Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fowler Automated Bullet Dropper

a couple years ago i saw an interesting gadget to drop bullets on a 650 or 1050 called a fowler automated bullet dropper and have recently picked one up off a prize table. would like to know if anyone else has one of these and if someone knows how to get in touch with the manufacturer. the instructions mentions a way of changing the caliber it is set up for by inserting an adapter tube, but as luck would have it the instructions don't have a contact number on them. the one i got was for a 44/45 and i need to convert it to a .355. good shooting, j.l. hardy

the gsi unit is the one that brian had posted about. it looks like a fine unit. the one i have is made by Fowler, inc. and has plastic tubes that you fill with bullets and place on top of the dropper much like filling primer tubes. it had retailed for around $325 more or less if i am correct. it is installed in the hole where the powder check die would go. it would work for a 1050 or a 650. filling the tubes with bullets takes some of the glow off it but if i made up extras at least i could fill them watching tv or something and have them ready for speed reloading.

JL, I think I have the adapter you need. If it works for you, you can have it.

Hangin' Chad -- There's a picture of one in this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...pic=10908&st=15

Schmitz/Henry -- Exceptionally nice fellow in Illinois was the only supplier I could find -- Emidio Gaspari. Contact information is:

Gaspari & Assoc.

852 Old Elm Road

Lake Forest, IL 60045

(847)295-5998

So far I'm impressed with the quality and workmanship of the device. It has one or two warts, but works pretty well once you get it adjusted for your bullets.

One drawback for me is the tubes - they only hold 35 .45s. And on a 1050, the tube has to be heated and "curved" to clear the case feeder. If I could find (and have no reason to think I couldn't) the right tubing, I could cut it to custom lengths holding 100 bullets. You have to stop and reload primers every 100 anyway, so anything more wouldn't make sense for me. The problem would be the weight, and supporting that off-center, curved tube with 100 .45s in it.

So as I was thinking about a solution I started reloading with just the feeder and no tube installed. It holds three bullets without the tube. I found myself just feeding the feeder and I sort of liked it. It kept my fingers out from in between the dies and the toolhead and I just keep dropping bullets in it after each stroke. If my left hand is a little slow arriving with the next bullet, no worry. Keep pulling the handle and feed the feeder on the downstroke.

So far, I like it.

Mark / ima45dv8

I wrote a little piece on the Fowler Bullet Dropper last month. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...pic=10908&st=15

Or email me, and I'll send pics to you direct.

Emidio Gaspari (847 295 5998) has a few in stock right now. I'm not sure about price, but around $200.

He also has a little plastic tray that helps collate the bullets for loading into a plastic tube. I bought plexi or lexan type tubing from a local supplier, and cut a handful of them to fit between my 650 and the ceiling.

I can load hundreds of bullets into these tubes in a very short session.

I could not live without this thing. I just pull the handle and watch that the case is getting powder.

I have loaded many bullet sizes from 9mm to .45, in many weights, and lengths.

Currently loading Zero 115's. Perfectly!

By the way, Emidio is great guy, and an honest businessman.

• 1 month later...

JL, I just ordered one from Emidio Gaspari. Price was $190 for the unit, $10 for a collator (funnel thing), and $10 FEdEx Ground. I learned that it is caliber specific but an adjustable one in in the works. Gaspari told me that a less expensive model is also being perfected that is made from fiberglass impregnated plastic. The one I have coming is steel. He said that there are 15 or 16 units out in the world that he has sold. He offers a money back garrantee if not happy. For $210, I had to give it a try. Lee and the guys at the range now say I have hit a new high in laziness. I'm telling them that I just want to be more productive, spend less time reloading, more time shooting. Check it out the next time you are at the range.

thanks to mark i have been able to set up my fowler dropper on the 1050. i have loaded several thousand rounds with it so far and it works very well after being adjusted for the bullet. i was able to find a pvc tubing that was the correct size at lowe's to make up tubes that hold about 100 bullets. as far as fop's new high in laziness i do have my concerns. but i have to admit that i have a 13 year old primer tube filler and now bullet collator. emilio gaspari has been very helpful as well and is sending me a tray to help in the bullet collating. this piece of equipment seems to be very useful and durable. contact emilio to get your own, he has them in stock and offers a money back guarantee if you don't like it. good shooting, j.l. Hardy

JL,

I also have the Fowler bullet dropper (from Emidio) and have been getting things adjusted. I went looking for the tubing but could not find any clear rigid tubing that was .375" I.D. Most of the plastic tubing that claimed to be 3/8" was actually under .350" and useless for our purpose. There are a few plastic suppliers in my area that I will try next. Anybody else have a convenient source??

Leo

leo, the tubing that i used wasn't clear either, i couldn't find any that was. the stuff i used was cpvc i believe and i used my calipers to shop for it. measuring the outside diameter carefully i found it to be just right. wall thickness was a little more than the clear but worked fine for me with .355 bullets. good luck, j.l. hardy

• 2 weeks later...

We now have access to the Pneumatic air operated bullet feeder mentioned before in some threads.

I am working on getting pictures and a video clip on the web site.

Cost will be $1050.00 for the Feeder and Collator.

Expensive I hear you all scream, correct it is.

But just think, no more tenitis in the left arm and 100 ounds in 2 minuites, or there abouts.

Since getting new stock we have already sold 10 complete units........................

http://www.ghostholster.com

Angus