Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Guitar

Seth

I don't believe I've played so much guitar since I was 19!

I've been playing guitar on and off for about 27 years. I go through phases, but haven't played seriously in a while. When I got married about 10 years ago, my wife bought me a Tacoma DM18 as a wedding present and it remains the sole guitar I still own after dozens. Wonderful sound, great playbility and the only one that survived.

The Tacoma Guitar company was, back in the early 2000s quite the value. 100% hardwood (no laminates), American made in the pacific northwest and spectacular tone -- particularly for the reasonable price tag. They were managed poorly, however, and eventually got sold to Fender... who eventually took the PNW manufacturing facility and moved it to CT. Better than china... but still not the original.

Last week I found my new toy. A New, Old Stock Jumbo Tacoma. AAA Sitka Spruce Solid Top, Honduras Mahogany sides and back. Not a lick of flash... no inlays, no fancy bindings.

The sound is phenomenal....

taco.jpg

taco2.jpg

taco3.jpg

Hello: That looks great and I bet it does sound great :cheers: I have an old Taylor Big Baby that I need to learn to play. I am a "D" guitar player at best. I should really take lessons. I also have a Fender Telecaster and Fender Strat both from the early 80's. It is fun to play them but like you my fingers would be very sore after not playing for 5 or 6 years. Maybe I should get my sons a Taylor Baby so I could learn with them. Thanks, Eric

hey,nice guitar. what kind of music you're into??

if you're in prog-rock music,we need to replace our guitar player too busy he is with his growing family....lol.

YES,KING CRIMSON,RUSH,DREAM THEATRE,TOOL,ELP,GENTLE GIANT,LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT are the bands we cover.

seriously, nice guitar, the sound must be amazing.

I would have been all over that when I was a little younger. My chops are shit and I have zero equipment anymore.

These days its pickin' and a grinin'.

I play all day yesterday and my fingers hurt like hell today. Gotta love it! She's an interesting instrument. Very delicate played softly or with a light pick, but has a BIG BOOMING voice if you hammer it.

I'm pretty pleased.

Congrats on another Tacoma. I played a few years ago and was very impressed.

I do not play as much as I should but I have a Takamine gs330 that sounds and plays better than most acoustics costing 3-4 times as much. Awesome sound and playability and because it is a cedar top it has a nice break up when I dig in with a pick (break up in a good way).

FYI for those that aren't too familiar. Cedar top is generally better for fingerpicking and spruce is better for using a pick (plectrum). It has to do with the harminic properties of the wood.

I played 5 of the same model in the store. Only one sounded really good. The others were good, don't get me wrong but 1 really stood out so I bought it. My dream guitar is a nice gibson songbird deluxe. I will treat myself to one some day. I only played it once but the one I played looked, felt, played and sounded better than I thought it would, or any guitar would.

In my worthless opinion, guitars are like women. Some you will love, some you'll lust over, lots you'll try and have no reaction to at all, but most you will admire from afar but never touch and a few will make you want to throw up in your mouth!

In my worthless opinion, guitars are like women. Some you will love, some you'll lust over, lots you'll try and have no reaction to at all, but most you will admire from afar but never touch and a few will make you want to throw up in your mouth!

Wow, that hits the nail on the head!