Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar15 Gas Tube Hole Up Or Down?

ErikW

When my upper came back as a single-shot (no gas reaching the carrier) I figured something was wrong with the gas tube. With my new gas tube arriving yesterday, I just drifted out the roll pin and moved the gas block forward. The hole in the tube is facing up. Is that right? It doesn't seem like there can be a gas tunnel at the top of the DPMS gas block, it's just thin aluminum there.

BULL-02.jpg

DPMS gas block. Note hole for gas tube.

The Marine Corps M16A2 manual is no help. I guess stock M16-type guns have a step in the tube so assembly is obvious. My replacement DPMS tube has no such step. (I have a custom upper with an Armalite floating handguard I can't remove, so I can't really tell if the tube in the gun right now has a step.)

Help me out here: hole facing up to the heavens or hole facing down to the barrel?

Edit: Looking as the gas block, the hole in the tube can't possibly face up. It should face down to the gas hole in the barrel.

Edited by Erik Warren

Well it was a bitch to get out. I had to get it out because it wouldn't rotate. It was a regular step-down tube, in upside down. Don't ask me how that's possible, but there's a nasty kink in it. There's a nice carbon circle on the other side where the hole should have been pointing.

The receiver and barrel nut don't seem to be indexed right. You can see a straight edge (the receiver) blocking the circular hole. The new gas tube only goes in a ways and then hangs up hard. You can see it about a third to a half an inch from where it comes out the receiver to the charging handle. I am SOL now; the thing has to come apart and be re-indexed.

Put all your parts in a box, head down to Burlingame and see Frank Tabor. He has the tools and the talent to fix you up. He has done AR work for me while I waited (no shjt). Don't tell him I sic'd you on him or he might charge you extra :-)

--

Regards,

When my upper came back as a single-shot (no gas reaching the carrier) I figured something was wrong with the gas tube. With my new gas tube arriving yesterday, I just drifted out the roll pin and moved the gas block forward. The hole in the tube is facing up. Is that right? It doesn't seem like there can be a gas tunnel at the top of the DPMS gas block, it's just thin aluminum there.

Just curious how it got there in the first place? From DPMS?

I'm terribly confused.

But you already knew that.

The barrel hole faces up.

The gas block hole mates with it.

Are you having problems getting the tube thru the barrel nut due to indexing problems ?

Travis F.