Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Para Magwell Vs. Ice?

basman

Aside from the plastic inserts, can someone tell me the differance between the Ice magwell and the Dawson for Para magwell? Is it worth the extra bucks? They sure look the same on the Dawson site.

Thanks!

The Ice has a bit bigger "mouth" and overall dimensions. It will not fit the IPSC box if that is a concern (or so I am told).

The plastic inserts are great because after you beat one to death you just chuck it and drop in a new one and you have a new magwell. With a standard aluminum magwell the throat will eventually show lots of wear and tear.

Hope that helps.

I love my Ice but there are others who hate them.

My major problem with the ICE, and the reason that I sold it was that the heel of my hand would hit it and tip my gun every damned direction -usually up. Get 1/8" lower grip on the gun on the draw and you're just hosed. That sucker is huge.

If Dawson would tone that thing down a bit and not hog so much of the grip with it, it'd be a winner, IMHO.

YMMV...

Eric must have large hands, everyone I have ever talked with loves the ICE and swear it has spead up there mag changes.

I like the way the larger magwell makes the gun feel and point for me with my small hands. Mine is an SVI though.

Heck I wish they made an ICE for a singlestack.

I'm with Eric. Yeah, fast mag changes are great and all, but it's about the shooting, not the mag changes. That thing is a behemoth that turned my nice STI into a single stack (In ape-speak that means that it was wrong for my hands and every time I grabbed it it was positioned slightly differently... which means front sight is not in rear notch).

If only there were a way to take a nice chunk of metal out of the back of that thing and still have it be as big where it counts....

The Dawson works well for me...I have smaller hands..so this one of the few magwells that I can actually feel on the bottom of my hand...with it..my hand fits my SV and STI gun and I hit the gun the same spot every time...

Eric must have large hands...

Actually, I don't. I can see the Ice working if you (a) have really small hands that never touch it, or (MCMXLI) have very large hands that can contact it the same way every time.

Fortunately, there's all kinds of great choices available for 2011 shooters. The Ice is definitely a quality piece of equipment, but I don't think it's for everybody, or even most for that matter.

As a parting er... "shot" I'll say that the magwell is not a tool to improve one's reload speed. It's a tool to spare one the agony of a majorly (new word?) blown reload. The only thing a solid reload hits is the slide and the mag catch.

Off to the range to test the EGW magwell....

Yeah, for 2011 folks there are a lot of choices. For Para though the choices are a bit fewer.

I don't have huge hands but they are not small either. The way my hand hits the magwell helps push my hand up so I have positive lock on the grip safety.

The great thing about mag wells though is that if you don't like one you can swap it for another one pretty darn easy...unless you get one that require modification to the gripframe and well, then your options start diminishing rapidly. ;)

...it's about the shooting, not the mag changes.

It's supposed to be but I have seen some stages where I suspect the designer would disagree with you. ;):D

I got the regular Dawson for my Para. Like it a lot. It is plenty big. The S&A is a boat anchor that I think adds a lot of iron. The Dawson ramps out the front of the opening, which the older designs don't do. When I am off, it's usually too far front. Downside is that it only works with Dawson Pads. Some others can be modified to fit, but they become weak, and may not live. I have been told that the ICE is tighter in this respect.

I wanted to make a weld-on well, but it looks like I will never get to it. Are there any good ones out there?