Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shortening The Sti Trigger

Newguy

Being one of those unfortunate people with a short index finger, I needed the shortest d/s trigger I could find. The STI and SVI short triggers were too long.

The solution was to fill the STI trigger with some kind of epoxy and grind it down, but I couldn't find the right stuff until I discovered Premo! at Hobby lobby. This is a very thick polymer modeling clay that comes in a lot of colors and is baked on at a low temp (275 deg. for about 15 minutes or so). Anyway, I filled up the trigger with Premo, put in the hex wrench for the reset screw, cleaned/smoothed up the sides and baked it on. After it cooled, I used the dremel to ground the trigger down (about 1/4" from the frame at its the widest point). Although the trigger ended up smooth, I suppose a soldering gun could put some stippling on it.

I was skeptical about whether Premo would bond to the polymer trigger, but after 3 weeks and a lot of rounds it's holding fine. BTW, the shorter trigger definitely makes the gun feel smaller and helps achieve the 90 deg. bend on the trigger finger.