Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use a barrel clamp, as my own testing has proved it definitely changes POI, even if it is a small amount, and not just with slug, birdshot is affected too. I understand the argument about protecting it when dumping it in a barrel, but if you can manage without it I would (only my opinion).

HTH

Keith

Got the new spring from Mossberg and now it runs like a champ. Shot it this weekend and ran 4 boxes through it with no errors. That will put the round count up to 250 and no failures. This month's project will be to file the fore end down near the receiver to make it more sleek and improve reloads. Also need more work on reloading it.

Loving this gun

Flanigun,

I read somewhere that if you tighten the mag tube extension then back it off 1/8-1/4 turn before installing the barrel/tube clamp you get rid of POA/POI issues. Any thoughts on that?

Cajunautoxer,

I was thinking about a shorter Nordic tube... But what do I care if Its longer than the barrel, only takes a few seconds to wipe off. When I get an 18.5" "tactical" barrel I will get a different extension!

Flanigun,

I read somewhere that if you tighten the mag tube extension then back it off 1/8-1/4 turn before installing the barrel/tube clamp you get rid of POA/POI issues. Any thoughts on that?

Cajunautoxer,

I was thinking about a shorter Nordic tube... But what do I care if Its longer than the barrel, only takes a few seconds to wipe off. When I get an 18.5" "tactical" barrel I will get a different extension!

that came from the horse's mouth at nordic, and it does the trick! in my case, just a slight loosening is all you need. just make sure you loosen the extension from the nut, not the nut from the shotgun tube.

Edited by outerlimits

Hey guys and gurus! I got a 24" jm pro and have polished the shell stop, but I'm still having issues with not being able to hand cycle the bolt to chamber a round with a full mag and chamber clear. When I cycle the bolt some times it will lock back open as if there was no rounds in the mag tube,other times it wont lock back but the shell stop doesn't move to release the shell and some times it works fine. Anybody have any suggestions on what's going on and how I can cure my problem thanks in advance.

Hey guys and gurus! I got a 24" jm pro and have polished the shell stop, but I'm still having issues with not being able to hand cycle the bolt to chamber a round with a full mag and chamber clear. When I cycle the bolt some times it will lock back open as if there was no rounds in the mag tube,other times it wont lock back but the shell stop doesn't move to release the shell and some times it works fine. Anybody have any suggestions on what's going on and how I can cure my problem thanks in advance.

How many rounds thru the gun? Have you taken out the bolt / shell release and clean out the under side? I've read the JM uses a automotive flat type fuse that's bent to remove the small cotter pin, Here's a video of someone else taking his apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ClT6QWQ93U

Thank likestoshoot Yes i removed the shell stop/bolt release assy. To polish the shell stop edge.every thing is clean. The gun is fairly new maybe 100 rd through it.

I'm no 'smith but I'd blast away and see if things don't smooth out on there own. I never tried what you're doing at that round count but I did have mine react the same way when mine was dirty if I didn't slam the bolt back really HARD.

Maybe the bolt / receiver need to smooth out a little before it'll hand cycle.

• 7 months later...

Yes, Jim. Made by RCI (Roth Concept). You are more familiar with their Xrail. Anyway, Mark's (Mark Roth) company makes a replacement tube for the Mossberg and a number of other platforms.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Anyone notice this on the bottom of your gas tube?

IMG_20120817_213432.jpg

Check for a bur on the gas relief spring in the barrel. Both my 18" and 24" barrels scratched the crap out of the tube. I took a grinder to it and fixed the problem. If you want to have some real fun, take the spring out of the barrel! That's not really that much fun, but putting it back in is a blast!!!

Hmmm... tempted to send it to Mossberg.

This is caused by the spring assembly in the barrell not being centered perfectly. If the gun is hard to reassemble this is the likely cause. I used a large deep socket to center mine. I polished up the scratched and its fine. Assembly is now much easier.

Edited by Highsider989

• 5 weeks later...

I called Mossberg and left a message for now. Will try and get someone who has a pulse when I have time.

Good luck, this has been a big weakness at Mossberg, most of the phone-talkers don't know shite from apple butter, and a few appear to make up BS instead of saying, "IDK, but I will find out"

Anyone know if Edna is still in CS at Mossberg? She was there, then was gone, then back. She was awesome, is a member here, and Edna got stuff taken care of.

Hi ben! It has been a long time but no as you may know now I dont work with them anymore. But I do keep contact. I am currently living in Alaska!! I love it btw. Hope all is well! I miss maverick arms/mossberg :(

I called Mossberg and left a message for now. Will try and get someone who has a pulse when I have time.

Good luck, this has been a big weakness at Mossberg, most of the phone-talkers don't know shite from apple butter, and a few appear to make up BS instead of saying, "IDK, but I will find out"

Anyone know if Edna is still in CS at Mossberg? She was there, then was gone, then back. She was awesome, is a member here, and Edna got stuff taken care of.

Hi ben! It has been a long time but no as you may know now I dont work with them anymore. But I do keep contact. I am currently living in Alaska!! I love it btw. Hope all is well! I miss maverick arms/mossberg :(

Long time, Edna? Only 5-6 years or so....Holy Cow! I still run my 930 with the barrel you got me in 3gun matches, but my kids are now all in sports all the time and I don't make many matches. I also had to stop MDing USPSA matches for the same reason. Good to hear from you.

Hey, do you know anyone currently in CS at Mossberg who can take care of things? If you do, and can post a name, that could help out the benos.com crowd using 930s..

• 2 months later...

Yes haha ! I have 2 daughters now 22 month old and a 6 month old.. Ain't wasting time! Haha they grow so quick. Nice! I'm glad that barrel has been good to you! :) I called the other day and told me that everyone there is new. The only veteran there is Santa but unfortunately she only replies to emails. She does try her best to help the new ones but it has not been easy. Hopefully, they learn quick ! It can be a cool job but they really really need to like it and at least have some experience. People like that are very hard to find in Eagle Pass. Right now we are in moose and caribou season.. So far no luck :(

Long time, Edna? Only 5-6 years or so....Holy Cow! I still run my 930 with the barrel you got me in 3gun matches, but my kids are now all in sports all the time and I don't make many matches. I also had to stop MDing USPSA matches for the same reason. Good to hear from you.

Hey, do you know anyone currently in CS at Mossberg who can take care of things? If you do, and can post a name, that could help out the benos.com crowd using 930s..

Posted Today, 02:23 PM

Yes haha ! I have 2 daughters now 22 month old and a 6 month old.. Ain't wasting time! Haha they grow so quick. Nice! I'm glad that barrel has been good to you! :) I called the other day and told me that everyone there is new. The only veteran there is Santa but unfortunately she only replies to emails. She does try her best to help the new ones but it has not been easy. Hopefully, they learn quick ! It can be a cool job but they really really need to like it and at least have some experience. People like that are very hard to find in Eagle Pass. Right now we are in moose and caribou season.. So far no luck :(

• 1 month later...

Anyone notice this on the bottom of your gas tube?

IMG_20120817_213432.jpg

Check for a bur on the gas relief spring in the barrel. Both my 18" and 24" barrels scratched the crap out of the tube. I took a grinder to it and fixed the problem. If you want to have some real fun, take the spring out of the barrel! That's not really that much fun, but putting it back in is a blast!!!

Hmmm... tempted to send it to Mossberg.

This is caused by the spring assembly in the barrell not being centered perfectly. If the gun is hard to reassemble this is the likely cause. I used a large deep socket to center mine. I polished up the scratched and its fine. Assembly is now much easier.

Did recentering the spring work by itself? I have it at a machinist buddy's to have him smooth the ends of that spring. My mag tube looks very similar to yours. It went south at a local match and i had to run it as a bolt gun - a bolt gun that rquired A LOT of force to open. I should have just DQ'd myself.