

My ego is in the way. I just can’t stand the thought of showing up at a tournament level match knowing I am running the risk of of having my ass handed to me by a bunch of shooters in B and C class. That type of thinking is negative and self defeating. I thought about asking USPSA to move me down in class on the basis of a medical condition, but I really don’t want to do that. I guess it’s time to cowboy up and ride.

So here’s the question. Do any of you know of some sports literature or something of the sort that talks about performing with pain? How would you prepare yourself mentally to compete in a big match if you were injured? Am I over thinking this whole thing? Should I just develop a “don’t give a crap attitude” and attend the match as a learning experience with little emphasis on performance. I am open to suggestions.

Ron,

Since I am an Easterner I can't cowboy up. :D

I usually take "Preformance Enhancing Drugs" ie: Tylonol about 30 minutes before I get to the match. :rolleyes: This usually helps me deal with the normal aches and pains of no longer being young. :D

However you might be describing something that needs medical attention. :( Have you seen a Doctor yet?

Bill Nesbitt

Ron..best I can add is just before one limited nationals..I tore a ligament in my strong hand shoulder..I was in a sling for two months before the match and shooting caused severe pain and swelling in the shoulder. Going prone, I had to really protect that side otherwise it was painful..

THe doc gave me the go ahead to shoot, using pain as my guide as he said..

so anyway..I get to nationals..I pretty much kept some heat on it to try and keep it loose.and used some heavyweight IBprofen to help the swelling and pain.

Through the match..I tried to stay pretty focused...iced and heat when I could. Only had to go prone on one stage..( got up really really really slow).

anyway..I found through being focused and using some pain management..I got through it and id quite well actually..

good luck to you...

Ron,

Pain tolerance is built up by just doing it. As long as what you're doing isn't causing you physical damage, just get at it.

But, please don't be like me and try to work through pain that's telling you to stop because you're causing physiological damage. It got to the point with me, where my physician and physical therapists were a little disturbed because I just wasn't sensitive to some stuff at all. I did a lot of damage to myself in the process and I'm paying a price for it now. I'm only 34, but my future mobility is pretty unclear.

I'll spare you the war stories.

My first ever major match was a local state level IDPA match. I had only been shooting about 4 months. Two weeks earlier I had broken 2 bones in my right hand, dislocated my wrist, and fractured the (radius/ulna I can't remember which one). I shot the match anyway. I was in pain the whole day, but it focused me. The worst part of it was accepting my plaque and shaking the MD's hand. I almost fainted when I stuck my hand out of habit and he shook it.

My choice then was to deal with it, and just shoot. Now I'm not sure what I would do. Go to the doctor and try to get some pain relief or make it better might be the first thing to do. You never know, some minor outpatient surgery could make you a new man. B)

As EricW mentioned, the key thing is to learn to recognize what your body is telling you when something hurts. If it's a signal that something is really wrong and you may be making it worse, you need to heed the warning and stop. If it's just soreness or some chronic pain that won't ever go away, then you have the option of choosing to press through it or not.

But you can't make that kind of decision unless you know what your body is trying to tell you.

I have the go ahead to shoot. The problem with neuropathy is it will trigger out of the blue. Imagine shooting a stage and everything is going fine, then you step on the corner of a box and an intense burning pain stabs you in the right chest. You move to the next position and you raise your arms and your pec seems numb and raising your arm is an effort. The next stage everything goes fine. Then on the following stage, the nerve is totally pissed off so it rears it's ugly head just from planting your foot. It sucks and it's frustrating. I can deal with arthritis, pulled muscles, tendonitis, and so on because I understand those problems.

Interestingly enough, the most common outward symptom for what is ailing me is a sudden and often times violent mood swing. The leading cause of death is suicide. Damn, and I am going to be running around with an Open blaster and a belt full of big sticks. :lol:

Well, thanks for letting me vent.

My ego is in the way. I just can’t stand the thought of showing up at a tournament level match knowing I am running the risk of of having my ass handed to me by a bunch of shooters in B and C class.

Ron, don't worry about it. It just ain't gonna happen. A lot of people are young, nimble and painfree, and they still can't shoot half as good as you. ;)

I would much rather be you, risking some young "B" class hoser beating me on a stage or two by athletic ability, than to be the young hot shot who gets blown away in the overall by the old Master.

I remember very well being a fit 32 year old and getting smoked regularly by an arthritic, grey haired gent twenty years my senior. Funny, we are both a whole lot older now and if I don't watch it, he will still clean my clock. :lol:

Ron,

Like everyone else is saying, be SURE you’re not doing yourself any further damage. If not, go for it, adrenalin is nature’s painkiller… at least for a little while.

There have been times when I was so bad off that I had to be helped off of the range, but only AFTER I finished the stage! Who’s going to win, you or the pain? I can’t speak to yours but know what the answer is for me.

Good Luck my Friend,

Ed

adrenalin is nature’s painkiller… at least for a little while.

I never really thought about that, but I know it's true. I have had some traumatic injuries that damn near killed me but I didn't feel anything until after the event. I am going to go for it...no guts no glory...God hates a coward. You guys rock. Thanks for the encouragement.

Sam:

Speaking of youth...I was guiding some hot shot snowmobile riders up in the steep and deep on an extreme ride a few years ago. We were way back in the boondocks in a blinding snowstorm and our tracks in were blown full. I picked the easy lines, and just plugged along leading the guys out before they became overcome with panic. I stopped to drink some water and check the GPS when one of the guys said, "When you gonna pull on that throttle old man?" I just looked at him and replied, "I know where we are, do you?" He never said another word.

Flex:

Yeppers, a change in habitus could be a contributing factor. I have seen a couple of doctors (more than that actually) and I have gone through this before. It isn't as simple as muscle or joint pain, it involves nerves. I am in the process of deciding how agressive I want to get in diagnosing the exact cause of the problem. Neurologists, MRIs, and so on are the next step. For now, pain management is the treatment.

What makes this different is it comes without warning any time, any place, and that's the way it is. Imagine having electrodes implanted in your right pectoral muscle. During a match, some sadistic SOB is going to shock the living crap out of you without warning. The pain will be severe but over quickly and it will be localized leaving you with a burning sensation followed by momentary numbness. You don't know when it will happen or how many times. All you know is it will happen when you are moving unless you walk like you were on glass. It's a fact of life and you can't stop it. That's what I am trying to prepare myself for mentally.

I think I just need to accept it as another challenge to overcome, remain focused, and do the best I can do. Perhaps now is the time to trust that my best, even with obstacles, is good enough.

Ron,

I'm not convinced that you have to just put up with it. And, know that Vitamins & Minerals...and water...are often left out when people go on any type of diet (heck, they are just plain lacking in the US food chain.)

On the condition...lots of info on the web (google it). Just pretend it isn't you and that it is a loved one...that will make it easier to research.

But, you asked this question in the "Mental Forum"...

With that in mind...quit thinking about your performance and placement. There is no way any of that can be altered (other than failing to show up...and that is pansy-assed). All you can do when it comes time to shoot is to shoot.

Live in that day and at that moment...shot-by-shot-by-shot.

Well Ron, hope you feel better. If you are getting the MRI hopefully they are looking at the spine right? My dad has some old injuries where bone mass builds up and puts pressure on the spinal cord just before the nerves split off to the arms.

I guess if it comes up in a match you should transition to weak hand and shoot it all. If anyone snickers remind them that freestyle means just that and you were just trying to give them a sporting chance. As for results, nobody cares how you finish except you.

As long as shooting won't worsen the injury, it comes down to mental toughness. The human body can do 10 times the amount of work the average man THINKS possible.

Obviously you can't focus on the pain, just accept that as long as you are shooting, the pain is going to be there. Then (as the slogan says) just do it.

Not a doubt in my mind that you can do it. Tear it up.

Thanks guys, if nothing else I am now convinced that not shooting would be chicken shit. Ooops, I can't say that can I?

Jake:

Actually, the pain is an instantaneous "holy crap" that comes unnanounced. It is so pronounced as to cause an automatic reaction without thought. Just need to snap out of it and carry on. When it happened at the local match last Sunday I missed a target at three yards and punched a no shoot dead center. Heck, I have had so many traumatic injuries from accidents that it isn't uncommon for me to drive 90 miles to the hospital with busted ribs, a dislocated shoulder, fractured sternum and a wiped out knee, lol.