Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which low profile gas block?

rvb

Hey all, I'm looking for some inputs on a gas block. I'm looking for low profile gas block, that's non adjustable. needs to fit inside VTAC's newest handguards, measured 1.3" inside dia. While it's going to be a dedicated game gun, I'm not a dedicated 3-gunner, so I want the reliability of a full-gas, non-adjustable block. Any suggestions? I've thought about taking JP's or Firebird's adjustable block and locktiting, staking, or even welding the screw in place, but if I can get one that has a reputation for being good to go w/o the hassle, I'm all for it.

Searches all came up with info on adjustable blocks.

Thanks!

-rvb

I have done the conversion of a standard base. Took me about 30 minutes with my mill, a belt sandder, chainsaw file, and some sandpaper. I went a little bit beyond just lopping the tower off though. I actually contoured the gas tube area to match over it's full length. I then opened up the taper pin holes and tapped them for 8-40 set screws. put the taper pins in the barrel. then I milled flats into it so that the set screws had a flat surface to bite into without making removal difficult. Parked the thing and you'd think it came that way from the factory! It's been going strong for over 8K rounds!

Ken

I have used this one from cmmg.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/CMMG-.750-Micro-Gas-Block-909

I have also used the Noveske which is similar.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=gb750ss2&cat=164&page=1&search=&since=&status=

both are designed with that sort of aplication in mind.

I have used this one from cmmg.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/CMMG-.750-Micro-Gas-Block-909

I have also used the Noveske which is similar.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=gb750ss2&cat=164&page=1&search=&since=&status=

both are designed with that sort of aplication in mind.

The Noveske has the added advantage of being drilled for a cross pin, if you want added security.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Regarding cutting down a standard sight base, it's a new barrel (18" WOA, rifle-length gas) without a base, and it's not cut for the standard cross pins. If it were an existing complete barrel, I would just go that route (in fact, I have a carbine I am thinking about doing that to). A FS base costs almost as much as some new blocks.

Are the "clamp" style better than the "set screw" style? Seems like that would be more solid? I was even thinking of drilling through the block and into the barrel and pinning it in place so it couldn't rotate or move, but that may not be necessary or be overkill?

Re-looking at Firebird's smallest gas block after reading some posts in their subforum here (Get that website working!), it sounds like they don't just use a set screw for gas adjustment, but a bolt with a head that can be torqued down, and they include a short screw for "wide open" gas. I might re-think that one.

Thanks again,

-rvb

Re-looking at Firebird's smallest gas block after reading some posts in their subforum here (Get that website working!), it sounds like they don't just use a set screw for gas adjustment, but a bolt with a head that can be torqued down, and they include a short screw for "wide open" gas. I might re-think that one.

Remember, that if the gas block is under the handguard, you may have to remove the guard to adjust it.

Remember, that if the gas block is under the handguard, you may have to remove the guard to adjust it.

well, it's only going to be partly under the handguard. the new rifle length vtac handguard covers up ~1/2" of the gas block on rifle-length gas setups, which I didn't realize when I ordered it. was planning on using a railed block incase someday I decide to add irons. but that wont work. hence the search for a low-pro'. But I still want something "set and forget."

vltor looks good...

-rvb

I'm quite happy with the low profile YHM one I installed on my midlength barrel. It is a set screw type, but the BCM barrel I got is dimpled for set screws, and the screw and dimple lined up very nicely. I have used a shaved down standard sight base for years and worked fine, but it was cross pinned so I had to replace it with the new barrel. 

I liked the look of the vltor, but since the consensus seems to be that they are all good to go, I went with the Troy block at just $35, roughly 1/2 the cost.

My WOA barrel is dimpled, so I guess I am confident enough in the set screw. Is one dimple enough, or should I toss it in the drill press and put in a second dimple for the forward screw? Leaning towards adding the second dimple, seems like that would make it more solid.

Thanks for all the input.

-rvb