Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Son Is 10 And Wants To Shoot.

Nick Weidhaas

I'm just getting back into USPSA and recently started shooting IDPA as well. S&W runs indoor IDPA and USPSA matches in the winter so I have been shooting there.

My Son is 10 (11 in March) and he shot two local IDPA matches (his 1st) this past week with me. Our intention was for him to try a USPSA local match next month as well. He shoots a single stack 1911 (.38super.) He is very safe and mature for his age and gets good hits. He has been shooting rimfire rifle since age 7 and clays since age 9. He asked me if he could shoot a IDPA classifier match coming up. I called IDPA to get him sighed up and they told me he COULD NOT JOIN. I explained his shooting experience and was politely told sorry, no exceptions, write a letter to the BOD's if you want, but he can't join until he is 12. I asked where the age 12 minimum membership age came from or how it was established? They did not know. I then asked why he could not shoot? I was told for "liability reasons" he could not join IDPA until age 12.

I then called USPSA and asked them if my son could join and shoot. They said of course, as long as he is safe and a parent will supervise him, no problem. I then proceeded to get my son a USPSA membership. Interesting how the two associations treat juniors differently. One welcomes them with open arms and the other slams the door in their face.

I have to say that my local IDPA club was very supportive of my son shooting. It is IDPA HQ and this rule I take real issue with.

Nick-

This is interesting, I don't recall IDPA asking for my age when I joined. I am 20 years past the young age of 12 but don't recall the question being on the membership application. Correct me if I'm wrong......

Is this rule in the green rule book?

I guess maybe I should have read before typing.......Pg 45 in the green book says

effective 9-1-97......members must be 12 years of age.

Sounds like IDPA must have different lawyers than USPSA.

Good luck to you and your son! Families that play together stay together!

Edited by C Sims

My 9 year old daughter will be shooting this year. I am starting her out with a .22 that she ca handle. This summer I plan to allow kids to shoot at our IDPA matches. We will just run them in and IDPA "LIKE" side match just for kids. They will all shoot for free and they will all get ribbons.

Our club runs a weekend for the kids with the help of the NRA. I don't remember them asking to turn away kids under 12. The Kids get to shoot different types of guns. What a great concept, "Teach the kids safe gun handling skills".

If IDPA doesn't want kids under 12, just don't get them a membership. Talk to your local match directors. I will bet they will set something up for the kids.

Nick,

You are doing it right, when my son was about 6 I read a sign at a shop that said

"Take your son huntin and you won't have to go huntin for your son"

I not only continued that I got into USPSA shooting with him, many years later we are still hunting and shooting together and so far I have never once had to go huntin for my son.

Good luck to you and your son.

Nick,

Don't let IDPA discourage you on bringing your son to the range and having him shoot. If he's anything like my kids he'll be excited upon receiving his USPSA membership card and the other goodies.

Go to TGO's website and take a look at the KIDS THAT SHOOT section, there you will be able to show your boy other kids, including mine, that are involved in the sport.

Those little guys are TGOs of tomorrow!

My son has shown an interest in shooting, and I just ordered another holster setup so he can have his own gear. I have seen young kids shoot at our matches before, and it is great to see someone so young like the hobby.

Good luck to you and your son on being able to convince the RO into letting him shoot.

Allen

My daughter started shooting when she was 8 1/2 at our local club. She started out with a P22 with a C-more on it. She shot her first big match in Dec. at the SA steel match and ended up 3rd in .22 div. I am still having her shoot the .22 just but she will be shooting a 38 super at the Lady Smith match in April. She just turned 9 in Jan. I have never been told by any of the USPSA clubs that she was to young.

I don't understand what IDPA see's wrong! Our Jr's shooters are what will carry all shooting sports further down the road.

1st. FOCUS FIRST AND FOREMOST ON GUN SAFETY AND PROPER GUN HANDLING!!!

2nd. Don't except them to shoot well at first. It took 6 months for Shea and then she took a huge leap and now has been in the middle of the pack every week for the last 3 weeks.

The greatest reward I have had with her shooting was a Master Class shooter complementing Shea on her safety and her gun handling. He told her it was the best he had seen in a long time.

Like some of the others said don't let IDPA get you down. It maybe just that club! But I will say USPSA as far as I know is the only group that does focus on it's JR's!!!!!

Mark S (AikidoGirls Driver and ammo slave)

Like some of the others said don't let IDPA get you down. It maybe just that club! But I will say USPSA as far as I know is the only group that does focus on it's JR's!!!!!

Mark S (AikidoGirls Driver and ammo slave)

It was not the local club that had the issue, it was IDPA HQ. The local club allowed the junior to shoot their match. I just hope this does not put a damper on the junior's enthusiasm. :(

You're doing great dad, keep it up. :)

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. I am a firm believer in spending quality time with your kids. It is a big bonus when you kids enjoy the same hobby you do and get excited about it.

The local IDPA club is very supportive and will let my son continue to shoot. It is IDPA HQ that I am upset with. I can't believe they are willing to turn away a junior member due to his/her age. Amazing.

I am happy that USPSA is not this close minded and is willing to support junior shooters. IMHO, the big issue here is safety. My son handles his pistol (Caspian 1911 single stack in .38super) in a very safe manner. He gets all his hits on paper (he might miss a upper A zone once in a while, but don't we all). I believe it is the parents responsibility to make sure their child is safe when they bring them to a match. I have a friend who is not letting his son shoot matches yet, because he does not feel he is ready. This should be a parental decision. A junior shooter should not be limted by a standing rule made up by a BOD.

Take care everyone and remember to take your kids shooting.

Nick-

• 2 weeks later...

I just started training the youngest recruit rto our club

She is 10!

As long as they are mature enough to understand the consequence of their actions and can control the gun, whats the problem.

We need to start the kids young, as they are the future of the sport!

My 2c worth.