Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

15 round magazines in Production

badchad

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Production is so popular that it doesn't really need changing, but it is interesting that IPSC is beating us on rounds per magazine. You'd typically thing of non-USA countries as being more restrictive, yet we are still acting like the AWB is around.

having just shot us ipsc nationals i didn't find having 15 rounds in production made the shooting any easier or more enjoyable.

though it is an unpopular opinion, i could get behind having a unified rule set, either theirs, ours or an amalgam. i don't care.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

having just shot us ipsc nationals i didn't find having 15 rounds in production made the shooting any easier or more enjoyable.

though it is an unpopular opinion, i could get behind having a unified rule set, either theirs, ours or an amalgam. i don't care.

I recently started shooting Limited minor with my Production rig.  I'm noticing quite a big difference in stage planning on at least half of the stages I shoot around here.  The biggest difference is on 20-28 round courses.  

I'm also able to shoot out of position more when shooting positions are only a couple steps away from each other.  In other words, with 10 rounds, it wouldn't do any good to shoot out of a position as you'd just be doing a standing reload at the next position.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Did you find that it took an adjustment period? Just curious if you felt less prepared than those shooting IPSC exclusively.

i didn't say i didn't like it, but just that it didn't make shooting for me, "funner". i know people who tuned up for this match by shooting their Prod rig in locals as limited minor. I didn't, maybe I should have. what makes things funner/better for each person is pretty subjective.

ipsc stages are designed differently than uspsa stages, so stage planning wasn't really changed. the match was definitely not esy to make into positions/arrays of 8 like sooo much of local uspsa stuff is, so having 16 in the gun at the start was no big deal. shooting classic targets all day wasn't really an issue either, it kind of slipped from my mind as it  was all you saw, all day.

the adjustment period was more important when i got off plan. in uspsa with 10 rounds i instantly reload when i get off plan. at the ipsc nats i had it in my mind that i "have lots more" in the gun so i didn't do a reload. this lead to a chain reaction effect of having a standing slide lock reload in a spot i should have been reloading and moving. so i didn't need an adjustment when things were going good, but definitely wasn't ready when things went wrong.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

i didn't say i didn't like it, but just that it didn't make shooting for me, "funner". i know people who tuned up for this match by shooting their Prod rig in locals as limited minor. I didn't, maybe I should have. what makes things funner/better for each person is pretty subjective.

ipsc stages are designed differently than uspsa stages, so stage planning wasn't really changed. the match was definitely not esy to make into positions/arrays of 8 like sooo much of local uspsa stuff is, so having 16 in the gun at the start was no big deal. shooting classic targets all day wasn't really an issue either, it kind of slipped from my mind as it  was all you saw, all day.

the adjustment period was more important when i got off plan. in uspsa with 10 rounds i instantly reload when i get off plan. at the ipsc nats i had it in my mind that i "have lots more" in the gun so i didn't do a reload. this lead to a chain reaction effect of having a standing slide lock reload in a spot i should have been reloading and moving. so i didn't need an adjustment when things were going good, but definitely wasn't ready when things went wrong.

Can you start with 16 in the gun? I'm almost positive that's a bump to open in IPSC. That's what I heard anyway.

6 hours ago, MicahW said:

Can you start with 16 in the gun? I'm almost positive that's a bump to open in IPSC. That's what I heard anyway.

Appendix D4:

16.2 Magazines accessible to a competitor during a COF must not contain more than 15 rounds at the Start Signal. Identifying marks or decals, internal capacity limiters, bumper pad

15 in mag, one in chamber at start. Similar to how uspsa production is 10 in mag plus 1 in chamber.

The only place this was nice was all of the short courses where no reload was needed. Most stages I never carried more than three mags on my belt and often just two. Felt way different than the 4-5 mags I usually carry in uspsa.

I guess it doesn't really matter anyways, there are not ipsc matches near me so uspsa it is. And I doubt there will ever be one rule set everyone follows so no use thinking about that either. Short story, I'm fine with 10 rounds in Prod and my single experience shooting 15 rounds in ipsc Prod didn't change my mind.

• 4 weeks later...