Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Surface...

Ron Ankeny

I have always shot a fairly narrow, smooth trigger. However, on another forum I was reading a post (and an article from Guns and Ammo) that says Jerry Miculek uses a serrated trigger. I have also been told that the serrated trigger is making a huge come back. Is this just Internet disinformation or am I out of touch?

Not that it really matters, but do any of you know of any M class or above (including Jerry M.) revolver shooters who use a serrated trigger? If so, is there some advantage to it that I am missing?

Flex:

Thanks man. I am just tying to get current. I was really suprised to learn (if it's true) that Jerry uses a serrated trigger and to also learn the trend is back towards serrated triggers. There are precious few revolver shooters in my neck of the woods so I have no way of knowing if it's true. I am just curious (you know how it goes when something runs contrary to what you believe) if any top shooters are utilizing a serrated trigger. It really doesn't matter that much, but enquiring minds want to know.

Ron, have you seen the "Ultimate Revolver" video, by Magill? Jerry explains why he uses a serrated trigger. Basically it comes down to this:

He strokes the trigger with the pad of his finger (top). Reason for doing this is that you can make a smaller movement with the finger to complete the stroke. To keep the pad of his finger in place, he uses a serrated trigger. With a smooth trigger his finger would be "all over the place" as he puts it.

I moved from a very narrow smooth trigger to a wide serrated one (been shooting it for about 9 months now). It does give me the feeling of more control. It keeps my finger in place. My splits are a little less slow with the serrated trigger (have not been below .20, though :() But I think it all boils down to personal preference (as always).

I have smooth triggers on all my guns. But I am not going to go to the expense to change. I also have the video where Jerry says he uses serrated triggers. He also has a gold bead front sight with a white outline rear. He casually snaps the trigger on a 625 while he says it has a 6 or 7 pound trigger. :D I just had a thought: What if it IS equipment instead of skill???? :lol:

Bill Nesbitt

I ran a serrated trigger on my 38 super 8-shot, up till I shoot the 2002 area 2 championship. I uses 115 gr bullets and they cronied 1600 fps, thats 184pf. this load chewed my finger up, so I switched back to a narrow smooth trigger and wrapped it with a piece of chamy (used for drying you cars. arn't I a great speller)

Well, I think most Master class revolver shooters can shoot my gun as good as their own just from the skill level. I had the chance to dry fire Mr Miculek's 625 and no doubt about it it is smooth and light. Trigger is standard width serrated.

I use a serrated trigger for a different reason. I have very little feeling in my finger tips and need it. I use a .350 serrated and have for a long time. They are getting harder to come by so when I see them I buy them. They can be fit to MIM equipped guns with no problems.

If any of you are shooting S&W Next week, Jerry will be shooting Saturday.

Regards,

A serrated trigger certainly works for Jerry Miculek, shooting IPSC.

But I think I've seen more smooth surfaced triggers on revolvers customized for PPC shooting, then serrated triggers. Perhaps it depends on the game the revolver is being used in, which trigger works best.

I prefer smooth triggers, for shooting PPC, and occasional IPSC matches (C class ranking, so don't consider this an expert's reccomendation :mellow:

Like I said, no big deal, I just found it odd that Jerry used a wide target style trigger with serrations. Now I hear he uses a standard serrated trigger.

Bill, we both know it ain't the gear. I was just curious. Good grief, Sevigny shoots a freaking Glock and that proves a talented shooter can rock with a boat anchor. :D

I splurged and picked up a cherry model 15 Smith. I am sending it in for an action job and for a fleeting moment I thought about leaving the serrations on the surface just to see if there was merit to having a non-slip surface.

Ron,

I'm not an expert wheelgunner, but serrated triggers on DA actions make me cringe. I think a lot to do with Jerry's preference for a serrated trigger is that he is one strong dude. I don't think many people can really run a revo well with the pad of their finger. If you can, I think that's awesome. I'm too much of a wimp. I need leverage.