Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnesium

CSEMARTIN

I swear I'm not crazy! I came up with an idea today. In chemistry class years ago, I remember that magnesium burns really bright. Has anyone ever tried adding just a little to their gun powder to create a really neat fireball- just for kicks.

Chris

Titanium shavings burn hot also.....

Maybe a little piece of sponge soaked in gasoline would be a better idea? :ph34r:

OK, Just for fun (and due to boredom) lets run down the fire classification list:

-Class A, wood, paper, cloth, humans (screaming Alpha)

-Class B, Flammable liquids (jet fuel, lighter fluid, oil)

-Class C, Electrical fire

-Class D, burning metals (Mag, Ti)

Quiz:

Which of these methods of extinguishment should be used on the above listed fire classes? What are the dangers of using the wrong method?

1) Dry Chemical

2) CO2

3) Halon (disperses O2)

4) Water

5) Aqueous Film Forming Foam

*Bonus Question*

Describe in detail the "Fire Triangle". Is there really a 4th element of the fire triangle?

~..yaaaawn...~ :D

I got a little story for you.

I do Tool and Die work. We use Magnesieum saftey blocks in the presses when we have to work in a press. One of the guys was cutting some new blocks to length one day, and wanted to play a prank on me. He took a handful of shavings from the saw and came over to where I was at in the weld booth heating up a detail to weld. We used a rosebud tip on a propane torch to preheat the steel, since we didn`t have an oven.. Well..I`m sitting there holding the torch when all of a sudden there is a huge white flash and an explosion. He threw the shavings into the open flame from my torch. Luckily I had on a welding jacket and my gloves already or I would been seriously burned. They seen the flash from the enclosed booth all the way across the shop and everyone up in the office heard the boom.

The moral of this story... not in my gun.

CS#158

Or a 2" 357 snubbie with a full power 125 grain load. Better yet, a 2" 357 with the following handload: 110 gr. JHP, 16 grains of Blue Dot, Magnum primer. 12" by 36" flame, no kidding.

But seriously, ammo makers add stuff to the powder to reduce flash. Anyone knows what that is?

A shortie 357 with a max load of H110 under a 125 gr. bullet is almost as bright as XM193 out of a 20" AR. Not quite, but almost.

I second the idea that magnesiun in powder may be a bad thing.

At something like 1500 degrees F. that could ruin a barrel quick.

Not to mention that the burn rate of the powder would probably change exponentially.

Travis F.

Speaking of magnesium, anybody got a clue as to the alloy in the Hornady Vector ammo ? That stuff was great !

I think it was Jeff Foxworthy who used this is a joke:

Q: What are a redneck's last words?

A: "Hey! Ya'll watch this!"

Heck, let's try a little cobalt and get a blue flame, sulphur for yellow, copper for green, iron for red...

As a prank we used to put magnesium strips on our friend's cigarette. In the end, it did not ignite but stuck out of the burning tip like a twig on the ground.

Then we tried plastic straw which worked but it smelled funny. Our buddy did not notice it but at one point he said, "do you guys smell burning plastic?"

We said of course not : )