Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

Me too. Got a like-new 930 combo with a 28" VR and a 24" rifled slug barrel on Gunbroker for $375. Picking out the Nordic parts now. Promod, is Nordic making a Mossberg follower now, the teflon ones won't work on them I hear. They are supposed to be making one for Mossbergs soon. Just have to decide if I want the factory 24" VR or cut the 28" one down.

the nordic follower works in mine

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anybody run a 930 spx? seems like it would be a god place to start

Sure they do. But there are no chokes so you are somewhat limited at the farther targets.

You could spend the money and get the barrel threaded for chokes. Or, you could by a new barrel.

Or, you could buy a non SPX, get a mag tube, barrel, etc. and still be at or below the cost of a new SPX.

BTW, I have an SPX. I like it. But, in the end, you'd probably do just as well with a turkey model.

Take care,

Dave

I have the Nordic follower in my 930 turkey, speaking to the Nordic rep at the AR15 PRO/AM he said that because Mossberg used different followers in different 930s over time they could not positively say it would work in all 930s. He installed mine at the match and seemed to indicate that because mine had a factory steel follower the Nordic would work. I already had the Nordic tube installed.

David E.

I just got my October issue of American Rifleman (NRA) and it's got a GREAT BIG ARTICLE on shotgun for 3-gun. Author says gas shotguns don't work for 3-gun. Hmm.

I believe the author is on Team Benelli.

http://www.benelliusa.com/team_benelli/3-gun_pro_staff.php

That article is not from what I would consider a "skilled or knowledgeable" viewpoint, but a decent marketing attempt. FWIW, that article may have been "more" true 10 years ago. However, the 930, SLP and VersaMax were not even made then.

Anyone with a 930 ever have success filling a 10 round tube and getting the shell to come out of the mag tube to chamber by hand?

Not sure what you mean, but my 930 with a +5 (9 total) Nordic needs a very firm hand cycle to chamber a round.

It was this way with the stock tube also and at first I thought the gun had a problem but it loaded every time when shot just not when trying to chamber the first round by hand.

I think it has gotten easier with use.

David E.

it's just kinda lame...i know it feeds when shot, but hand cycling it will never work with a full tube...ever. tried nordic springs, cut to differing lengths, etc. just sucks.

I've got the 930 Waterfowl model with 28" VR bbl and the +7 Nordic tube (11 in tube +1 in chamber) and the shells will cycle by hand. It's not 100% reliable when hand cycling, but it hand cycles most of the time. With a full tube, the first shell out of the tube will ALWAYS chamber, it's the 2nd or 3rd that has the occasional failure when hand cycling.

Anyone with a 930 ever have success filling a 10 round tube and getting the shell to come out of the mag tube to chamber by hand?

Trying to understand this. Are you talking about loading the mag tube to capacity then cycling with the bolt repetitively until empty?

Exactly. Shells stay in the tube-period. Benny thinks it's too much spring. I cut mine all the way down to same length as the tube and the shells still stay in the tube.

Trying to understand this. Are you talking about loading the mag tube to capacity then cycling with the bolt repetitively until empty?

Exactly. Shells stay in the tube-period. Benny thinks it's too much spring. I cut mine all the way down to same length as the tube and the shells still stay in the tube.

I don't have one to look at. Is the consensus that there is too much pressure on the shell stop for it to function correctly?

I don't have one to look at. Is the consensus that there is too much pressure on the shell stop for it to function correctly?

Yeah. When the tube is full, you cannot get a shell to come out of the tube when you run the bolt. It always works when you fire the gun but not by hand.

I usually put one in the chamber, fill the tube, and run it :)

Take care,

Dave

Yeah. When the tube is full, you cannot get a shell to come out of the tube when you run the bolt. It always works when you fire the gun but not by hand.

Take care,

Dave

I have this same issue with mine. It was a little embarrassing the first couple of times I fumbled around for 30 seconds or so trying to get my "staged" shotgun ready at a local match. I have since been loading the number of shells I needed in the tube to stage it, then pulling the bolt back far enough to pop one in from my pocket when it's my turn. Maybe after it's got a couple thousand rounds through it I'll try again. This works for now though.

Otherwise my 930 has been very good to me. It really deserves someone who can shoot it better.

Take care,

Dave

When cycling the bolt by hand the shells in the tube are resting against the shell stop (with full spring pressure). When the gun is fired the shells in the tube will move slightly forward (due to inertia) and as a result relieve some of the pressure on the shell stop.

2nsnloh.jpg

-930 SPX (1st gen (shitty charging handle model)

-Nordic +3 (for a total of 1+8)

-Modified Follower

-ETA oversized safety

-ETA charging handle

-LPA rear (stock from the spx)

-Mossberg 24" non ported VR barrel we've all been hearing so much about.

my new 3 gun setup. Still working on tactical/home defense setup as mentioned above.

About the sights, I'm not sure I'm in love with the 2 red fibers in the back, 1 green fiber front.

I'm considering using the rear ghost ring with a bigger/taller front FO

The only other thing that this baby needs is a Benny Hill Trigger job, and some loading port work.

I'm not sure why you would go through the hassle of getting the 24" VR non-port barrel only to insist on using the ghost ring. I'm still debating whether to get the longer barrel for my 930 SPX as well. I'm not married to the ghost ring but I'm still not sure if I should make the investment. Still not shooting enough to figure if the ghost ring is that much of a hindrance.

One advantage to the VR setup is the low sight height on close shots which is what most shotgun shots consist of anyways.

I'm not sure why you would go through the hassle of getting the 24" VR non-port barrel only to insist on using the ghost ring. I'm still debating whether to get the longer barrel for my 930 SPX as well. I'm not married to the ghost ring but I'm still not sure if I should make the investment. Still not shooting enough to figure if the ghost ring is that much of a hindrance.

One advantage to the VR setup is the low sight height on close shots which is what most shotgun shots consist of anyways.

perhaps I'm doing it wrong (fundamentally), but I take closer up shots faster with the ghost ring. the vent rib does help for that.

The fiber optic setup which is two small ones rear and a single front seem better orientated for long range slug shots

Well, now I'm a little pissed.

I've been calling every week, once a week, since I placed my order for the 24" barrel on Sept 7th. Every time I've called they told me that the barrel is in the shipping processes and to be patient. Well I just received a call today saying that they were wrong the other times and that they actually don't have the barrel anymore and that they don't know when it will be produced again.