Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Travis Tomasie Reload Video

Gun Geek

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

caspian38

Travis's reload is not that good because he has a lot of rounds he can practice with. It is good because he put the time in dry fire. Money is not a requirement to get a pristine reload.

I agree ... to a point ... at some point rounds down range are VERY IMPORTANT! My Dry reloads are under a second but my match reloads are still 1.10...I do two hours 5 days a week of dry Fire and I will MAKE GM REGARDLESS OF MONEY! I can see my progress being hampered by one BIG thing right now and that is bullets down range!

dry fire is great but I think to really start progressing you have to SHOOT...

I can't even imagine what getting to practice 100 live reloads a week would do for my shooting!

Please don't take my statement as belittling anyone. I realize that T.T. (I'm not on a first name basses and can't spell his last name) has Put in the time and effort to be a world class competitor!

TL,

No, Travis is definetely the man. I'm saying it isn't live fire that got him good at reloading. It is hours and hours of dry fire.

caspian38,

You can choose whether you want to believe me or not, but last year I maybe fired 2000 rounds in practice. The rest was either matches or dry fire.

100 live reloads a week will help......10,000 dry reloads a week will help infinetely more. I know Travis pretty well personally, we have talked about this subject pretty extensively.

Do 10,000 dry reloads a week for 2 months and you will have a reload close to those of anyone you have seen. (Assuming you have the proper form of course).

Do 10,000 dry reloads a week for 2 months and you will have a reload close to those of anyone you have seen. (Assuming you have the proper form of course).

Not to mention that you'll have some studly shoulders and arms :) That is, if you don't make your hands fall off in the process :)

You can choose whether you want to believe me or not, but last year I maybe fired 2000 rounds in practice. The rest was either matches or dry fire.

100 live reloads a week will help......10,000 dry reloads a week will help infinetely more. I know Travis pretty well personally, we have talked about this subject pretty extensively.

I believe you I just can't seem to get it to happen for myself ...I have done the reloads (well not 10,000 per week ) but enough that my DRY speed is pretty much up to par ... but I can't seem to get it to work live. All I can figure is that in order to get a FAST reload in a match I need to fire rounds in practice and learn to start my reload the instant I call my shot.

ok your right i will quit winning and just do it faster live. I do about 500 a week dry and mentally I don't think i could handle 10,000 ! I would HATE RELOADING ... where as I still enjoy it ! I might be able to push it to 1000 without burnout ... 200 a session.

I'll let you know if your are right in about 4 months... and I'll keep watching T.T. reload till it looks possible :D

c38

mentally I don't think i could handle 10,000 ! I would HATE RELOADING ... where as I still enjoy it ! I might be able to push it to 1000 without burnout ... 200 a session.

Here's the thing about high achievers. They learn to relish working on the stuff they hate. They also view everything they do in practice - refinement, conditioning, etc - as already being part of winning the next match. That dry reload you just did - you're already doing that reload in the match you're planning on winning. The match doesn't start on game day - it starts today, and everything you do now is part of your performance then....

That makes it a lot easier to fathom doing that many reloads... :) Right now, I'm a bit frustrated cause I can't physically do that many reloads, due to some RSI stuff I'm experiencing. I'm slowly working through them, though, and building back up... ;)

mentally I don't think i could handle 10,000 ! I would HATE RELOADING ... where as I still enjoy it ! I might be able to push it to 1000 without burnout ... 200 a session.

Here's the thing about high achievers. They learn to relish working on the stuff they hate. They also view everything they do in practice - refinement, conditioning, etc - as already being part of winning the next match. That dry reload you just did - you're already doing that reload in the match you're planning on winning. The match doesn't start on game day - it starts today, and everything you do now is part of your performance then....

That makes it a lot easier to fathom doing that many reloads... :) Right now, I'm a bit frustrated cause I can't physically do that many reloads, due to some RSI stuff I'm experiencing. I'm slowly working through them, though, and building back up... ;)

Burnout is a bigger threat to me than not shaving 3/10ths of a second off my reload... I could do 10,000 reloads a week but i would have to start dealing with other issues that would arise.By keeping at a MENTAL pace I personally can maintain I WILL get rid of the 3/10ths and still have that feeling all week of not being able to wait for the next match!

I'll let you know if your are right in about 4 months... and I'll keep watching T.T. reload till it looks possible :D

c38

ummmm how can you let him know if his idea worked if your not planning to use it?

I'M GOING TO DO THE 80,000 RELOADS but its going to take me 4 months instead of 2.

XRe awesome post and very true, not everyone has the patience to do that.

Caspian38, the idea wasn't 80,000 reloads it was 10,000 each weak for 2 months.. time has a definite factor here. i have studied martial arts for years. you can tell huge differences in the people that do 200 punches/per night for a month and htose who do 50 for a year. It has to be how your brain places things into memory. you can't pick the part you like and do it to then give accurate testimony about results. it's like drinking a 12 pack a day in place of a case.... it just won't get you to the same place.

I right now am on day 3. i am doing reloads for over an hour a day.... just reloads and mostly in slow motion a few fast (as per jakes advise) it's amazing how much shooters can motivate each other.... and how losing can motivate one accustomed to winning.

XRe awesome post and very true, not everyone has the patience to do that.

Caspian38, the idea wasn't 80,000 reloads it was 10,000 each weak for 2 months.. time has a definite factor here. i have studied martial arts for years. you can tell huge differences in the people that do 200 punches/per night for a month and htose who do 50 for a year. It has to be how your brain places things into memory. you can't pick the part you like and do it to then give accurate testimony about results. it's like drinking a 12 pack a day in place of a case.... it just won't get you to the same place.

I right now am on day 3. i am doing reloads for over an hour a day.... just reloads and mostly in slow motion a few fast (as per jakes advise) it's amazing how much shooters can motivate each other.... and how losing can motivate one accustomed to winning.

7 days a week 1429 reloads a day at approximately 5 sec a reload (set up and pick up) = 2 hrs straight of reloads a day ...not to knock mr.Di Vita's advice since I think the theory is great ! but for me it is an unreasonable amount of time spent focusing on reloads it would CAUSE ME TO BURN OUT ! part of winning is knowing when to push and when not to. after a few hundred a night 5 days a week It would be self destructive for me ... a lot of great athletes burn out before they ever reach the top!

this is probably just tackling fuel for you ... and I'm not saying you can't do it ... or even that YOU shouldn't ...just that I shouldn't !

in fact i think you can do it ...I would love to see a video progress journal ... I've been using a one to keep my form from degrading but mostly to keep myself motivated.

time is a relative thing ... 1500 reloads a day or 200 a day...when dose it turn into a question of diminishing returns?

I'll post my progress in the video training forums on the 20 of march.

An hour a day of reloads is a LOT. When I do that many, I break it up into 10 minute groups. Practice doesn't mean much if you can't make sure the form is correct, you or too tired, and you can't focus.

I have no idea how many mag changes to do a day because I seldom ever count them. I don't really see the point in keeping track. I just try to be aware of what is going on during the load, and remember to look at the sights when it is done and aim at something.

I've seen a more than a few people who can get the load done quick and then take a zillion years to shoot after the load is done. Getting the new mag in the gun is only part of being fast on the reload.

Dryfire is great for the first part of the reload, but learning to shoot the target after the load is something many people forget to do. I think that is why there can be a great disparity between dryfire times and live fire times. Par times have their purpose, but thay are not an end to anything, and they don't really tell you how fast/slow you are.

Static relaods not nearly as common as reloads moving right, left, forward, or backward. The reload to moving to the left (for righties) is a totally different motion if you want to keep your muzzle down range. These should be practiced as much or more than the static load IMO.

Some people get so focused on "being fast" on the load, the forget that you still have to aim and pull the trigger after the load...

While you need a certain minimum number of repititions to get better at anything, I agree with L2S that quality is better than quantity.

I'd rather do 100 reloads with my full concentration at hand v. 200 where I'm doing the last 100 just for the sake of getting to 200.

Now, if you can do 200 a day with deliberation (maybe not the best term) then that would be the best of both worlds.

L2S is right as usually .... and I pretty much practice the same way except the part about "The reload to moving to the left (for righties) is a totally different motion if you want to keep your muzzle down range. These should be practiced as much or more than the static load IMO." good stuff Guess what I'm going to start practicing more...

I have been breaking through some barriers with all the extra reloads though ...and think it is worth while to try doing the extra 100 a session(for me ) ...although If I'm not in it mentally it is mostly wasted .I may find I have to back off or even skip doing the them once or twice a week. my back is definitely getting stronger and I'm starting to connect with the gun in new ways

I'm going to have a world class reload, moving , standing ,right-left, left-right and especially on the clock in a match's!

C38

right now my shoulders are sore and my back is stiff ...so i must be doing something right .