Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LC bulk brass processing

BigBets

I recently purchased 5000 once fired LC brass and have been doing some reading where it appears there are many different opinions on what is the best sizing die for this brass to be fired in several of my different ar-15s and continue to work in the mixed lot of my ars without problem.

Any suggestions appreciated and thanks in advance

Jacob

Jacob, Don't get too anal about processing your brass. Ar's are very forgiving and LC is pretty consistent thru the years. I know plenty of XTC shooters who will run mixed year headstamps at the 600yard line. But they do run each gun with its own brass, just cause it lets the brass live longer. If you really want to run the same brass thru all of your Ar's you first need to find the one with the smallest chamber headspacing. Use a RCBS precision mic for this. Then set your sizing die to set the shoulder back maybe 2-3 thousands smaller than that chamber. This will insure solid functioning while working your brass the minimum. As far as dies.. To each their own, most XTC shooters that i know use the RCBS full length small base die. The SB dies size the brass farther down the case than their standard dies. No need to spend a fortune on Redding dies. It's just a AR. If it has a good barrel and set up it will shoot X's day without babying the brass.

Good luck

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

If you are loading for a 5.56 chambered AR, then I agree with the others. Also, if you are routinely having to do fairly good sized volume, then a Dillon trimmer is worth the price.

Caveat: if you have a tight .223 chamber, then you might want to look at a "Small Base" resizing die, but you have to be careful to lube the cases well or they will get stuck. With these cases, you may find that you are better off resizing them as a separate step because they do take some extra force.

I agree on the small base die and make sure you use good lube. I've used one shot for a long time from the aresol can and had no problems. I tried one shot from the plastic pump bottle (water based) and ended up getting a case stuck in the die. One week later the RCBS stuck case removal tool came and I was in business again. I threw away the water based one shot and went back to the old lube pad system. I also hope you have the Dillion trimmer to speed up the trimming process. You'l also need to swage the primer pockets if these are truely once fired.

I have re-loaded lots of LC brass, and have never had to trim cases. Before you invest time and money in trimming load a few rounds, case guage them (check the length at this point in the case guage) and shoot them. If all is good then make a mental note of how far out of the case guage the neck extends, if at all. You will see if any stick out appreciably farther.

Edited by mpeltier

• 2 weeks later...

I run a lot of LC brass, both in 5.56 and 7.62. I deprime and clean the brass, swage the primer pockets, then resize prior to trimming with the Giraud. Consistent length is important for setting up crimping that runs the same case to case. I use the Lee FCD, with great results.

I keep the brass separate for the different AR's, as each chamber is different, allowing the longest life on the cases. For the old H-Bar, circa 1970's, the loaded rounds that perform best will not chamber in any of the Sabres that I now run. I have some Winchester brass for it that has 18 loads on it, and still is performing, though I do anneal every fourth firing.

5000 is not an endless amount it takes less than 3 hours to size/deprime and trim that many on a 650 with a Dillon trimmer.

"650 with a Dillon trimmer" being the key phrase.

I'll give you $100 to do 4000 pieces for me. :D