Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Duane Thomas

Well, if the good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise (as my dear, sainted Mother would say) in the next issue of Front Sight there'll be an article by me called "IPSC Classifiers:  Sandbagging & Grandbagging" that gives my thoughts on this topic. Briefly put, I don't think there's anything wrong with grandbagging as long as you're using it as a method to motivate swift improvement.  Think about it:  When you get moved up to the next higher class, there's going to be a time period where you're at the bottom of that class, skill-wise, and can't win anything.  Which means you need to get a lot better, real fast, so you can start winning things again.  All grandbaggers are ensuring is that they're going to be going through that process, of being at the bottom of their class and unable to win anything, fairly regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

It was pretty funny at Area 6 match this year they had "the worst Grandmaster award"......too bad he had already left and was not there to recieve it.  Titles really mean nothing, but we do seem to get wrapped up in them.

I recently shot a classifier in which I loaded and made ready from a magazine that had just 4 or 5 rounds in it. Imagine the astonished look on my face when I ran dry. The RO refused to allow me to shoot the classifier over, stating that doing so is not ethical. So, what does a guy do in that case?

What a guy does is insist on shooting it again.  As long as you don't plan on using your second run to count as your score for the match, you have the right to at least "shoot it to your ability" for your classification.

I'm going to hazard a guess that all the truly great shooters grandbag. We know that's the case with Travis, and, from a previous post on the late but fondly remembered old message board, Brian. It's part and parcel of their desire to excel that MAKES them great shooters. I have to wonder if the disdain some people evince for the practice doesn't carry with it a certain element of jealousy.

Duane,

It's the old mentality of "I want x, but I don't want to work to get x." I'm getting some flak from my fellow shooters for practicing on twice weekly basis.  I set a goal in October 2000, after missing sharpshooter on an IDPA classifier by about 9 seconds, of reaching expert by this October.  I've practiced hard and (thanks to this forum and its predecessor) smart and have just made sharpshooter with a time in the high 130s.  So with five months to go I'm about halfway there.  If I can sustain the effort, I might just make it.  

I think it comes down not to the question of "How good of an IPSC shooter are you" but rather "How hard do you want to work to be a good IPSC shooter".  There is no substitute for hard work and practice.

It's also a question of how hard you want to continue to work to become really good. It is not the desire to win that wins, it is the desire to prepare to win that wins.

In my own case getting into the C class in IPSC and Sharpshooter in IDPA was accomplished with good gear, drawing on well developed fundamentals from another shooting sport, and virtually no dry fire regime or practice.  Getting into the next class up takes daily dry fire, weekly live fire, and some study. I have been doing dry fire evey morning, live fire four or more times per week, and at least 3 matches a month since March. All of that to get into A or B class (I am getting old and feeble). As you get better, it becomes more and more difficult to break through the barriers and get over the humps. I would imagine that some where around A class a guy is going to need to devote a lot of time to dry fire, live fire, and the mental game. I don't know enough about IPSC to comment on becoming a Master class shooter. I don't know what the physical and mental requirements are, but I am going to find out pretty soon.

Our annual steel match (138 shots minimum if you don't miss) on reactive steel is on June the third. In preparation I am dry firing every morning, live fire every afternoon, and I spend most of my day visualizing instead of working. I might not win, but I will know I did my best and anyone who beats me will sure enough have paid their dues. That is enough to keep me going win, lose, or draw.

• 2 months later...

Duane-

A good reason for.....what did you call it....grandbagging?  That's a new expression for me....

Personal reasons have forced me into temporary retirement a couple of times....the first time my classification was dropped (back when they still did that).  I was about 5% off of A class, and back then, the only way to prove your previous class was to get ahold of an old score book; those came out 4 times a year, and usually just to the RD.  Now I got some crappy scores I want to get rid of, so I want to shoot classifiers; get my % back where I think it should be.

I don't think that's a bad thing.

Well, according to Robin Taylor at Front Sight, if the good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise, in the September issue we'll see my article on Sandbagging/Grandbagging and also my review of the Smith & Wesson 945.

Unless that changes, of course....