Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scopes for Open Guns

AikidoGirl

I'm new to IPSC shooting.  Right now I'm shooting a 45 caliber open gun with open sights.  My question is, what kind of scope should I use?  I have been told that the CMore or holographic scopes are hard to see in bright sunlight.  I live in southern Texas so the sun is most definately out most of the time.  Thanks in advance.

Whoever told that the cmore is hard to see should go for an eye exam. It is adjustable for intensity. Right now it is THE scope. The Optima is making some progress but still to early to tell. Rumour has it that C-more is coming out with a scope the size of the Optima. I'll wait and see. C-more has won a bunch of titles. Try out a couple different styles and see what you like.

The C-more is a good scope..has a lot of time in the winner's circle. I used to shoot one till I quit open class a few years ago. I am now doing the search for a new scope too. But from what I remember...and being told again..most people are like a 6 to 8 minute dot as it is big enough to keep from getting washed out in bright light on white steel and precise enough for tight shots. All the dots will tend to wash a little in a specific situation, but as I remember it is no big deal. I have used the tasco pdp series back in the early days of scopes, the Aimpoint Comp model and the c-more. I was happy with all, one of the common complaints was people trying to find the dot on the c-more..most of that was them trying to look through the tube and having a inconsistent presentation of the gun to eye level..no big deal with the right training. Good luck to you...try a bunch of different scopes out..most people will let you..

Hey anyone have an opinion on the Gilmore Leupold LG35 model???

I have a Halosight on my AR and a C-More on my 38 super. I chose them specifically for that weapon for various reasons. In my opinion, for a pistol, the C-More rules. One thing you may want to start focusing on more than the dot is your choice in shooting glasses. I carry a couple pairs of sunglasses (w different tint), plus a pair of clear and yellow Gargoyles. When you approach a stage look closely at your targets and try to define the perforations. Many times the change in sun position throughout the day may have different effects on our vision that we don't notice. Experiment with it, you'll see. And let me warn you, darker isn't always better. The same applies with your ability to see the dot in different conditions.

Flexmoney,

The gun I'm using is an old school 1911 frame with   a single port compensater.  I'm using this gun because it's what my husband handed me.  I used to shoot competition about 8 years ago.  When my daughter was born that went out the door.  At that time, I shot a 686 revolver.   We just started up again about a month ago.  

I like the gun because it's faster and so much easier to shoot then my revolver.  I'd like to get an STI but the money is tight right now, so I'm just trying to update this gun.  My husband shoots a 2 port compensated para 38 super.  The scope he uses a Tasco (old school) Propoint worked over by the scope doctor.  I really don't like the tube design hence me asking what you all like.  I really like the looks of the c-more.

AikidoGirl,

I doubt you can go wrong with the C-more.

I asked about the gun because I was afraid that you were a brand new shooter.  I'm happy to hear that you aren't.  Comp gun can get pretty loud.  I'd hate to have to learn on one (flinch).  And, optics for a new shooter, to me, is a big shortcut.  I would rather a person master the good old post and notch first.

I am all for shooting what you got (gun wise).  And, seeing as you are stuck in the Open class with the big dogs, you will need an optic.  

Welcome to IPSC.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 5:04 am on Sep. 3, 2001)

AikidoGirl,

You'll love the Cmore and will never regret it. The Holosight is also nice, either one you'll love and won't regret it. I give the edge to the Cmore slightly.

Pat,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I saw you on the cover page for the article on the Area 1 in Front Sight. Good deal.

Flexmoney,

I agree that its good for new shooters to start with iron sights, but I also feel it is good for them to switch rather quickly to shooting a dot because it really makes them realize how important trigger control, recoil control and how the gun recoils while watching the dot. It is harder for new shooters to see and realize that shooting irons. It helped me a lot and made me a better Limited shooter by shooting Open.

Aikido Girl,

I suggest you use the C-More.  I've tried the holosight, and while it is much easier to "see", it just weighs too much!  I was having an extremely difficult time "handling" the gun with the added weight.  Most noticeably, I was "driving" past targets and ending up with TONS of misses - not good!

I've been using the Cmore for over 3 years now, and I do NOT have any problems with seeing the dot in any light!  For reference, we're in Northern California - so we do see the sun sometimes :-)

And welcome to the Brian's Forums - it's nice to see another GRRL!

Kevin wrote:

I agree that its good for new shooters to start with iron sights, but I also feel it is good for them to switch rather quickly to shooting a dot because it really makes them realize how important trigger control, recoil control and how the gun recoils while watching the dot. It is harder for new shooters to see and realize that shooting irons. It helped me a lot and made me a better Limited shooter by shooting Open.

I can't argue with that statement.  I kinda agree with it.

I just don't want anybody going over too soon.  I've seen way too many shooters that don't have a good grasp of the basic post and notch.

Sorry guys, but I have to disagree with you.  I struggled for years with an iron sighted gun and was downright pissed off when I got the open gun because no one had forced me to get it earlier.

I think new shooters should try and use both as much as possible to find the one that works best for them.

Thanks everyone for the advice.  I'm definately going to go with the C-More.  My husband just informed me that he found a used 38 super that he wants me to shoot.  I definately like the 45 better just because I like the bigger hole it makes but he says I'll have an advantage with the 38 super.  I'm sure he's right.  No harm in trying it.  Thanks again for all your help.