Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Economy of Motion...

In shooting CM99-49 Speed-E-Standards last weekend, I saw two different strategies do well on this classifier.  To save youall from having to look, it is as follows:

3X3 shooting box at 12ft from array; 6 IPSC targets in a straight line.  In one string: draw, engage each target with 1 shot freestyle, reload, enagage each target with 1 shot freestyle, reload, engage each target 1 shot weak-hand.

When deciding for myself which way to shoot the targets, I decided to start with the Left target and shoot L to R, reload, R to L, reload, L to R.  I figured less time and wasted motion if not turning back to the Left target to begin each string.  I saw several others do it the way I did and several others do it all L to R.  How would youall shoot this one?

Wayne

I shoot it left to right.  I bring my gun in for the reload and that motion carries over for me to index back to the left side of the target array after the reload. So I go L to R again.  Then on the weak-hand (left for me), I shoot L to R.

I have a slight cant on the gun when shooting one handed.  (I don't know if that is good or bad.)  The recoil pulse naturally carries me toward the next target going left to right.  I don't have to fight the gun.  If I was shooting strong-hand (right) I would go R to L.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 3:47 pm on July 9, 2001)

Wayne I just shot that classifier recently. I don't recall having to turn much. The stance and body index decribed by B.E. should handle that stage quite well. You might be using a less desirable stance that makes you twist around to point your gun at some of the targets.

I don't understand why people insist on shooting L to R before the reload then R to L after. Watch closely, or watch video in slow mo... the muzzle points to your weak side on the reload. If it's already point to the a particular, there's no sense in moving the gun to the other side.

If you shoot in one direction better than the other, shoot the same way before and after the reload. Oh yeah, one more thing. Your vision is a little restricted with your weak eye shut, so you won't be seeing as much of the target area on that side, which hurts acquisition as you go from strong side to weak side. That's another reason to shoot L to R for right-eyed right-handers.

I would shoot it as follows:  Since I am right handed I come out of the holster to the closest target, the one on the right, and therefore shoot R to L.   After reloading the gun is on the weak side so I go back across L to R, then reload again and go weakhand L to R for the same reason (the gun is on the weak side after reload).  I feel faster shooting L to R but after working with a timer a bit I realized the difference is insignificant for me anyway.   What do y'all think?  

I would shoot it L to R because it's simple/easy. There isn't any appreciable time to be made or lost by getting tricky. If I get too tricky, I might forget what I'm doing. :)

And I prefer shooting the weak hand L to R because it feels easier to move the gun that way in my left hand.

be

Hey Erik....

Where in the course description does it tell you to close your weak eye??? One of the reasons I shoot with both eyes open is to gain a little time when shooting right to left. I've had it explained to me that a right handed shooter can shoot faster R to L because their weak eye will pick up the target faster and the strong eye will maintain the sight picture. Not sure if this is true but it makes some sense.....

Was hoping to meet you at Ione for the steel match this last weekend.....pretty good turnout. Next month should be a good warm-up for the Challenge, 7 stages and time afterwards to practice.

I agree with making it simple and easy. I would shoot it L to R, reload and L to R, reload, and L to R. First, I don't see any advantage to changing the transition order and changing up. Second, when you mag change, the gun should be coming back to your body when your strong arm gets bent for the mag change, so you should be back at your starting point (ground zero), so it shouldn't make a difference time wise which way to go because you are starting from the beginning. You shouldn't be reloading with your arms extended out on target anyway. I don't think so, but should we Brian?

Lastly, since you are already in a rythym of target transitions from L to R, why change it. Just keep it the same and go with the rythym, let your mind be thinking of other things and focus on the things that are more important.

Kevin/IPSC Supercop

Thanks youall.  I shot it pretty well (for me) and everything felt good as I was shooting, just wanted to get yourall's take on the direction to shoot the strings.  I didn't have to turn much to get setup on all the targets either, I am just trying to think of ways to shave all the extra time I can without rushing my shooting/seeing.  

Thanks

Wayne

icer, oops, there I go assuming things. Good for you if you can shoot both eyes open. A lot of us can't and don't. :(

Detlef and Kevin are right on; you've just made one run a certain way and you've sort of got the muscle memory to shoot it the same way. A lot of the time when I load and make ready for a speed shoot, I'll stand there indexing the targets for a few dry runs.

Erik,

I was in the same boat as you with the eyes. I'm really F'ed cause I'm equal eye dominate instead of cross. When I took Todd's class he did the tape on the glasses. Now I walk around looking stupid but it works. The advantage is the other guys are laughing so I can sneak by on a couple stages! It takes some getting used too.

icer,

In my experience, I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever if you have one eye open or two during transitions. That is assuming that: When you are aimed at the target you are engaging, you can see the target you are going to in your aiming eyes peripheral vision. It's easy to test if this is your visual situation at the moment - if you are "two-eyed" shooter, just aim at a target, then close your non-shooting eye and notice if you can see the next target peripherally.

be

• 4 weeks later...

Some shooters may try to game this classifier, e.g.  3 shots far left target freestyle, then 3 on next one, reload, 3 on the third target from left freestyle, 3 on next one, then the two closest targets can be shot one handed 3 on each......this way you do alot less transitions, the less transitions...the faster you can let off the next shot......alot of time saved.

I'm with Flex, the Stage description of 99-49 Speed-E-Standards states: "Upon start signal, from Box A, engage T1-T6 with only one round per target, then make a mandatory reload and engage T1-T6 with only one round per target...."   Gaming as above will just give you a lot of penalties.

I seem to be in the minority here. When shooting the El Prez, for instance, I'll go left to right to start with, then right to left after the reload. It seems to me that as you flex your knees to move from target to target, when you finish up on the right-most target, you simply leave you're knees "frozen" into that position, so you've still got your index set up on the last target you shot, you can come back up on it easily and naturally after the reload. That's the theory, anway. It seems to work.

• 3 weeks later...