Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Powder Test

N5XTH

I want to start off here by stating that this is my first post - I have been reading the threads for about 6 months and have found them to be a wealth of good information. Thank you all for that.

I did a bit of a test tonight using 147 grain FP Precision Moly bullets in my Springfield XDm 4.5" 9MM. I have been using the moly's for about 2 months now and find them to be consistent and relatively inexpensive. REading the threads has taught me the concept of 'soft' shooting versus 'snappy' shooting - as I get older, soft is where I want to be.

Using Titegroup was just a bit too smokey for my liking using the Moly bullets, though I did have good luck with it using plated bullets. I moved to Solo 1000 and found it to be not just soft, but fairly accurate. I am a bit of detailed person, and my Dillon SDB just did not meter the Solo well. I want to throw 3.3 grains, and I was throwing anywhere between 3.1 and 3.5 grains. Almost 50% of the throws were off - I was basically using the Dillon as a turret press and measuring every throw.

BAsed on threads I bought some VV N320 as well as Ramshot Competition powders. I have used Ramshot powders before. It is my powder of choice for my .44 Magnum and .357. It is just hard to find. VV N320 was also difficult, but not as bad as the Ramshot.

Let me also state that I did not Chrony the loads - my limited competition involvement (primarily Action Pistol) does not require the Power Factor). My tests were done based on fee (soft vs snappy), and smoke.

All loads were shot at 15 yards at an indoor range - all bullets had a COL of 1.100....

The 3.3 grains of Solo 1000 were definitely the softest of the rounds. Accuracy was also very good - Out of 20 offhand shots, 18 were in the 10 ring - widespread but in the ring. The rounds were consistently smokey.

The 3.1 grains of of Ramshot Competition were in the soft range. Accuracy was excellent - Out of the 20 offhand shots, 18 were in the 10 ring. Much less of a spread as well - 8 of the shots were touching just left of the bull. Not smokey at all. Metering in the Dillon was totally consistent.

The 3.5 grains of VV N320 was just about the perfect compromise - not as soft as the previous round, but nothing uncontrollable. The VV gave the round a destinctive sound and movement. Accuracy was also excellent - 18 rounds in the 10 ring, but 10 of those were touching each other.

I think all of the rounds are more than usable - I am going to see how we do at 25 yards over the next week. Interesting to see if they are as consistent as their 15 yard brethren. I am also going to do this with 124 grain flat points. But at this point I am going to be moving to the VV N320.

I moved to Solo 1000 and found it to be not just soft, but fairly accurate. my Dillon SDB just did not meter the Solo well. I want to throw 3.3 grains, and I was throwing anywhere between 3.1 and 3.5 grains. The 3.3 grains of Solo 1000 were definitely the softest of the rounds. Accuracy was also very good - Out of 20 offhand shots, 18 were in the 10 ring - widespread but in the ring. The rounds were consistently smokey.

Welcome and thanks for the info.

Strange that 3.1 - 3.5 gr Solo was accurate, or was that when you were measuring each powder charge?

Jack

Welcome to the forums. Thanks for posting research data. It's like candy around here.

A few observations:

It's no wonder 3.3 S1000 feels soft with the precision moly 147's It takes me around 3.6 to be comfortable with making PF and they are so soft you almost don't need hearing protection to shoot them.:cheers:

Any powder with the molys will smoke. As you learned some more than others. TG is one of the powders NOT recommended by precision for their bullets. I loaded some with S1000 and they smoked as well.

The reason 3.5 was not as soft as your S1000 load is due in part that it's much closer to minimum PF of 125. So it's a little hotter.

Stick with the 320. It's an excellent powder.

FYI, if you are talking about shooting NRA Action Pistol (Bianchi Cup) there is a power factor of 120 that you have to reach.

Once you find your powder that you like the feel of then try some different/longer load lengths. I've gotten more of an accuracy difference from loading longer for my 9mm Bianchi gun than from differences in powders. I'm loading out to 1.157" OAL now and still testing some more. This is for a 9mm Schuemann 1911 barrel so your optimum load length may likely be different.

Chris