Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manual Stump Removal

Kyle O

Digging around the edges, then chopping, chopping, chopping, chopping, then prying some, then chopping, then, scraping the dirt away, then chopping, chopping, chopping, then when there is absolutely no hope of progress, you cuss some then chop some more, then you pry, and pry, and pry, then chop, then......well, I freakin hate it.

And, I've got maybe 100 or more to go. Just removed 10 since 9am, man it sucks. :angry2:

Dig a little hole under the stump, insert a quarter stick of 40%, light fuse, take cover. :devil:

For a thrill use bigger sticks and see how high you can launch the stump. :sight:

Done right the stump will not go very high and with those stumps with big roots the stump will still require some chopping. But you'll probably need a permit and a licensed person.

Other choice is to rent a stump grinder or hire it done.

I had a 12-15" diameter oak that had to be taken out - it was right next to the house.. so we had a tree service remove it

anyways.. the stump grinder took less than 10 minutes to put it far enough under to plant grass. Check see how much they cost to rent. (if you have the access)

• 9 years later...
On 10/27/2010 at 10:37 PM, D.Hayden said:

I had a 12-15" diameter oak that had to be taken out - it was right next to the house.. so we had a tree service remove it

anyways.. the stump grinder took less than 10 minutes to put it far enough under to plant grass. Check see how much they cost to rent. (if you have the access)

You have your own stump grinder or you have get it on rent from tree removal experts.

There are youtubes on how to burn them out but it's slow. It involves drilling deep holes, flammables, and usually a full day or two until they turn to ash. You sort of have to keep watch so the fires don't get out of hand.

Around here at least, there are stump grinding crews that grind them pretty cheap. I had three 8-10” stumps ground out for $125. No way I’m screwing with DIY stump removal when it’s that cheap.

This Hate rant has turned into a discussion, which is beyond the bounds of the rules for the Hate Forum. Thus, it must be closed.Please review the Hate Forum Rules:http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8097[note: this is a generic response]