Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hottest You Can Go On A 40 Using Vvn320

Jasonub

What is the maximum load in grains that one has put in his 40 using 180 grain heads?

I ask since i am using N320 for my competition loads and would like to test some jhp's through some mediums using the same powder.

I would like to know your experiences without blowing up my gun. I have one at 5.5 grains without pressure signs on a 1.210 oal 40 jhp.

can you please add more data.

Thanks

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I think those that are going for more velocity often use slower burning powders. This lets them get the velocity up some, without as much pressure.

Are you going for a hunting load? Defense? Just want some heat with your current powder?

You've probably just about reached it at that length. That's probably over 1,000 fps (180 power factor) and pressure signs are right around the corner, maybe there already. In addition to flattened primers, bulged brass that doesn't resize as easily is a sign.

yes i want to use it to shoot water gallons or coke bottles. I want a fantastic explosion to capture in tape.

Did you guys try anything higher than 5.5 grains? I dont want to buy new powder for a few rounds of fun :P