Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dirty Fiber Optic Sight

tightloop

Started shooting my STI .40 the other day and when I got home noticed that after only 150 rounds of factory ammo the front sight was very dirty. Much more so than with my .45 Commander shooting dirty 231 and lead bullets.

Whats up with that and should I replace it after each practice. I don't replace my other one after each practice, probably after 1200 or so rounds. The .40 shoots cleaner inside the gun but the front sight is filthy...any ideas?

I used to carry alcohol wipes with me to wipe my optic off at the match. Then I realized that it didn't matter.

I think during a match or extended shooting we tend to start shooting 'front site' no matter what the front site configuration is. In reality it shouldn't matter if the site glows or is just a post. We should see it the same.

Long way to say I don't worry that my optic gets dirty during a match.

Technically I have no clue...

TL,

That fiber optic is pretty good stuff, as long as you don't put solvent like acetone or MEK on it, it should stay bright until it breaks. An old toothbrush and some alcohol should be all you need to clean 'er back up to close to new. Keeping one as bright as the day you put it in probably isn't a realistic goal. I think all you can really hope for is a happy medium at best and maybe keep a small rag to clean it with prior to shooting a stage.

tl,

usually, when I notice my fiber getting sooty, I just reach up and give a quick wipe with my finger on the front and back ends of the fiber. Cleans up well enough to take my mind off of it. And be careful not to sweep your hand while you do it, some RO's watch closer than others :D

fwiw

dj

I've tried cleaning with both Meguire's plastic polish and - I think it's called Plexus. Neither one seemed to work very well. As the combination of Hoppes #9 and Gunscrubber really trashes the FO, I change mine every time I clean the gun - 500 or so rounds.

In general, I find the FO variable (well at least indoors, where I'm doing all my shooting now). Sometimes it's too bright, because of where I am in relation to lights, sometimes it's just right, sometimes it's pretty dim - from where I am in relation to lights, and from getting dirty. I try not to let the overly bright times freak me out, and then I just live with the other times. It's a Dawson, so when it's dim, you still have a nice normal sight picture.

I'm with DJ, just a quick wipe with the finger. The Dawson Indoor Fo I have on my limited gun seems to stay a little cleaner than some of my others, and it is great for indoors. Last I talked to Dawson, they aren't making the Indoor anymore, but offered to make one up for me if I wanted it, for $70.00. OUCH! I am thinking about it, eventhough that is a lot of money, since I haven't found anything else I like nearly as well.

Started shooting my STI .40 the other day and when I got home noticed that after only 150 rounds of factory ammo the front sight was very dirty. Much more so than with my .45 Commander shooting dirty 231 and lead bullets.

Whats up with that and should I replace it after each practice. I don't replace my other one after each practice, probably after 1200 or so rounds. The .40 shoots cleaner inside the gun but the front sight is filthy...any ideas?

Looks like one more reason to stick with the .45.

[Halfbaked Theory of the Day]

Do you think the soot has anything to do with the extra pressure of the 40 versus the 45? Right as the bullet exits the bore - the blast is going to hit the base of the bullet and swirl around. The 45 has less than half the pressure, hence less swirling and less soot on your gun.

[/HBTOTD]

Eric,

That sounds logical (your theory on the additional pressure), however my .38 Supers don't experience any problems like that, sooooooooooooo I don't think that would be the reason for the problem.

I have a friend who swears by a touch of toothpaste on a Q-tip to polish up the fiber optic.................... but I haven't tried it. But that WOULD keep your blaster's breath fresh and clean for a more pleasant good-night kiss!!!! :P

Best,

Jeffro (Jeff)

TL,

I was messing with installing a new fiber in my sight today. I don't know what kind you have, but if it's the kind that has to be melted into a dome on both ends, there might be a better way. I'm messing with just melting the muzzle end, then securing the fiber in the opposite end via another mechanism (like super glue or deforming the fiber a tad and jamming it in) - leaving the cut end *inside* the sight so it can't get gook on it. I seem to get a much brighter dot when I'm looking a cut end of fiber than a melted end.

FWIW...

There is at least one sight on the market that is superglued in...EGW or Brazos maybe...I forget. The problem with that technique is that when you finally need/want to change it you have to drill the old fiber and superglue out. Fiber is so cheap I don't worry about it and replace mine frequently now.

I've got a Caspian also.

The best way I've found to getting FO installed is to use a butane torch (or lighter) to heat up a flathead screwdriver. I then take the part of the FO that I'll be looking at and just touch it to the screwdriver to get an ever so slight flaring (I like small dots on FO sights... it helps me find the sight, but I don't shoot the dot). From there, put the whole big length in from the back side and trim to the desired length. Heat up the trusty screwdriver and--while holding the FO in so there isn't too much slack--use the it to melt the end to keep it in place.