Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited gun with a Racker?

Corey

Some of the other threads got me thinking about this concept. If having a racker on an open gun is looked at as such an advantage, why dont more (if any) people use them on Limited guns? As far as I know (which ain't much :roflol: )it'd be legal to do so. Seems like it could give you a bit of an advantage against the majority of other shooters not using them. Again, I'm just throwing ideas into cyber space here. :sight:

What say you?

Some of the other threads got me thinking about this concept. If having a racker on an open gun is looked at as such an advantage, why dont more (if any) people use them on Limited guns? As far as I know (which ain't much :roflol: )it'd be legal to do so. Seems like it could give you a bit of an advantage against the majority of other shooters not using them. Again, I'm just throwing ideas into cyber space here. :sight:

What say you?

No need, there is no scope in the way... You can rack from the front serrations and have a lot less distance to your hand back to the gun. (It's faster without one)

Also, this is an external mod...

JT

Edited by JThompson

The way the "prohibited modifications" clause should be parsed is: "External modifications or features to control or reduce recoil, such as weights or devices (such as but not limited to thumb rests or components which could be used as such)." (How it reads: "External modifications or features such as weights or devices to control or reduce recoil (such as but not limited to thumb rests or components which could be used as such).")

Further, there's the special condition: "Any complete handgun or components with a minimum production of 500 units by a factory and available to the general public." There're definitely 500+ Sidewinders out there.

Not prohibited, IMO. That being said, I can't see how one wouldn't mess with your sight picture.

Have built 2 for johnny corbet in amarillo,tx w/ slide racker a few yrs ago & he uses it to prop it up on starts & of course racking in empty gun starts.

Interesting Benny... They way the rule IS written, I would say it's not legal.

JT

Edited by JThompson

They way the rule IS written, I would say it's not legal.

Why? "External" modifies the phrase "modifications or features . . . to control or reduce recoil". External modifications aren't prohibited, else we wouldn't be able to lighten our slide with anything other than ports and wouldn't be able to modify frames, either. This is supported by the fact that we can use things like tungsten guide rods, RecoilMasters, etc., since they're internal modifications that control or reduce recoil.

The way you're reading it is putting the emphasis on "external", just like the way some folks reading the Second Amendment put the emphasis on the "Militia" clause.

Have built 2 for johnny corbet in amarillo,tx w/ slide racker a few yrs ago & he uses it to prop it up on starts & of course racking in empty gun starts.

Did you just cut a dovetail in front of the rear sight?

I saw one done this way a few years ago. Can't recall if it was Johnny or not.

I shoot limited with a racker, I injured my hand as a youth & have limited use of my left hand. USPSA JA oked the use, & at my recent RO course the question was asked and george again said it was legal.

Manny

Edited by TruStreet

Interesting Benny... They way the rule IS written, I would say it's not legal.

JT

I know of a forum member who put a racker on his limited blaster after sustaining a hand injury when a round detonated. He decided he wanted his racking hand on the side opposite the ejection port.....

I've been running one on my limited Glock for several years, through at least 3 nationals. No problems at all. I do get asked at least once per nationals "is that thing legal?". Gotta say yes, there is no rule against it as far as anyone has ever found.

For me, I don't normally grab it to rack the slide but more or less, it is a fail safe if I go to grab the slide & slip, my hand hits the racker & there we go, instead of having to regrip. Of course it makes a really nice kickstand as well. :ph34r: Before I got it, I had two matches where the mag release was pressed releasing the mag on a loaded table start. One was a real bummer as all your mags were downrange other than the one you started with. Really dusty range & I had to grab the mag out of the sand & shove it back in the gun. Haven't had that type thing happen again since the racker was installed.

MLM

Here is the one I've got on my guns. Has some advantages over the one posted above but also costs more so it is nice to have options, I suppose. You can remove or replace it in 30 seconds or less with almost any tool you can strip your glock with. http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FCH&Category_Code=_GlockS

MLM