Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring for M&P using 147 grain load

1911jerry

This is an easy question for you'all....

I am jumping into production for the winter time.

I have a new M&P 9pro.

My load will be 3.3 grains of VV N320 under a Zero 147 gr JHP loaded out to 1.130ish

What recoil spring brand/weight works well with this load.

Thanks

Jerry Snyder

I am currently running a similar load VV320 MG 147CMJ @1.125 not sure the charge weight, but it chronoed a 134 at nationals. Runs 100% with the stock spring.

I will only use the stock recoil assembly in any of my guns. (ok one exception my open gun :P )

This is an easy question for you'all....

I am jumping into production for the winter time.

I have a new M&P 9pro.

My load will be 3.3 grains of VV N320 under a Zero 147 gr JHP loaded out to 1.130ish

What recoil spring brand/weight works well with this load.

Thanks

Jerry Snyder

Does that load make minor? I don't have a chrono so I do most of my load research here on the forum, and for jacketed bullets I have been using 3.6 or 3.7 gr of vv320. If 3.3 makes minor out of an M&P that's great.

• 1 month later...

How often should you change out the recoil spring on a M&P? I shot my 9 and my 9L last night and the 9L felt like everything was in slow motion compared to the FS 9. I have far more rounds though the 9L and I'm starting to think that it might be time to change out the springs.

Hmmm, in most gun's I've found that the recoil isn't the same with different loads. 147gr loads that make 130-135pf don't cycle as reliably in most of my hand guns without lighter springs. For example my 147gr loads in my Glock 34 didn't work 100% with factory springs- yet it does with 14lb springs- well nothing it 100% but it was much better with the 14lb spring.

A little OT but when I first started reloading for .45 in my 1911, I occasionally had FTF and FTEs. Factory ammo is closer to 180pf where my loads where under 170pf. At the time I thought it was the gun being unreliable... now I believe otherwise. YMMV

I have a new M&P 9pro.

That load isn't going to make Minor and probably won't cycle the gun. It takes me 3.7gr of N320 to make 136-137PF. VV's published data for a 147gr XTP shows 3.1gr at just under 800fps (117PF). R,

Really? That's what my load is...I found a few people who had been using it and just copied their recipe as I don't have a chrono.

My computer took a dump and I lost my old load data from when I was using 115s, but it did make 125pf at the PA State IDPA match. This load with 147s is only a few grains less so I expected it to be fine.

edit: oh I just found my own post above...I think that was my 115 load, 3.7 of n320...or maybe I'm just completely confused...no that can't be right. I really need to find my old notes

Edited by waktasz

Atlanta Arms 147 JHP in a 9L with a Storm Lake ported barrel chronoed 133 PF with an 11# ISMI spring. Fired a 1" group at 15 yds. It also runs fine with a 13#, 15# or factory spring. I use the non-captured spring to use an SSS Tungsten Guide Rod. FWIW, the same ammunition in a factory barrel ran a 128 PF.

We'll be working on trying to find a gassier load with Remington and Winchester 147 JHP to get the gun to run a little flatter. Interestingly, the only load that runs flatter and feels as good is a MAJOR load of M.G.JHP 124gr 6.6 of Autocomp WSP Primer BlazerBrass (once fired) 1.165 OAL gives 1380 fps and a 171PF. We're going to try TG and Autocomp to begin with and see what happens.

Edited by 70116

Atlanta Arms 147 JHP in a 9L with a Storm Lake ported barrel chronoed 133 PF with an 11# ISMI spring. Fired a 1" group at 15 yds. It also runs fine with a 13#, 15# or factory spring. I use the non-captured spring to use an SSS Tungsten Guide Rod. FWIW, the same ammunition in a factory barrel ran a 128 PF.

We'll be working on trying to find a gassier load with Remington and Winchester 147 JHP to get the gun to run a little flatter. Interestingly, the only load that runs flatter and feels as good is a MAJOR load of M.G.JHP 124gr 6.6 of Autocomp WSP Primer BlazerBrass (once fired) 1.165 OAL gives 1380 fps and a 171PF. We're going to try TG and Autocomp to begin with and see what happens.

"We're"? You got a team there? :lol:

Why would a "gassier load" run flatter...are you running an Open setup with a comp? If not, more gas will cause more recoil/flip. If so, you don't want to be using 147gr bullets.

If you want the gun to be flat, work on your grip. I've demonstrated this time and again to "experienced" shooters. I take their gun, that they say has too much flip to shoot fast, and with their ammo, rattle off repeated fast splits to where they say "it's barely moving". I'll then show them the difference between a normal grip, and a good grip, and how much difference there is in muzzle flip. R,

Why would a "gassier load" run flatter...are you running an Open setup with a comp? If not, more gas will cause more recoil/flip. If so, you don't want to be using 147gr bullets.

If you want the gun to be flat, work on your grip. I've demonstrated this time and again to "experienced" shooters. I take their gun, that they say has too much flip to shoot fast, and with their ammo, rattle off repeated fast splits to where they say "it's barely moving". I'll then show them the difference between a normal grip, and a good grip, and how much difference there is in muzzle flip. R,

WE most definitely have a team. I've got a bunch of young guys (from 17 to 65) who seem to get a great deal of pleasure from helping a 70 year old IPSC beginner. Two in particular are working with me on learning reloading and helping me develop loads.

This particular gun has a Storm Lake Ported Barrel (which I understand is somewhat like a comp and was noted in my post). Since it also has a Delta Point, it is an Open gun.

Gun #2 has an actual comp and a Delta Point which also makes it an Open gun.

I agree that grip is the key factor. I got help with my grip from a couple of local guys (Max Michel, Jr. and Blake Miguez) and I work on it every day.

Since the future is now for us middle aged folks and I agree with Dan Burwell that "red dots" are the future of sights for CCW, I just ordered a Delta Point for my daily carry CCW, an M&P 9c. I guess that makes it an Open gun too.

WE most definitely have a team. I've got a bunch of young guys (from 17 to 65) who seem to get a great deal of pleasure from helping a 70 year old IPSC beginner. Two in particular are working with me on learning reloading and helping me develop loads.

This particular gun has a Storm Lake Ported Barrel (which I understand is somewhat like a comp and was noted in my post). Since it also has a Delta Point, it is an Open gun.

Gun #2 has an actual comp and a Delta Point which also makes it an Open gun.

I agree that grip is the key factor. I got help with my grip from a couple of local guys (Max Michel, Jr. and Blake Miguez) and I work on it every day.

Since the future is now for us middle aged folks and I agree with Dan Burwell that "red dots" are the future of sights for CCW, I just ordered a Delta Point for my daily carry CCW, an M&P 9c. I guess that makes it an Open gun too.

I was just teasin' you on the "we" :D

Sorry, I overlooked the part about the ports on the SL barrel, so I get why you want more gas. In that case, forget 147gr bullets, they won't get you what you want. You want to drop down to something like a 124/125gr bullet, which is why you liked the feel of the 9 Major load with 124gr MG bullets and Autocomp. Titegroup and 147gr bullets won't be much different from Atlanta Arms, and will likely be worse since AA uses a slower powder than TG, which produces a bit more gas volume. Autocomp, HS-6, 3N37, and Silhouette are all powders worth trying with the lighter bullets. R,

R. No problem with the teasing. I took it that way and also used it as an opportunity to express how great the people I've encountered in this sport have been to a newbie. :cheers:

I'd be very content to use the AA 147's for minor since they're the best thing that the gun shoots in that realm. We'd like to find something I can use for practice to save a few $ and we're also going to experiment with 95gr for the Steel.

My 2nd load expert really likes 7625 for Major so we're going to try some 125's with that. We're also going to try the 125's with a range of other powders for Major and minor. I'm certan that my friend and mentor Darrell will post any interesting results on the board

I'm hoping that I get as good as the ammunition some day. ;) Everyone seems to be learning from this experimentation and I'm having fun as well. I was the first on the block with the Delta Point and now a whole bunch of people are talking about getting one.

Anyway, my apologies for hijacking the thread - I'm off to try some other new stuff with my M&P 9c Open gun.

George