Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scoring Policy

zorba

Nik,

Your position is understood, but please note that "shoot-through" situations are not prohibited - it's just an advisory to be wary of them. In fact, Rule 9.1.5 et al actually explains how to score "shoot-throughs", but it's obviously far better to avoid them in the first place. Of course if you can set up stages with free-standing Penalty Paper Targets which do not create potential scoring headaches, more power to you.

However a similar advisory applies to, say, score sheets. Obviously we'd like them all to be correctly completed by all competitors and Range Officers (I'm an optimist!), but we have Section 9.7 to tell you how to deal with problems which arise.

Vince,

O.K., sounds like we might be closer together on this than I initially thought ---- and one of my inspirations is of course to not cater to the lowest common denominator. Shoot-throughs could happen --- but for the most part it would take a real brainfart on the part of the competitor...

And it may be a local thing too --- as in this type of stage design has been shot here for a number of years and people have learned how to deal with avoiding the no-shoot penalties, and any attendant shoot-throughs that might arise. I find shoot-throughs (and that includes scoring target to scoring target shoot-throughs) to be the toughest thing to watch for when designing a truly freestyle COF, since if it's freestyle, not all competitors may use the same path through the pit to find and engage all the targets.

QUOTE (Jim Norman @ Feb 29 2004, 10:01 AM)

If the shooter got the NS on shot 1, AND the RO could actually see where the shot hit on the NS, then he wasn't doing his job anyway. He is supposed to watch the shooter and the gun, not see where the hits are, that comes after Unload and show clear, et al.

A Range Officer worth his salt watches much more than just the competitor's gun. In any case, if the Course Design & Construction is done properly (such as with no possibility of shots passing through one scoring or penalty target and striking another scoring or penalty target), there will be fewer things for the RO to watch.

Vince and Yoda,

I agree that the RO may see certain things beyond the shooter, however seeing the shooter and what he is doing especially with regard to where he is pointing his bullet launcher is Job #1. If he should be in psition to see a hit, fine.

By the way, I am not in Tallahassee, that is another Jim Norman, I am the one in Area 8. And John Amidon was my instructor at the RO class I took a few years back.

In fact I have been thinking of taking the CRO class in the near future.

Nik's description of our stages is excellent. They make for exciting stages with multiple paths to engagement. Nothing more boring than the IPSC Conga Line.

On the subject of Shoot-throughs, I agree that a ST where a NS is behind a shoot, or where a steel can be hit either through a Score or NS target is a bad thing. Using a free-standing NS that blocks shoot targets from one position but not another is a fine thing, as long as it is not taken to an extreme.

Jim Norman