Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why/when The Difference?

AikiDale

Being too new to IPSC/USPSA shooting to know first hand our history, and being painfully aware of how those ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it, I would like to know why and when USPSA became so different from IPSC. Were they not one and the same at one time? How did Standard become Limited? Was there a political fight (say it ain't so Joe!). If there were ill feelings among petty warlords are they still around (no offense). Did we leave them or did they leave us?

Honest historians please.....I been 'round too long to have sides.

Aikidale,

I've given this matter considerable thought and have decided not to answer your questions, and I hope you'll forgive me.

The reason is that there was indeed some "bad blood" in the past, but I know that no matter how hard I try to offer a balanced view of history, it's likely that my perspective as a member of the IPSC Executive Council will be biased towards IPSC, and I certainly don't want to open old wounds and/or initiate a political thread.

As Kath has already said, the incumbent IPSC and USPSA administrations have worked very hard over the past few years to resolve the differences we both inherited from our predecessors, and I have every confidence that the mutual goodwill which currently exists will continue to further narrow the dramatically shrunken gap.

At the end of the day, there are far more things which unite us than separate us, and our focus now should be on dealing with more important challenges of mutual interest.