Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting The Corn Cob Media Out?

dpeters8445

I have one of those fancy Dillion CM-2000 Case/Media seperators and I am waudering on how thourogh you all are about making sure every last bit of media is seperated from your cartridge cases.

I tumbel the cases for about 5 minutes to get the bulk of the media seperated. I then empty the bin of media and resume tumbeling for about another 5 minutes. I try to get every last bit of media seperated so it does not clog up my gun.

Am I being anal about sorting every last bit of media from the cases? How thourough are you about getting the media out? Is there a certain brand of media that seperates more effeciantly?

Thanks

What kind of cases?

My pistol cases I tumble for about 10 seconds. 99.995 % of media is out.

For 223 cases. I tumble for about 30 seconds. Unfortunatley, on de primed cases, some media always gets stuck. On the first station of my reloader, I use a universal decaping die, from RCBS I think, to punch out any remaing media.

Your 5 minutes sounds a bit excesive. But what do I know? :wacko:

I tumbel the cases for about 5 minutes to get the bulk of the media seperated. I then empty the bin of media and resume tumbeling for about another 5 minutes.

You tumble your cases about 15 minutes longer than most of us do. ;) 5 minutes is extreme overkill even for bottleneck rifle cartridges. The likelihood of corncob jamming your gun is pretty much zilch.

Tumble less. Shoot more.

Yea, five minutes is nuts. You got a motor hooked up to that thing?

;)

Here's a good trick to get that last, clingy bit of media out of your cleaned cases. Get a plastic dish (washing) pan from your local grocery store. (You don't see them in use that much anymore. But they have about a 6" wall, and fit into one side of your average sized double sink.) Cut a slit in the middle of the bottom, running cros-wise, almost all the way across the bottom. The idea is to have that slit the lowest place in the pan, so you can either bend it down on each side of the slit, or maybe just leave it set over the weekend with a 10 lb weight in the bottom (slit). You obviously don't want the slit to get big enough so that the cases will come out. Now put the tumbled cases into the pan and shake them around a bit before spraying on the case lube (Hornady, One Shot, of course), and any renegade bits of media will exit the bottom before you pour the cases into the hopper.

(Or you could just drill a crapload of 1/4" holes in the bottom of the plastic dish pan.)

;)

BE,

You know, it's really strange that this subject came up now. I just got done shooting the Fl Open and talked w Kert Gaskill. I was having a problem w light loads (posted in another thread here) and he told me it was probably corn cob getting stuck in the flash hole around it and the primer ignition not getting threw enough to set off the round like a normal load.

I'll try and see if it works. I have noticed quite a bit of corn cob media laying around lately, like in my ammo bag, case feeder, etc.

If I'm cleaning deprimed brass, I always check the flash holes because media can get lodged in there, on brass that still has the fired primer in place, I don't worry because depriming will remove any obstruction.