Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Homemade 3 gun carts

caz41

I got my cart for free, but I can tell you I wouldn't want to shoot a match without a cart of some kind. If the only choice I had was paying retail for a gun cart, I might still do it. Lugging 2 or three bags around a range for 8 hours just sucks.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't made the plunge yet and either bought a jogging stroller nor a dedicated 3 gun cart like a Rugged Gear. Those who have bought a jogging stroller, added a couple of gun racks, and added a little extra items for convenience... I figure you are mostly into one for ~$120 and your time. Do you regret it? Do you think you would have been better off spending the extra $100 on a cart that was purpose built as a gun cart?

Goodness no! My cart is the best thing ever! Fixed a single for IDPA Major matches so I wouldn't have to hunt for a spot to put my bag and cooler down.

Updated this year to a 2 seat stroller for more room for a real cooler and because my friends tend to use my cart too. I changed from round metal to square aluminum tubing to cut down on weight and to stop it from rolling forward. Still have to figure out a good sturdy way to mount and umbrella mount to it.

10915195_10152483902326512_5581463079110

I haven't made the plunge yet and either bought a jogging stroller nor a dedicated 3 gun cart like a Rugged Gear. Those who have bought a jogging stroller, added a couple of gun racks, and added a little extra items for convenience... I figure you are mostly into one for ~$120 and your time. Do you regret it? Do you think you would have been better off spending the extra $100 on a cart that was purpose built as a gun cart?

no cause the pre built were built like crap....i looked

I got mine for $20, IIRC. Maybe as low as $10. I also have a double that I got used (that was actually for my kids) for like $15 about 7 years ago.

Availability and price can vary widely by location. When I lived in College Station, TX, you'd be lucky to find a used one on Craigs List for $75 (they all tended to be high-end brands, too.

I bought that double in the DC area, and the single in Newport News. YMMV.

I made one out of a deer cart and I think it works way better than the stroller method. It is much more compact (easy to fold down flat and also easy to remove wheels), has large hard rubber tires (no flats), is easy to move around and pivot and it was pretty cheap to build. I was really happy that the balance worked well with none, one or two long guns, also with a bin or no bin on the platform. I can open my trunk and set it up, strap the bin on, guns and I am ready to go in 5 minutes.

500 pound capacity deer cart, usually on sale.

http://www.amazon.com/Hauler-Utility-Hunting-Accessories-Straps/dp/B00HUAP7N8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1421625172&sr=8-7&keywords=deer+cart

Mounts for the left and right

http://www.amazon.com/Kolpin-21535-Rhino-X-Large-Grip/dp/B003UYYGTO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1421625314&sr=8-7&keywords=gun+mount

Bin. Mine wasn't exactly this one but similar. Just get your measurements once it is together.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-1619-00-Quart-Black-24X15X13-Inch/dp/B007TOJ9DY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421625388&sr=8-4&keywords=lockable+bin

Time to break out the reciprocating saw!

A friend of mine saw this on craigslist and forwarded me the link. I bought it this morning. It is in good shape, it rolls so easy. I also had another friend of mine recommend getting one with the swivel front wheel, I see the benefit in that also. The basket underneath has some wear you can see, from something heavy being placed in it and dragging the ground. Overall I'm ecstatic! After shooting a 3Gun match this weekend carrying all that gear, I see why something like this is a necessity.

Things to get:

Gun Grips

some sort of run flat or tire thorn proofing

probably an umbrella holder

some sort of strap to mount a chair

image_zps6171d8ef.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well the winter is wearing on, so I posted an ad on a local Facebook Marketplace for a big wheel stroller on the cheap. I had a lady offer hers up, she dragged it out of a snowpile and left it by the road for me. Free. Leaves no extra charge. Forgive the mess in the garage...

9451B3C8-2AEE-4485-A16B-DE94FE4E52A1_zps

I stripped off the seat etc and the unit looks pretty sturdy.

3543ADAC-F6E6-43A3-AC99-CCF546992559_zps

I started to mock up the final evolution with cardboard and wood scraps. Here is it with everything temporarily installed. I am still thinking how to do the upper shelf. The Range bag seems to fit better up there, a milk crate or container of some sort may work on the bottom.

AE2BC3BA-4B6F-4CA4-B73D-A495EFD7218A_zps

I am trying to make it so it will still fold with a few items removed.

D1FCB044-2802-4765-AB56-640D0138DDB3_zps

So far nothing invested. I have a pair of gun mounts and need a second, that may be the only high dollar item (well $30 anyway).

I tried another variation but don't like the range bag on the bottom. I will probably cut that box to size and put that on the bottom. Mounted the gun rack on one side and it still folds with it attached.

C5C519B3-3C48-4ED9-9A12-0C06E0674F0C_zps

Edited by dogtired

Well I could not edit my other post so here are my final pics... Still waiting on a gun rack but you get the idea.

Folded:

E46F6F2B-2A59-4444-B4A4-8ECBB8755EE8_zps

Naked:

AF1509C9-B0EB-47C2-B0A6-4ABF15D5BE12_zps

Stuffed: I am still unsure what to carry on the bottom shelf but bungies will keep everything attached.

77E54A84-3B6B-417A-9BB7-DE367B5D60FC_zps

A friend of mine saw this on craigslist and forwarded me the link. I bought it this morning. It is in good shape, it rolls so easy. I also had another friend of mine recommend getting one with the swivel front wheel, I see the benefit in that also. The basket underneath has some wear you can see, from something heavy being placed in it and dragging the ground. Overall I'm ecstatic! After shooting a 3Gun match this weekend carrying all that gear, I see why something like this is a necessity.

Things to get:

Gun Grips

image_zps6171d8ef.jpg

I just grabbed this same one. It's sitting in my basement now. Post some photos when you are complete!

Things to get:

Gun Grips

image_zps6171d8ef.jpg

I just grabbed this same one. It's sitting in my basement now. Post some photos when you are complete!

Good timing. I just received my gun grips from Amazon this week and installed them this afternoon. My 3gun shotgun is in the shop having some work done to it, I stuck my 870 on here for the photo.

image_zps497d06a2.jpg