Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Alabama Sectional Championship

We here at East Alabama Gun Club would like to welcome you to our home club for the Alabama Sectional Championship. Just a word or two about the match. We are looking at having 8 stages + crono, High round count(around 225 to 250), trophies and prizes, stages that will challenge everyone from the U Rev shooter to the GM Open shooter and at the same time, no Impossible shots. Around here we like high round count stages with very little standing still and options. If this sounds like something you like, then you need to be here for a really fun match.

More details to come soon. :cheers::sight:

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought I might add an additional update:

Our initial hurdles were, do we want to do the match, then can we get it approved by the AL Section coordinator. Than was all done, so we made the basic announcement. Now we are working through who will do what, what has to be done, and what it costs. Once that is done, we will decide on the entry fee (we will keep it as low as possible) and other items that will have to go out match entry form.

In the plans:

1) Matchbook on line, not printed.

2) Each stage will have a sign with the stage diagram printed on it so it you don't print out your own match book, you will be able to see it again.

3) Probable start time will be 8am EASTERN TIME.

4) Lunch on Match day (local BBQ joint) will be included in the match fee.

5) Trophies for sure, and Prizes. Until we know sponsor participation, we will not know the fashion that award pr prizes will be done.

6) Raffle prizes for RO/range staff.

7) We will have at least Trophies for Division and possibly classification winners regardless of the number of participants.

8) This will most likely be a lost brass match. Part of the comp to the ROs.

We want this to be a match that will be enjoyed by shooters of all levels.

An interesting note: While reading the Alabama Sectional ByLaws, we ran into the following -

1. MEMBERSHIP- A USPSA/IPSC affiliated club that wishes to become a member of the section must sign the section bylaws, signifying its acceptance of and intention to abide by the section rules, policies and procedures. The club must then be recommended for membership by the section coordinator. Final approval will be by vote of the Section Executive committee.

A. CLUBS- must be USPSA affiliated prior to applying for section membership. The section coordinator will assist unaffiliated clubs in becoming affiliated with USPSA/IPSC.

B. INDIVIDUALS will be considered section members if they are:

1. USPSA members in good standing.

2. (Active) members of an affiliated Alabama (section member club).

a. (Individuals shall be considered active by competing in a minimum of four approved matches within the section during the 12 months preceding the section championship.)

3. State residency is not required since some clubs draw a portion of their membership from outside the state.

This was in the bylaws because at one time one of the Florida panhandle clubs was a member of the section. Also, we have numerous club, like ours that are on the border with another state, and there are no other clubs close by. So, after consultation with the current and incoming Area 6 Coordinators, it was concluded that since we have announced this as a Sectional and not State championship, we would abide by the Bylaws. We will be asking shooters to tell us on the entry form whether or not they qualify as a section member under these rules. And frankly, all we can do is take your word for it.

No one that I talked to knew this part of the Bylaws existed. I happened to find it while looking for something else. This should in NO WAY reflect on how any other sectionals have been run. Maybe we should change it, but that is not the task at hand.

If you live in another state, you need to research into the Bylaws of your own section to see if shooting in our match and eligible for Section Championship, would make you ineligible for your "other" section championship. Area 6 has no such rule, and there seems to be no USPSA rule.

We hope to have stages posted online by January, and if we can work it out, we hope to have animated walk-throughs as well.

Thanks,

Mark Kauder

2011 AL Sectional Match Coordinator

I thought I might add an additional update:

Our initial hurdles were, do we want to do the match, then can we get it approved by the AL Section coordinator. Than was all done, so we made the basic announcement. Now we are working through who will do what, what has to be done, and what it costs. Once that is done, we will decide on the entry fee (we will keep it as low as possible) and other items that will have to go out match entry form.

In the plans:

1) Matchbook on line, not printed.

2) Each stage will have a sign with the stage diagram printed on it so it you don't print out your own match book, you will be able to see it again.

3) Probable start time will be 8am EASTERN TIME.

4) Lunch on Match day (local BBQ joint) will be included in the match fee.

5) Trophies for sure, and Prizes. Until we know sponsor participation, we will not know the fashion that award pr prizes will be done.

6) Raffle prizes for RO/range staff.

7) We will have at least Trophies for Division and possibly classification winners regardless of the number of participants.

8) This will most likely be a lost brass match. Part of the comp to the ROs.

We want this to be a match that will be enjoyed by shooters of all levels.

An interesting note: While reading the Alabama Sectional ByLaws, we ran into the following -

1. MEMBERSHIP- A USPSA/IPSC affiliated club that wishes to become a member of the section must sign the section bylaws, signifying its acceptance of and intention to abide by the section rules, policies and procedures. The club must then be recommended for membership by the section coordinator. Final approval will be by vote of the Section Executive committee.

A. CLUBS- must be USPSA affiliated prior to applying for section membership. The section coordinator will assist unaffiliated clubs in becoming affiliated with USPSA/IPSC.

B. INDIVIDUALS will be considered section members if they are:

1. USPSA members in good standing.

a. (Individuals shall be considered active by competing in a minimum of four approved matches within the section during the 12 months preceding the section championship.)

3. State residency is not required since some clubs draw a portion of their membership from outside the state.

This was in the bylaws because at one time one of the Florida panhandle clubs was a member of the section. Also, we have numerous club, like ours that are on the border with another state, and there are no other clubs close by. So, after consultation with the current and incoming Area 6 Coordinators, it was concluded that since we have announced this as a Sectional and not State championship, we would abide by the Bylaws. We will be asking shooters to tell us on the entry form whether or not they qualify as a section member under these rules. And frankly, all we can do is take your word for it.

No one that I talked to knew this part of the Bylaws existed. I happened to find it while looking for something else. This should in NO WAY reflect on how any other sectionals have been run. Maybe we should change it, but that is not the task at hand.

If you live in another state, you need to research into the Bylaws of your own section to see if shooting in our match and eligible for Section Championship, would make you ineligible for your "other" section championship. Area 6 has no such rule, and there seems to be no USPSA rule.

We hope to have stages posted online by January, and if we can work it out, we hope to have animated walk-throughs as well.

Thanks,

Mark Kauder

2011 AL Sectional Match Coordinator

Thanks for all the hard work Mark

So are you saying we should join EAGC? :P

Well, you could, but you could go over and shoot at the Mobile area Club 4 times between now and then.......

Yeah come on :ph34r: over would gladly like you to come shoot with us! :sight:

Zactly, what I was thinking, Brett.

So are you saying we should join EAGC? :P

Well, you could, but you could go over and shoot at the Mobile area Club 4 times between now and then.......

Yeah come on :ph34r: over would gladly like you to come shoot with us! :sight:

Zactly, what I was thinking, Brett.

Don't you have to be a member of the club and shoot 4 matches? Of course not sure how all clubs decide who is a member?

I would assume by paying their yearly membership dues to the range the USPSA club is based.....

Determining what exactly (Active) is may be a different story...

Yes, this was a little confusing at first.

What we conclude from this is that Clause 2. says you must be an Active member of an Alabama section club, however that club defines membership - Dues, or whatever (regardless of your actual state of residency). Sub-clause 2.a. defines Active for the purpose of participation in the sectional championship for that year.

For example, our club is right on the border of GA and AL. I am guessing that fully 80% of our 210 members are live in GA whether by residence or orders of the U.S. Military. Fully half of our active core competitive shooters in the club live in GA. There are no GA clubs in a reasonable area. So they have no other USPSA club to be members of.

SO, for our match, we will follow those rules, we know that activity of our members that live in GA, but we will take the word of other State Resident and non-State resident Alabama Club members that they are "Active" as defined by the bylaws.

Thanks all for the opportunity to clarify this situation.

We are continuing to hash out details.

We anticipate being on the USPSA Calendar soon, and having the Match Application posted here and on our website by or near the first of the Year (Sooner if we can do it).

The AL Sectional Match Director will be our Club President (and the owner of the range) Alan Lavender.

Gary Stevens (up in KY) has accepted our offer to be our Range Master.

Bill Noyes will be our Stats officer.

We anticipate the Match Fee to be Under $100 including lunch at the range on match day.

We will be offering Trophies, and prizes based on order of finish.

I hope that covers if for the night, I am bushed.

Mark Kauder

Match Coordinator

Guys, my comment was totally tongue in cheek. Sorry if it caused any confusion.

No, We understood. :unsure:

As far as I can see, this part of the Bylaws has two purposes (and I am only guessing here): 1) make sure that residents of bordering states that are active members of an AL club can shoot in the match, and 2) preclude someone from paying to join a club (maybe one with really low dues) and then shooting for the AL Title without having shot in AL that year prior (in other words, some Yankee carpetbagger :roflol: ). You CoonA$$s would never do that....... :cheers:

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Status Update:

Things are moving along nicely.

1) We are getting commitments in from Sponsors.

2) We are assembling possible stage designs, and hope to have them to the RM Gary Stevens by the middle of the month for NROI approval. Once approved, and we get them formally drawn up, we will get them posted on our eagunclub.com website (that web page is in development).

3) As soon as the web page is up, we will have the Entry Form Posted. Entry fee, including Lunch will be $100, $50 for Juniors. ROs shoot free and get Lunch both days.

Mark K

• 2 weeks later...

The Web Page is finally up.

2011 Alabama Sectional Information

We will add the Stages once they are approved, and Match Book, Sponsors, etc, as we have them.

One thing that will be changed on the entry form and on the webpage as currently shown, is the the price shown for additional meals is $10, not the $5 shown.

Hope to see many of you there.

Mark K

We have received Level II approval. Self-Squading will be available by the first of the year or so. Entries have started to roll in. We are getting sponsors.

If you like to shoot alot - this will be a good match for you 8 stages, 249rounds. Average of 31.13 per stage. Shortest stage is 20 rounds. Longest 38 rounds.

Here are the stages. Sketchup versions of each, including Fly-by animations of the stages, will be available on our website very soon.

2011 Sectional

Mark K

Bay 1 - TargetsEverywhere.pdf

Bay 2 - Sheet Music.pdf

Bay 3 - Joo Crazy 2.pdf

Bay 4 - The Journey.pdf

Bay 5 - That\'s a Stretch.pdf

Wow- those are some mad crazy stages! Talk about runnin' and gunnin'. I'm definately going to have to do some of those memory exercises or I'll wind up with a ton of FTE's!!!n This is going to be WELL worth the trip down from Bah-ston.

Application is in the mail!

Donna