Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M1 Feeding Problem

sslav

I've had my M1 with a Nortic extension for about 2 years now. Never had any problems with it. All of a sudden this weekend it stopped feeding the last round. The shell comes out of the magazine but does not go all the way back onto the shell carrier. Instead it sits all the way forward on the shell carrier just out of the magazine. Tried it at home with dummy rounds and it was doing it on the last two shells. Perhaps the force of recoil gives a bit of an assist so it works a bit better in live fire. In any case I took out the magazine spring and stretched it out a bit. Now the everything works fine. But I am worried about how permanent the "fix" is and how long it will be before I am back to having issues. I have a couple of matches coming up including Ft. Benning. I would like to have some confidence in my gear going there. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Should I cut the new spring to the same number of coils as the old one - given that it used to work. Or should I go longer - given that it stopped working? Is there consistency in Nordic's springs?

Two years is a long time for any spring especially if you actually used the gun.

Cut the new one so that it is as long as possible and still allows you to load 8 or 9 or whatever amount of shells your supposed to be able to load. 15" past the end of the mag tube is a good rule of thumb but longer means more reliability and harder loading. You can go down as far 10" but reliability and longevity go down with every inch you cut.

Edited by jtischauser

I just had a similar problem with my 930.... was using the original spring that came with the Choate extention. Ordered 3 45 inch long springs from Wolff, cut it about 10 inches longer than needed and shoved it in. Shot skeet with my shotgun this weekend and never had problem one out of it, other than dad calling it my machine gun. Used the spring that came with the Choate tube cut down to replace the spring that was in the Ithaca since it was about rusted thru.

I just had a similar problem with my 930.... was using the original spring that came with the Choate extention. Ordered 3 45 inch long springs from Wolff, cut it about 10 inches longer than needed and shoved it in. Shot skeet with my shotgun this weekend and never had problem one out of it, other than dad calling it my machine gun. Used the spring that came with the Choate tube cut down to replace the spring that was in the Ithaca since it was about rusted thru.

Is 45" spring really needed? At 10" or even 15" longer than the magazine, wouldn't a 40" be sufficient?

Feel free to cut them what ever length you want :)

For our springs we say 10 to 16 inches longer than the entire assembly. And that seems to be a good number.

If you cut them to short......you can't add it back on to easy.

Tim

Slav, thats the length that Wolff sells em is 45 inches. I think the springs were 6 dollars and change, 3 of them were under 20 bucks then shipping. It didnt make any sense to just order one and pay the same amount of shipping. Other than the 45 inch spring I think everything else is stock length that Wolff sells. I think I am running around 30 inches total length ... was hoping that I might get 2 out of a spring but after I measured I was only gonna get one per.